Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QuickWitKat Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Painful lump next to ear on jaw
    This lump is beginning to be painful and is located in front of my ear over the hinge for my left jaw. I have noticed that it extends into the muscles at the back of my throat. Could this be stress related, I lost my husband a month ago and have been going through a terrible time.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

QuickWitKat
    Pathprof Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Have you been to the dentist lately? Sounds like it may be an abscess that is caused by a bacterial infection. Is the bump red? This would indicate inflammation.

Jan 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I have not been to the dentist lately and the knot is not red. Antibotics are helping with the swelling, however, the pain is getting worse to the point of sleepless nights. Thanks for the response.
    QuickWitKat
    Tonyfmp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickWitKat
    This lump is beginning to be painful and is located in front of my ear over the hinge for my left jaw. I have noticed that it extends into the muscles at the back of my throat. Could this be stress related, I lost my husband a month ago and have been going through a terrible time.

QuickWitKat
    Hi quick. Have you gotten better? Any swolling of throat/neck glands?

Feb 9, 2007, 08:10 PM
    I didn't notice it until the major swelling went down, but there is a swelling down under the jaw line.

QuickWitKat
    Fireant2222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 07:49 PM

QuickWitKat
    I am not a physician but my experience is that many people get bumps in that region of the face. Ligaments, ligament covering, tendons, lymph nodes and VERY rarely parotid tumors (over 80% benign) are possibilities.

You are not gravely ill. Just keep an eye on it and get it checked if the stress or anxiety gets the best of you. The odds are that it's nothing. And even if it is, it can be resolved.

NOTE: A co-worker in our office is currently complaining of the same symptoms.
    Ken

Feb 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Thanks for the reply, the gland is almost disappeared with just a little bump in front of the ear and still some swelling along the jaw. The pain has all but gone away. Stress is a real killer and between my husbands sudden death, proving an informal marriage (which is recognized in Texas), estate matters (children trying to take everything) and being a paralegal, I am sure I have my share of STRESS...

Again thanks for the reply
    QuickWitKat
    esoliver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 05:00 AM

QuickWitKat
    Swelling, lump, pain in front of ear
    theun4givenkiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
    My 8 year old daughter came home from school today and she has a semi hard lump in front of her ear. Her nurse from school called me and asked me to look at it. Any ideas? Please
    daynsb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
    I had a lump size of a grape lasted for months. It was from eye drops. The drops end up in the glands there.
    Just keep it in mind while trying to find the answer.
    Biker17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 08:34 AM
    I Have been having headaches and all sorts of things with my throat and neck after I had a virus before christmas, I have now got a serious of movable lumps that feel like fat lumps under my left ear connected to my jaw which feel like strained muscle and it is very annoying, I have hayfever as well and use eye drops, so yo say that eye drops could build up in the glands there? Part of the virus was glandular fever as well so it sounds even more likley but I have already been to the doctors at least 8 times since christmas and am trying to avoid going unless it stays and gets worse... I think I need a scan of my whole body to put my mind at rest :L
    kissiscosmic Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Jun 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
    It could be a swollen lymph node or even an inner ear infection. I would recommend warm compresses and if you start feeling any pain in your ear I would tale your lobe and pull it gently.. Sometimes we can get water blockages in our ears and if you tug at your ear it can help to unclog and drain it. But if it's just a swollen lymph node it will go away over time.. Warm compresses and tylenol will help with the pain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lump Behind Ear [ 2 Answers ]

Hello and thanks in advance, I have had a lump behind my ear for a long time now, over 2 years. I haven't noticed it grow significantly. I'm only 14 and it's seemed to grow as I grow so it's always in proportion. I just thought I'd check here for your expertise.

Lump behind my ear... I'm only 15 [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I also have a small lump behind my ear, I noticed it yesterday and it does hurt a bit when I move my ear, what could this be? I have never had me ear pierced or any other problems related to my ear. Any one know what it could be? Should I see my doctor?

Lump Behind Ear? [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I have descovered that I have a bump behind my right ear. It wasn't there until few days ago when I noticed it. When I touch it, its hard but does not hurt. I don't know what it may be, can some one please tell me what it could be and if I need to see a doctor. Thanks

Lump behind my ear [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I've had a lump behind my ear for over a month now, at first I thought it was a spot but it didn't go away and has started to get sore, it's the size of a pea. What should I do :confused:

Lump behind ear [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a lump on my head. On the hairless area right behind my ear. It's about the size of a nickel, kind of hard, definitely not attatched to my skull because I can move it around, and it itches from time to time. I've had it for about a year I guess. Any guesses on what it might be?

View more questions Search