Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolf0994 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Recommended water pump/tank size
    Hello,

I own a 2 story 4 bedroom 3 bathroom home with 2 adults and 5 children (4 girls). We have a private shallow well and we are having water pressure problems. I have researched as much as I could to ensure intelligent questions here. I have a GE 1/2 hp jet style pump and Champion water tank CH6000 (26 gallon cap.) I am assuming based off the dimensions. My pressure settings are 40/60 and based off that my drawdown is 7.6 gallons. My pump seems to turn on and run for the minimum 60 sec recommended time.

However, when I shower in my bathroom with is the furthest and highest from the pump I get 'ok' water pressure if that's the only thing on. I do get a high pitched screeching sound coming from either the pipes or the fixture for a few minutes then as long as no other water is running it will go away.

The problem is if someone turns ANYTHING else on, my water pressure dies. If its just a toilet flush then I can still continue to shower but the screech comes back. I do get less pressure but not horrible. If someone turns on the kitchen sink my pressure just about gets cut in half. If there are 2 other items on... its practically nothing and rather annoying with the screech.

The house is only 10 years old and does have a water softener on the house side of the water pump. I do change the filters at least every 3 months. That sometimes helps. If I bypass the water softener all together it is better, but that's not an option in my area as the well water is quite full of hydrogen sulfate and can get quite rusty.

I have tried to find a guide to tell me if I need to boost the size of tank/pump that is currently in use. I found a table that suggested I need "peak 7min" time of 1 GPM per fixture which would total 13 GPM, and another table based off the number of bathrooms that indicates 17 GPM. I am suspicious that this 1/2 hp pump - 26 gallon tank is providing that kind of water delivery. Please advise further on recommended upgrades if any. I was thinking of going with an 86 gallon tank from WellSaver and a 1hp pump, prob the Gould J10S Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 05:07 AM
    The screeching sounds most likely being made buy a loose washer or an obstruction in the pipes at a valve. Most likely a loose washer. It could be at the shower valve or any valve between the shower and the tank that the water passes through on its way to the shower, including the water heater inlet valve.

If you have a 26 gal pressure tank you have approximately 8 or 9 gallons of usable water before pump comes on. If you have a bladder tank you have something more than that, probably 10 to 13 gallons. After that the water volume and pressure is coming directly from the pump. The pump can provide the required volume for the shower but not for anything else.
    Many years ago when I was establishing a mobile home park I was required to provide 5 gallon per minute for 15 minutes peak use (if I remember correctly) per household.

A larger tank will extend the time which the shower will be unaffected by the use of water at some other point but will not eliminate the drop in pressure entirely. A larger pump also extend the time and will reduce the effect, which occurs after the tank has been depleted. I would say that with 4 women in the house you need a big tank and a big pump.

Apr 6, 2008, 05:40 AM
    If the noise is from a loose washer then it is probably near the shower because that's the only room that gets the noise. Any suggestions on locating it? Also I looked at the manufacter's website for my tank and its only 7.6 gallons before the pump kicks on. I have tried to find the GPM capability of the pump with no luck. It is just some generic 1/2 hp GE pump. So I am assuming its not real stellar. Thanks for your reply.

Apr 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
    Is you shower valve one handle or two.

If you want to know the volume of your system, with the tank pressure at 60lbs. And the pump off use a hose and bucket to measure the volume of water until the pump comes on. Time how long the pump take to restore the 60 lbs of pressure. This will tell you the effective gpm of your well and pump. If you want to know the maximum rate of the well and pump, empty the tank completely, with the pump running measure how long it takes to fill a 5 gal bucket.

Apr 6, 2008, 06:22 AM
    One, rotating handle

Apr 6, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Then you have a cartridge with "o" rings not likely to be there but could be. Know the brand?

