Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randomguy19 Posts: 81, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2007, 02:40 AM
    500 Calories a day
    Is 500 calories a day for about a week OK? Then I'll switch to 1200 calories a day after a week?
    Nebula Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

May 29, 2007, 03:43 AM
    Only if you want to feel extremely fatigued, light headed and the list goes on. What exactly do you want to achieve? If it is only weightloss then you know the best,easiest and healthiest way I have discovered is the Live Cleanse Diet, but that's only if you are prepared do give up dairy products, meat for a short time and other things. It is easy if you want to understand the workings of it. Otherwise you can do juicing, oh my God, when I did this (and I'm the sort of person who despised any sort of diet or exercise) I couldn't believe how extraordinarily energised and light I felt in one day! After 1 week of 2 juices a day plus only 1 meal, usually salad and tuna/chicken, and heaps of herb teas, I had lost.. I don't know exactly how many kilos I'd lost, it was awhile ago, but I hadn't seen those ribs in years! If you want to be healthy and be that thin self of yours, then you will find what you want! Be Happy.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Absolutely Not! For fat loss, reduce calories by at leat 100 to 500 calories a day. Never go under 1000 calories, it's just unheathy. You body needs certain vitamins, minerals and protein in order to operate properly. Remember start with small changes, a 500 calorie deficit per day below your BMR will help you lose 1 pound in a week-(thru food choice elimination and exercise). Start with a major goal, like losing 10% of your body weight. Drink 1/2 your weight in water (divide your weight x 2 , 140 lbs =70 oz = around 9 cups water). Eliminate fast, fatty or fried foods. Eat smaller portions, a serving of meat is 3 ounces, eat skinless chicken, turkey breast, fish loin type meats, veggies, legumes, 2-3 servings of low fat or skim milk, low fat or skim cheese and low fat yogurt (watch sugar content), cut out soda or presweetened drinks, check nutritional labels and stick to one serving sizes. Eat whole grain breads, cereals, rice and pastas.. Don't miss any meals. Crash dieting degrades muscle and increases fat. You lose muscle and water not fat and your fat % will be higher. If you don't get the right combinations of fruit, veggies, grains, protein your body responds by slowing metabolism. And you end up not able to burn calories as fast. Your body adjust to all new calorie intakes.
    addy Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
    I heard somewhere that when dieting don't go any lower than 1,000 cal per day
    E3317 Posts: 103, Reputation: -5

Jun 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I don't think that is a good idea. Your body my go into famine mode and starts burining calories extremely slow. It is a survivial technique. So it may not be worth the trouble, because when you go to the 1200 caloire diet you will have trouble burning it.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
    I've been doing that for the past week
    Lets just sayy,, it works.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    ive been doing that for the past week
    lets just sayy,,, it works.
    Well congrats, if your seeing the results you want,. but the sides effects, truly are not healthy!:( Weakeness is just one sign... we are just making the point --that it is totally unhealthy to do it this way! You body needs many vitamins and minerals a day as well as protein, in order, just to function. So cutting yourself off to the point of starvation for diet sake, is totally unfair for you body as a whole, organs, brain, well being, and general moods. Why not try to be satisfied with 2-3 lbs loss a week. the healthy way and this way you will keep it off and live healthy for a life time? :rolleyes: I totally understand people wanting to lose weight fast, but sometime we have to be logical, you didn't get overweight, overnight, it all takes, time, patience, healthy foods, and exercise, to change a livelong way of bad eating/living habits!
    SubodhGupta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Hi There,

If you staying on 500 calories a day for a week considering faster weight loss in the future , It will be highly unhealthy and in fact you may end up gaining weight later on.

The reason is when you start taking lesser calories intake, your body metabolism rate will come down which will slow down burning the calories in your body and your weight loss process will slow down.

Also when you kill the hunger you want to eat more and the moment when we loose control we end of up eating more and that is why many women goes through YO-YO effect.

In general your calories intake should not go down less than about 1200 calories a day.

