Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Autumnfey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Can creditor take money from joint account
    We may be going to court with a creditor, and if a judgement is issued against us, I wanted to know if they can request our bank account be freezed if it is a joint account but only I am named in the suit (not my husband). Both of our checks are direct deposited there (which I will be stopping if we do end up going to court). Vermont protects/exempts up to 700 in deposit accounts, but depending on the day our checking account amount varies and could be higher than that. Does it vary state to state (although I couldn't find it specifically for my state - Vermont)?
    Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 03:33 PM
    They can freeze a joint account. I would get a separate account and have the direct deposit changed and get your name off the joint account asap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seized money in joint savings account [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old credit card debt - purchased by Elite Recovery - I sent them a letter saying they were trying to collect on a time-barred debt. They obviously got a judgement because today, they emptied my joint savings account (not enough money in the joint checking account). According to the...

Joint checking account money [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother died on feb.5th 2008. She already transferred her property to my father before she died. Her checking account was a joint one with a friend of the family and her caregiver. The friend|caregiver never put any money in the account or used the account. My question is the money in the...

Can a creditor garnish my wages or take money out of my bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received court papers from an old credit card debt. The paper say I have 30 days to respond or judgement will be ruled in favor of creditor. I called the creditor and they will not take less than $350/month for my $4000 debt. I'm a single mother of 2 and cannot afford $350 a month. ...

Can a creditor just take money from your checking account? [ 2 Answers ]

We just learned an old debt (over 7 years old) just took all our money from our checking account! What can we do? Can they do this? Nobody notified us...

Creditor Garnished $10k from joint account (OR) [ 6 Answers ]

A creditor sued my wife and won a judgment against her only (in Oregon). I was not a party to the suit or the credit card. I recently found out they garnished $10k from our joint bank account (also in OR). The “writ” was signed by the creditor’s attorney, not the court. The bank was quick to...

View more questions Search