Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 7, 2005, 09:04 PM
    Are Potatoes Okay For Dogs?
    Is it safe to feed a dog 1 1/2 tsp. boiled potato, mixed in with their food, two times per day, everyday?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2005, 09:48 PM
    Potatoes as such are not harmful to dogs. They are useful along with boiled chicken when a dog has a digestive upset. They are a rice source of calories, vitamins, and minerals. However, they are short on fats and proteins. Baby is a fairly small dog, and 1 1/2 tablespoons is quite a bit for her. As long as she isn't having digestive problems, it is best to stick to a kibble giving her the complete and balanced diet she needs.
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 8, 2005, 10:07 PM
    Success of treatments for: dog "baby"- using natural products!
    RE:IMPACTED ANAL GLAND-UNDER CONTROL USING HOMEMADE RECIPE FORMULA AT MEALTIME, PLUS-ENVIRONMENTAL ALLERGIES: NO MORE CORTISONE PILLS - USING NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS TREATMENT Labman-thanks for the information. The reason I need to use potatoes is that, after experimenting with different foods, for quite awhile(to check if her digestive system would accept or not, re:sensitive stomach-as, before I rescued her, she was,unfortunately, never fed dog food :eek: , but made to "beg",so that she could eat, +thrown,very low end dog biscuits, full of chemicals, sugar, etc.When I finally got her out of that hell hole, the poor thing was so thin, unhealthy,& with chronic diarrhea(for quite a long time-all over the house!)+she was terrified that I would beat her,as they did, :mad: each time she had to urinate or pass stool!as she was never toilet trained,never went outside for a walk-she lived,slept,plus did her toilet in a cage!(they would leave her 4-5 days in the cage and go out of town!) And when they did, on occasion let her out of the cage, she would immediately make on the floor,as she was so mixed up,terrified,etc.because they would beat her immediately-so with time,love,+only positive encouragement,(I have never raised my voice to her)I had to gain her trust, I trained her to go outside for walks,PLUS, she is also able to go indoors in a box! (The reason I had to box-train her was that I am not always able to take her out as I am not always well enough, so I am very happy and proud about this! :D (you may be interested to know,that each time she does go in the box she comes running tail-a-wagging, grinning ear to ear. To wherever I am-to tell me to come and follow her, she shows me what she did in the box! :)... PLUS TO RECEIVE PRAISE +THE TINY TREAT I ALWAYS STILL GIVE HER, she is very smart+proud!)So, she also had impacted anal glands, and because she is so afraid of so many things, I felt that I had to find a way to treat her myself, and I am quite proud to say, after trial and error, I have developed a little recipe,and it is now under control; so far,she has had only to go to the vet one time,for "expressing" the anal glands,(and now she has a nice long stool -rather than little pieces-which is a way to know,when the stool is not that healthy).I changed her food completely to another HOLISTIC TYPE brand, which I discovered,called "MERRICK" (the flavour:"Grammy's Pot Pie" kibble) mixed in with 1 tsp. of boiled potatoe+1 1/2 tsp.of chicken(which I freeze into handy little packages)+1/4 tsp. crushed flax seeds,+ 1/4 tsp."Dr.Maggie Pet Food Supplement for Skin and Coat"**,+ 1/8tsp.metamucil- (the type: not flavoured!),+3 tbsp.filtered water,+ lastly, the dry kibble! Her stool is PERFECT, she no longer has any scooting around- terrified, continually looking at her backside, rubbing on rugs, and just "not being well", from the great discomfort and pain of impacted anal glands.So, many of you may think I am a real whacko, but I am very proud, and say BRAVO to myself, as doing all of this to find a food that she is okay with to treat the chronic impacted anal gland, so that she feels fine - took a lot of research, time and energy, so when I see her happy, then I am happy! (**This incredible product,which I discovered after doing a lot of research, is a liquid formula, containing Omega Fatty Acids+ other vitamins + supplements.I am using this as I did not want to continually give her cortisone which the vet prescribed- 1/4-1/2 pill of predisone each day,to treat symptoms of the "environmental allergies"from which she had suffered for 2years-frantically biting and scratching,i.e. itchiness between her toes,on her body etc.).It is now 2 1/2 months later & I have completely stopped the cortisone,about 2 1/2 weeks ago-I have my fingers crossed & am really amazed that I have been able to treat her "naturally"+successfully! :) - but it does take a lot of research, & patience, that's for sure! One needs to know what they are doing, when using natural products for their pets. I have been studying this for years and years. One should NOT stop using medication prescribed by a Vet, when their pets are ill - one could find and make an appointment with a "Holistic Vet "- who may treat their pets in a more natural way, but unless one knows how to, they should never just start treating their pets by taking them off their medications!
