Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff807 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Braze or solder 3" copper water line ?
    At work we had to fix a buried 3" copper water line, what is the best way to do it brazing or solder?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff807
    At work we had to fix a buried 3" copper water line, what is the best way to do it brazing or solder ??
    Hello Jeff !
    The main difference between brazing and soldering is the temperature to which the joint is heated when connecting. I doubt however if that difference has much effect on the quality of the joint if the pipe is buried or not. A higher temperature may at least ease the actual joining (in view of the temperature loss to the surrounding area.
    You ask for "the best way", but that depends a lot on the actual situation and the materials used. However your question is rather short on the required details...
    ;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 07:38 PM
    You need to address the following variables: temperature, pressure and corrosion.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Jeff:

I don't think either way is allowed for underground copper pipe. I am 100% sure SOLDERING anything underground is illegal... can't really see why brazing would be any different. Call the local plumbing inspector in your area and ask him what is permissible.

Most likely, You need to purchase a 3" copper COMPRESSION TYPE repair coupling. Not cheap, not possible to find at any local home supply, for sure.

If needed, contact a local plumbing supply house and see what they can do for you. Most likely you will need to find a company that specializes in supply parts for water mains.

Let us know what you find... thanks... Mark

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2008, 05:17 AM
    I am 100% sure SOLDERING anything underground is illegal
    Bang on Mark! We rough our slabs with type "L" soft copper and bring then up out of the ground in the walls to manifolds to connect them. The one time we roughed a town house with underground joints the inspecter made up pump up to 125 PSI and hold it overnight. However in our area for a underground leak, it's admissible to cut the bad piece out and solder in a replacement. HVAC guys braze their copper joints, plumbers solder. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff807
    At work we had to fix a buried 3" copper water line, what is the best way to do it brazing or solder ??
    It depends on where you are located, which code prevails in your area and what type of ground cover will be used.

A number of municipalities, including most of the West Coast will allow the use of 95/5 solder for burial if it is easily accessible in the future -- If it's to be buried under concrete, then silver bearing brazing rods are required.

Your best bet is to find out what the local authority allows for your particular scenario.

If soldering is allowed, then I would choose this option over brazing -- The high heat required to braze copper, particularly hard drawn copper, can leave the pipe brittle and susceptible to damage from material used as backfill.

If your local authority requires brazing, then buy several bags of sand to use as backfill over the top and bottom of the brazed fittings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solder fittings to Type M copper [ 1 Answers ]

What challenges do I face if my existing plumbing is Type M? Existing copper is 35+ years old. I purchased Type L copper lines. I don't think my fittings were typed.

If I solder a small copper fitting will the heat melt the existing joints? [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to soldering and am wondering if I solder to a fitting with an existing soldered joint will the heat re-melt the solder in the first joint?

Changing wiring to use "second line" rather than "first" line on specific jack [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, and thanks! I have two phone lines (telephone numbers) coming into the house. I want to change a particular jack from one line to the other (exclusively for a fax). The current jack has a pair of tan wires going to "black (heavier wire and screw)", a pair of blue wires going to "red", a pair...

Loud Bangs Coming from PVC waste pipe and Hot Water Copper Line [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had a crack and leak in our PVC waste pipe just behind our family room wall close to the first story floor. The plumber opened up the drywall and cut out the cracked portion (2 feet) which exended from just behind the family room wall down to the basement and replaced it with a new...

Periodic "gushing" noise in main water line [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement, the main water line comes in through one of the basement walls. I don't think I've heard this before, but periodically, I hear water rushing noises coming from the line. When I go down to the basement, it's like water is rushing in, stopping, then rushing in, etc... Could be...

View more questions Search