Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huskyjjc Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Mar 5, 2006, 12:25 AM
    Lead bend
    My master bath had a leak at the toilet so I pulled the toilet up and found that the closet flange and the lead bend where no good. The lead pipe is so bent and you can allmost put your finger threw it the lead bend goes into a cast pipe and I would like to replace the bend if anyone has a clue on what to do I would love to here it
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjjc
    my master bath had a leak at the toilet so i pulled the toilet up and found that the closet flange and the lead bend where no good. the lead pipe is so bent and you can allmost put your finger threw it the lead bend goes into a cast pipe and i would like to replace the bend if anyone has a clue on what to do i would love to here it
    Hey Husky,
    I assume that the lead closet bend attaches to a cast iron pipe Remove the closet flange and the lead bend all the back to where you have the end of a cast iron pipe. Convert to PVC using a No-Hub Coupling, (see image) and run PVC from there. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Mar 5, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Thanks speedball I will give it a try but can you tell me how to get the lead bend out of the cast ( the main waste pipe in the house) with out breaking the cast pipe or breaking my a**
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Before I can tell you how to remove it I'll have to know how it's connected. Brass furule on a bald end? Lead bend caulked into a castiron hub? Please give me the details. Regards, Tom

Mar 5, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Caulked in a cast hub
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjjc
    caulked in a cast hub
    OK, You have options. You can saw off the hub and convert to PVC using the No-Hub Band. Or I can tell you how to remove the caulked lead and oakum joint and install a piece of PVC . The easiest being door number one.
    Your choice. Tom

Mar 5, 2006, 12:40 PM
    How about door number 2, this pipe looks like it will break you see the house is only 36 yrs old but it was not made all that well and things seem to fall apart when you fix something . I have already fixed many other plumbing problems and it's the type of house that you say who did this they had no clue what they where doing
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2006, 01:26 PM
    To remove a poured lead and oakum joint take a 3/8" drill bit and drill a few holes down past the lead and into the oakum.. Push a screwdriver under the lead ring and lever it up. Once it's free you can began to peel the lead ring out. Now pick out the oakum and you can pull the joint apart.
    You now have the open hub and here's where you may need outside help. To convert to PVC from a hub you'll have to (1) yarn,pour and caulk a lead and oakum joint, or (2) get a Dual-Tite Gasket,(see image) and some Dual-Tite lubricant and take a file and bevel the end of the PVC so it slips in easier. You can also shave off a few of the ridges off the gasket to get the PVC started. You can check them out at, http://www.missionrubber.com/ancient/11.html Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Combo Wye and 1/8th Bend / Venting Question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. I'm installing a toilet/lav/shower in my basement (concrete slab). The toilet will drain through a 3 foot long 4" PVC pipe @ 1/4" per foot and tee into the existing vertical 4" cast iron main, which is vented through the roof. The lav will drain through a 4 foot long 2" cast iron main,...

Closet bend necessary [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling the bathroom and want to put a new flange on the toilet. The old one is cast iron with oakum? And lead connection to the closet bend. I would like to change to ABS but all the fittings (closet bends) that I find at the retail stores are too deep (>8 in to bottom) and put me below...

Lead poison [ 4 Answers ]

Was paint with lead used on old models Of matchbox cars?

Lead solder [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any alternatives to resolder a lead solder joint besides lead?

Closet Bend [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, So, yes, I'm learning about plumbing. Please excuse the basic question... What is unique about a "closet bend" fitting? Also, is it applicable to a wall-mounted rear-drain toilet mounted to a wall with 6-inch studs and a near horizontal drain branch along the wall from the toilet?...

View more questions Search