Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Really strong drywall anchor for shelves?
    I need a REALLY strong drywall anchor.

I use the EZ anchors a lot for pictures, and other light to moderate stuff

I want to put up some shelves for books, 24" wide and 10" deep using some small-ish, unimposing brackets. Unfortunately, the studs are just not in convenient locations.
    Name:  shelf.jpg
Views: 12548
Size:  3.2 KB
    Is there anything out there that can hold a lot more than the usual 30 lb. anchors? I recently came across the Toggler SnapScru and the EZ anchor version which look promising. They say they hold up to 75 lb, but that is shear strength, and I need "pull" strength as well.

Any experience with these? Anything else out there?

Thanks!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 04:20 AM
    While they're not as "high-tech" as the fasteners you reference, the old-fashioned toggle bolt should give you plenty of pull strength. The only (minor) downside is that if you remove the screw, the "wings" drop down inside the wall (i.e. it can't be reused).

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 05:22 AM
    I like the threaded drywall toggles and the molly bolts shown on The Natural Handyman Home Repair and Do It Yourself Website as they don't require as large a hole as toggle bolts and don't go anywhere if you remove the bolt, although toggle bolts are probably the strongest.

My 3/8 threaded drywall toggles list a 30 lb. pullout and 60 lb. shear. This strength analysis may be useful too.

You might consider a hanging shelf system similar to this but mount a narrow support board on the studs the full width of the wall to look like a piece of trim and then attach the cables to the support board.

Apr 14, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Some good information, thanks to the both of you.

These are useful suggestions; however I am hoping there is still some product or idea out there that might fit my needs a little better

Although I am still committed to a traditional shelf-and-bracket approach, some clever way of tying the studs together without tearing out drywall may work.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    Hardware Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 03:19 AM
    Post a diagram of where the studs are in relation to where the shelf needs to be and the general layout of the wall...

Drywall just isn't a good load bearing material for something heavy like books. The limitation is the drywall, not the anchor. Also, do you even have wood studs? Given the cost reduction trends in newer homes, many have metal drywall furring strips in basements and other masonry areas and thinner drywall.

Plywood and paint the whole wall, mount shelf anywhere?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
    I agree, drywall just isn't designed to withstand much pull before it cracks. If the studs do not allow a pleasing spacing could you screw a 1x6 wooden plate to the wall hitting the studes and then attach your brackets to the plate? The wooden plate can be edges with a router to give it more of an appeal.

Apr 16, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Post a diagram of where the studs are in relation to where the shelf needs to be and the general layout of the wall...

Drywall just isn't a good load bearing material for something heavy like books. The limitation is the drywall, not the anchor. Also, do you even have wood studs? Given the cost reduction trends in newer homes, many have metal drywall furring strips in basements and other masonry areas and thinner drywall.

Plywood and paint the whole wall, mount shelf anywhere?
    I agree, drywall just isn't designed to withstand much pull before it cracks. If the studs do not allow a pleasing spacing could you screw a 1x6 wooden plate to the wall hitting the studes and then attach your brackets to the plate? The wooden plate can be edges with a router to give it more of an appeal.
    here is my cabinet (installed) and shelf(pending) layout, with studs in dotted line
    Name:  shelves 2.jpg
Views: 13154
Size:  58.4 KB

as you can see, the studs (wood) are not spaced quite right for the proposed shelves, and "The Boss" is pretty particular about bracket placement. (I would just as soon put them on the studs and be done with it.)

The ideas of attaching wood, either a sheet of plywood or a 1x6 strip would solve the problem, the latter being likely the easiest. Good suggestions!

I have some unfinished drywall in progress in the basement. I am thinking of testing out a variety of anchors with the shelf and books of interest. I realize that the support should be able to handle much more than the expected load so to be safe AND hold up over time.
    Hardware Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 11:22 AM
    I have nothing against L brackets, but if the Boss is concerned about aesthetics...

You could use a twin-track shelf standard & brackets on the righthand stud to support the shelves and use the cabinets and low profile 1/4'' shelf supports and standards or two rows of 5mm pin supports to support the lefthand side of shelves.

I built an entire basement of book storage with the twin-track system attached to studs. They can handle the weight and are adjustable. I also made an oak printer stand.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychological conflict: strong fear & strong love toward the same girl [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been experiencing some kind of psychological conflict for more than 1 year. Whenever he increases his love to me, his fear of losing me to another man increases. Last year, his psychological conflict made him misunderstand me a lot. For example, when he saw a tiny sign related...

Screw Anchor [ 2 Answers ]

I'll pretend this is the right category. I have what I think is a bit of a silly question. I'm trying to put a coat rack up and decided to use anchors for the screws. I've never really used them before. These are just the very plain plastic anchors -- the kind that look a bit like a fat...

How would I create these tiled inset shelves? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning a complete shower replacement (leaking). Currently in the plans are a pre-fab acrylic corner shower pan with tiled walls. I just saw these pics while browsing around, and I think it would great to do something like this with our shower: ...

Formula for how much wood needed to make shelves [ 6 Answers ]

I need three 17x22 inches I need two 15x41 1/2 one 20x64 three 13x18 how much wood would I need to make these shelves? is there a formula that I could use for the future? thanks

Anchor furniture down [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pool with a vinyl liner and would like to anchor the outdoor chairs and table furniture down. How do I do this on cement we get alt of wind and I do not want the furniture to blow into the pool with a vinyl liner?

View more questions Search