Apr 6, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Not off hand, I am currently at work I will check when I get home this morning and see if it is indicated anywhere. I will test the GPM and such when I get home.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 6, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Good morning Wolf,
    The way I track vibration down is to feel where the vibration's the strongest. Your noise could be a bit if trash that got sucked up into a valve, my bet's on the shower valve, Shut the water off and remove the cartridge. Check and clean bthge inlet ports and before you button it back turn the hot and cold water back on for a moment to flush out the supplies and open valve body.
    I'm not a big pump man. I live in a urban area next to the coast with a high water table. Most of our pumps are shallow well sprinkler systems But you have a volume problem. Your filter, your water softener, they all cut down the volume delivered. It's obvious with 4 females in yoiur home taking back to back showers that you need a system with increased capacity. Both with the pump delivering more volume and a larger tank to store it in. This link may be helpful: http://www.goulds.com/pdf/ttechwp.pdf Just curious, how are you doing on hot water? Let's here back from you. Regards, Tom

Apr 6, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Hello Tom, and by the way stroud,

I tested my pressure tank this morning... I get 6 gallons out before the pump kicks on. The pump then runs for 1 min 20 secs. I have it set at 40/60 so I assume that means I am getting an effective 4 GPM. And my shower fixture that is screeching is a Moen. Tom, are you meaning taking the fixture off and cleaning out the valves right there at the fixture? Because I have one of those plastic tub/shower molded things there so I cannot get into the wall to feel the vibrations.

I am getting plenty of hot water due to living in North Pole, Alaska and having water base board heating with a heating oil boiler for heat and a hot water heater attached to it for storage of the hot water... I basically have never ending hot water but thankfully the boiler heats both my baseboard heating and heats my hot water for house usage with a 50 gallon water heater for storage. However I have two filters and the water softener. I have a rope filter, then the softener, then a carbon filter, then the line leads to the water heater and into the house. This is a common set up for up here in Alaska as when spring comes we get quite a bit of sediment in our water.

I will look at that link as soon as I wake up. I am quite tired as I just worked a 12 hr shift. But I wanted to test the GPM before I go to bed. Thank you. And I look forward to both of your responses when I wake up. Have a great day
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 6, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Tom, are you meaning taking the fixture off and cleaning out the valves right there at the fixture? Because I have one of those plastic tub/shower molded things there so I cannot get into the wall to feel the vibrations.
    You don't have to open the wall to feel if the knob vibrates. Our company installs nothing but Moen, do you need instruction on how to take the cartridge out and flush the supplies?
    I'm thinking 3/4 horse pump and a 80 gallon tank. Does that work for you? Rergards, tom

Apr 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You don't have to open the wall to feel if the knob vibrates. Our company installs nothing but Moen, do you need instruction on how to take the cartridge out and flush the supplies?
    I would love some intructions, but before I do that... I tested something today when I got up. Our shower head has a manual flow restricter slide on it. When I moved that slide to about the half way position instead of wide open the noise stopped, even when other fixtures were on. My pressure still went way down with other fixtures on, but the noise stopped. Could it be my actual shower head and not the fixture? Or would this just have covered up the problem at the knob?

Also 3/4 hp and 80Gal sound great. I relooked at the gould 3/4 pump and noticed at 40PSI which is when it would turn on would deliver exactly the volume I am looking for. Thank you for that advice. I think a 1hp pump might actually fill the tank to fast.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2008, 04:54 AM
    Since you've tamed the vibration you probably won't need to flush out your shower valve but since I'[ve had it loaded I'll send the instructions for removing a cartridge on through. . Remove insert button (bathroom) to expose screw.
    Remove the screw and pull off handle assembly.
    Turn off shut off valves underneath the sink.
    Remove retainer clip (copper horseshoe shaped clip) and pull out cartridge with channel locks, pliers, or cartridge puller. Lube new cartridge with silicone jel and
    Insert the cartridge with hole on the stem facing the 6 o'clock position, or down in a tub/shower.
    Reinsert retainer clip and screw in handle assembly, followed by the cap or insert button. Turn water back on under sink. My company uses Moen valves on all their new construction. Moen makes a "cartridge puller" That will get those stubborn cartridges out of the valve body if you have a problem.
    Hope I've helped, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

New well tank and pump [ 26 Answers ]

We have installed a new well pump and tank the problem we are having is this The water pumps but the pump runs kind of like the tanks not filling up what would cause the tank not to fill thanks

Size black pipe for the hot water tank and furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what is the correct size black pipe is used for the furnace and hot water tank 1/2" and 3/4" Thank you

Septic tank size [ 1 Answers ]

Im building an RV park in Mexico and need t build a septic tank for 35 plus restaurant. How big must I build my septic tank? I was thinking 5 meters by 1o meters by 2meters deep. We arfe on a hill and we will drain down some 49 feet upabove where the septic tank will be. Any advice? Thanks Surfer...

View more questions Search