Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lamd Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Phone rings, DSL works, but no dial tone
    My landline is doing something odd. The DSL works just fine and the filters are installed correctly, but I have no dial tone. The phone will ring and caller ID works, but when I pick up there's nothing. When I hang up it continues to ring. This is happening on all the jacks. I have tried unplugging everything for a while and it didn't change anything. We moved into this place recently and I have no idea where the NID is. There is one in the basement that is not in use anymore, but I can't find the new one. I spoke to verizon and they say the problem is inside wiring. When I explained what was happening they said it sounded like hardware trouble. I bought another phone and the problem persists. Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? If we had a problem with the wiring would the DSL still work? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 01:49 PM
    How many filters are you using? Single or dual jacks on the filters.

Is phone underground or overhead. Try following the utilities. If the installers did a good job, the NID will be located where electric, cable and phone enter the premesis.

You need to find the NID and use the test jack to determine if it's an inside or outside problem. It can be in the NID.

The ring voltage can clear oxidized connections.

Why do you think the NID isn't in use anymore?

Do you own a voltmeter?

You will get the best performance with DSL with a splitter installed at the NID with the 1/2 ringer removed. Filters are not required then.

Some phones are polarity sensitive. This could possibly be an issue because tip and ring (the two wires of the telephone circuit) are reversed.
    lamd Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Thanks for the response. I was using two jacks. One had a cordless phone connected to it with a filter. The other had a two line adapter plugged in that Verizon supplied. A corded phone was plugged into one side with a filter and the modem was plugged into the other without a filter. Everything was working fine with this setup for a few months.

The phone is underground. I followed the utilities and they all go into the basement at one spot and there is no NID. It would make sense for it to be there but little makes sense in this house! The box in the basement is an old AT&T box that has nothing plugged into it and there are some cut cables going out of it.

I don't own a voltmeter but can get one. What do you mean by the ring voltage can clear oxidized connections?

Could it still be the inside wiring if dsl is working?

Thanks again!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Verizon should supply a NID. If there isn't one, have Verizon install one. It also provides surge protection for the telephone line. The usually use the SNI-4600. http://www.afltele.com/resource%20ce...s/sni-4600.pdf

Ask them to install an LPF-200 DSL splitter and a Subscriber Interface Device without any electronics.

There is a good chance that they will do that for nothing.

You cannot and should not do anything unless that demarcation device is present.

I usually use the highest pair as the DSL line when it exits the NID. In your case, I'd connect Line 2 of a standard telco jack to DSL.

In the house a standard phone can be used anywhere.

Although not the best solution, any jack can use the DSL modem. Just purchase an adapter that says Line1, Line2, Line1+Line2. Plug the DSL modem into Line 2.

The best solution is to just bring the DSL pair to the middle of the house and install a wireless router.

If you use structured wiring, then things might be different. Cable telco and video originate from the same box.

It is important to have the "access point" of a wireless system in the middle of the house for best coverage. The "access point" is where the wireless antennae is. The modem is best placed as close to the demarkation point as possible. All rooms (telephone, internet) should terminate at a central location. That's neither here nor there.

It's not even necessary to have dial tone to have DSL. You can get DSL without an active phone line. So yes, DSL can work and phones may not.

If you connect a regular phone to the DSL line, you will hear high pitched noises in the background when the DSL modem is turned on. Turn the modem off, it's a regular phone line.

The ring voltage is about 70 V rms at about 20 Hz. This voltage can break down oxidation of terminals. Off hook is about 50V and on hook is about 5 DC. On hook draws about 10 mA or so from the line. The on hook condition is essentially current regulated.

Get the NID installed! It provides transient protection as well as demarcation.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Good advice from KISS, I believe he may have gotten On and Off Hook reversed by accident.
    When you go off hook, the voltage drops, and dial tone is heard. Off hook is a lower voltage than on hook.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone Line No Dial Tone, But Works with incoming calls [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone here can help me with this. I have only one phone line at home,Verizon landline, with a regular phone connected to a wall, and a panasonic cordless 5.8ghz phone with extra handset. Everything works fine 95% percent of the time but 3 times in the last month when I wake up in the...

No dial tone, but DSL works [ 7 Answers ]

I live in an older duplex that has only one phone jack in the whole place. I'm no longer getting a dial tone, but the DSL (which is obviously plugged into that same jack) still works. The phone company says they get a dial tone at my box outside. I have tried different phones and my TiVo on that...

No Dial Tone, But When Calling Rings and Rings [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a two line jack that was working fine a few days ago, but now Line 2 has no dial tone and when calling, it rings and rings. Also, on my Panasonic 2 line phone (KX-TG2740), the line shows up as off the hook, except when I try a test call to the number. Tried another phone and...

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search