With Best Regards
    Subodh Gupta
    SlightlyBroken Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 08:59 AM

No it's a bad idea. I went on a diet a few years ago where I only ate 800 calories a day and I ran 2 miles a day. My mom is a doctor and when she found out she flipped. It's pretty unhealthy.
    LinDz1982 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Restricting your diet that much may help short term, but when you begin to consume the 1,200 calories after restricting your body to 500, it's just going to make you gain the weight back, and plus you are doing a disservice to your body because restricting calories that much is going to make you weak, irritable, and you will have a feeling of less energy. The best thing to do if you are trying to lose weight is get yourself a good workout plan with cardio and strength training intervals to help speed up your metabolism, drink plenty of water, take a multi vitamin, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, make sure you get a sufficient amount of lean protein in your diet, and most importantly, don't skip breakfast. Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism and it will keep you from eating more throughout the day so you will automatically consume less calories. Also, try drinking green tea instead of coffee or pop to give you that extra boost you need. It boosts your metabolism, and helps to burn extra calories. Try drinking about three to six cups a day. Keep up with this routine and you will see fast results, and feel, and look better. Don't forget to stretch ebfore and after your workouts as well because that will help you become leaner as well. I hope this was helpful to you, and good luck.
    JBELLPARKS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Do you have a 2 meal a day diet by dr stillman?
    NoLogicJustLove Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2009, 05:55 PM

You'll probably gain weight in the transition.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Just an FYI...

The OP'er is still active on the boards here, but hasn't responded to this post, which is 13 months old, at all since the original post...

So... until the OP'er takes some time to address this issue and respond to the kind feedback you all have given... might be best to put your efforts elsewhere. Not saying new opinions aren't right or are unwelcomed... but I'm wary of spending time on threads where the OP'er isn't interested, interacting, and its many months old.
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 5, 2009, 10:04 AM
    A diet that consists of less than 1000 calories per day qualifies as anorexia, did you know that? Women should have 1200-1600 calories per day. Men should have 1600-2000 per day to keep vital body functions working.
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 5, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    just an FYI...

the OP'er is still active on the boards here, but hasnt responded to this post, which is 13 months old, at all since the original post...

so... until the OP'er takes some time to address this issue and respond to the kind feedback you all have given... might be best to put your efforts elsewhere. not saying new opinions arent right or are unwelcomed... but im wary of spending time on threads where the OP'er isnt interested, interacting, and its many months old.
    That's true. Or maybe they don't know how to respond? I should have read this before posting..
    dying2bethinner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
    I have lost 6 lbs in one week by eating less than 500 calories a day and yes there are side effects to it, but its not as terrible as some make it out to seem.
    nofinishline Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 06:13 PM
    Bull. 500 calories a day totally works. Just work your off in the weight room whilst on the diet. Rock on.
    geraldcoertzen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 04:34 AM
    Nebula which two juices do you recommend?
    Inesita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Hello, I got to say that 500 calories a day DEFINITELY does work. The thing is this short term 7 days does NOT KILL YOU!! And it will not make your metabolism shut down so fast after one week. I would eat 1/2 cup Fiber One with skim milk, (150 calories) 2 hours later one orange (50 calories), 3 hours later water packed tuna with spinach (200 calories)(plain with lemon juice) and finally rice cake (60 calories) or light and lively yogurt (80 calories). I would walk/jog in 2 hour sessions on my treadmill. Wter, diet soda and coffee also would fill my day. So, yes it is a sacrifice but what helps is thinking that it is only one week. I would take the GNC super gold multivitamins to a day and even though you feel deprived of food it is only one week and then you can eat. Now don't go stuffing your face with 8 slices of pizza because anyone on or off this 500 calorie diet will gain weight. YES this diet works. And its up to you if you want to do it again. Sometimes a little sacrifice pays off. WINK!
    jackie5000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 07:49 AM

It is not a good idea to cut calories so low but if you have already done this just continue with the 1200 calories each day. You will lose 2 to 3 pounds each week. Be sure to increase liquids and cut fat grams down to no more than 25 grams each day. Increase your fiber because that helps with weight loss and fiber also expands in your stomach and gives you a full feeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Calories VS fat intake? [ 3 Answers ]

Need to know which is most important my daily calorie intake, or fat intake, in order to lose weight, I eat a lot of fast food, and don't really cook, live on a lot of mcdonalds?

Burning Calories [ 3 Answers ]

Is There Really Much Of A Difference Between Jogging And Using A Stationary Bike At Home. I've Heard 30 Minutes Of Cardio Is Good... but Which One Would Burn Calories More To Lose The Fat?

Calories [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website where you can give them your intake of daily foods and work out your calories.

Trane 500 AC [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 10 year old central AC and it started to do this split second double start, then it runs just fine cooling the house. What do you think it is? Mike

How many calories for a daschund? [ 1 Answers ]

My daschund is struggling with a slight weight problem, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the correct amount of calories a daschund should eat in a day? He's a regular sized daschund with a normal activity level, and he's 4 and a half years old. Thanks for any help!

View more questions Search