Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wizzo47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Can you use Visine in a cats eye?
    :) Can you use Visine in a cats eye that has yellow and green puss on the outside of the eye?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
    NO!!

Call your vet for instructions on what to do.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Medication for humans are frequently unsafe for cats. Aspirin, for example, is really bad. It sounds as if your cat has an eye infection. Visine is not for infections.

If you can scrape the money together, see a vet and get a cat prescription. If not, it's safer to let the infection go away on its own. Don't let a husband or partner "fix" the problem for you either. Only a vet can prescribe a safe medication.

The cat, looking infected is far better than the cat being dead.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Apr 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
    I echo the other answers - do NOT use Visine!

The yellow and green puss means there is an infection - at best Visine is useless, at worst it can make things much worse. You shouldn't even use Visine for these symptoms on a human - it wouldn't help!

If you are having financial difficulties and have trouble paying for vet bills, take a look at CareCredit. This works like a credit card - they pay the vet then you can pay the bill off over time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
    When I was a kid and my cat had an eye infection, my mom made up a warm-water solution that she put a little bit (note, little bit) of POWDERED boric acid into, and with a small clean cloth gently wiped the edges of the cat's eyes. BUT, cats (and humans) don't like their eyes messed with. Rather than blind your cat, please call a vet.

Visine - NO! Visine is not for eye infections.
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2008, 11:43 PM
    Puss is probably caused because of conjunctivitis, which defined is an inflammation of the conjunctiva (pink part of the eye), or it could be cause by a scratch or such! In any case, depending on where you live, you can buy eye drops that treat pink eye in children (pink eye=conjunctivitis) This should be around the visine and contact solution. This should help and also contains antibiotics that will help if the eye is infected from a scratch.
    Meowy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 05:38 AM
    My cat is not opening her eye all the way there is no puss nor secretion coming out of it what should it
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2010, 02:53 PM

Call your vet.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 03:32 PM

And please do not post on threads 2 years old. I just read this entire thread just to discover your post had nothing to do with this thread.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 22, 2010, 07:21 PM

Don't use Visine! Consult your vet!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2010, 11:18 PM

I really do wonder if you EVER read prior posts before posting. One, OP was already been told several times to not use Visine and to consult a vet. Agreeing with someone once to hit the point home is one thing, but I think the point's already been made, and you've added nothing else at all.

Second, you obviously completely ignored my post noting the fact that the thread is 2 years old.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Sep 25, 2010, 11:07 AM

I always read the full post, and I had. But I noticed even though they posted on someone's else thread, I still wanted to input that they need to consult their vet, because of the severity of their cat having visine in his eye. I did see one person say to go to the vet, and I wanted to add it by agreeing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cats not getting along. [ 2 Answers ]

I have currently 3 cats the first cat named Kaylee has one son living with us and in the past year I adopted over 9 strays but found homes for all but one. Her name is Frankie she is a great companion. My famle Kaylee is awful to the stray. All Frankie does now is hide under my bed. Is there...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

Cats not getting along [ 3 Answers ]

I have just got a large male rescue cat, and for the past 4 weeks, my existing cat has hidden in her bed, not interested at all in food or getting any cuddles from us. I am worried they won't get on ever. I could separate their food as I did when he first moved in, but the rescue cat just goes...

Too many cats? [ 8 Answers ]

My significant other moved into my place with me last year. I already had 5 cats. They are all cats I found on the street and adopted. Hey, I was single! When he moved in, he had a cat of his own plus his step-mom gave us another cat last year. So now we have 7. We do not plan on taking in...

View more questions Search