Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamieJen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Trying to Install a basement stand up shower drain, need assistance?
    Hi all, Just got a question, I am attempting to install my stand up shower(MAXX), drain, I have a 2" PVC pipe coming out from the basment concrete floor. When I put the drain on to the base of the shower and lay it on the desired location it dosen't sit flat because of the bottom part of the drain on the base sticks out farther then the base so it won't lay flat. Do I have to break up the concrete or can I just build up the shower with a 2X4 base that I could build to raise it the base up??

Thanks in advance to any replies
    Jamie
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Hi Jamiejen:

Your shower will probably be sturdier if you remove the concrete around the pipe and then set the shower. As always, there are concerns here... could always crack the pipe and that would be bad.. so trick with this will be to work inches away from stubbed pipe and chisel down and around pipe... but never point cold chisel at pipe (could also rent a little chipping hammer for this)... understand?

If build up on 2" x 4" platform of some kind, make sure the 2"x4" studs are pressure treated studs, and install a layer of 3/4" plywood over the studs to create a sturdy platform... then cut a 6 inch hole at drain center and set the shower base.

IF you really want to do a BANG UP JOB! Then set the shower base in a bed of perlited structolite plaster or a bed or modified thinset mortar (both sold at home supply stores)... here, set plastic bags on wood platform (if concrete floor do not need plastic) and then place the mortar or plaster on top.. and set the shower... level and install. Then do not step in base for 24 hours or so. This results in shower base with no noise or motion when stepped into... but.. up to you!!

Hey, if need more... let us know... Mark
    JamieJen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Thanks a lot for your help, I will probably inbed it in some mortar to raise it up thanks a lot for your help I can visualize it the way it should be thanks again
    Jamie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stand up Shower Drain Connection [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lasco shower unit. I'm installing it in the basement on concrete. I have a 2 inch PVC pipe extending out of the floor. How much pipe do I leave above the floor? Most of all is if I buy a Oatley connector, after I secure it to the shower itself, do I just slip the shower unit over the...

Stand up shower drain leakes [ 4 Answers ]

Our stand up shower in our bedroom leaks by the drain, we took out the old drain and replaced it w/a new one but it still leaks. Please help...

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

Basement Drain is positioned for a bathtub, we want to install a shower [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of developing our basement. The floor plan that was used by the builder called for a bathtub in the bathroom, so the drain pipe is positioned for a bathtub. We want to install a shower, but the drain hole does not line-up. It is off by about 2 feet. Is there any simple...

Basement Shower Install [ 4 Answers ]

I have a basement with a rough-in for a 1/2 bath but would like to add a shower. If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap? If I do need a trap how much space is needed from drain to trap and trap to main line? Also can I utilize the drain pipe for...

View more questions Search