    rebeltequila Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2008, 02:02 AM
    Green and Sprouting Potatoes are and you should always peel them before feeding... mashed is best
    tgslickers Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Boiled rice is a lot better for them. They like it better, mine does.
    tgslickers Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by violet0019
    RE:IMPACTED ANAL GLAND-UNDER CONTROL USING HOMEMADE RECIPE FORMULA AT MEALTIME, PLUS-ENVIRONMENTAL ALLERGIES: NO MORE CORTISONE PILLS - USING NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS TREATMENT Labman-thanks for the information. The reason I need to use potatoes is that, after experimenting with different foods, for quite awhile(to check if her digestive system would accept or not, re:sensitive stomach-as, before I rescued her, she was,unfortunately, never fed dog food :eek: , but made to "beg",so that she could eat, +thrown,very low end dog biscuits, full of chemicals, sugar, etc.When I finally got her out of that hell hole, the poor thing was so thin, unhealthy,& with chronic diarrhea(for quite a long time-all over the house!)+she was terrified that I would beat her,as they did, :mad: each time she had to urinate or pass stool!as she was never toilet trained,never went outside for a walk-she lived,slept,plus did her toilet in a cage!(they would leave her 4-5 days in the cage and go out of town!) And when they did, on occasion let her out of the cage, she would immediately make on the floor,as she was so mixed up,terrified,etc.because they would beat her immediately-so with time,love,+only positive encouragement,(I have never raised my voice to her)I had to gain her trust, I trained her to go outside for walks,PLUS, she is also able to go indoors in a box!! (The reason I had to box-train her was that I am not always able to take her out as I am not always well enough, so I am very happy and proud about this! :D (you may be interested to know,that each time she does go in the box she comes running tail-a-wagging, grinning ear to ear. to wherever I am-to tell me to come and follow her, she shows me what she did in the box! :) ...PLUS TO RECEIVE PRAISE +THE TINY TREAT I ALWAYS STILL GIVE HER, she is very smart+proud!)So, she also had impacted anal glands, and because she is so afraid of so many things, I felt that I had to find a way to treat her myself, and I am quite proud to say, after trial and error, I have developed a little recipe,and it is now under control; so far,she has had only to go to the vet one time,for "expressing" the anal glands,(and now she has a nice long stool -rather than little pieces-which is a way to know,when the stool is not that healthy).I changed her food completely to another HOLISTIC TYPE brand, which I discovered,called "MERRICK" (the flavour:"Grammy's Pot Pie" kibble) mixed in with 1 tsp. of boiled potatoe+1 1/2 tsp.of chicken(which I freeze into handy little packages)+1/4 tsp. crushed flax seeds,+ 1/4 tsp."Dr.Maggie Pet Food Supplement for Skin and Coat"**,+ 1/8tsp.metamucil- (the type: not flavoured!),+3 tbsp.filtered water,+ lastly, the dry kibble!! Her stool is PERFECT, she no longer has any scooting around- terrified, continually looking at her backside, rubbing on rugs, and just "not being well", from the great discomfort and pain of impacted anal glands.So, many of you may think I am a real whacko, but I am very proud, and say BRAVO to myself, as doing all of this to find a food that she is okay with to treat the chronic impacted anal gland, so that she feels fine - took alot of research, time and energy, so when I see her happy, then I am happy! (**This incredible product,which I discovered after doing alot of research, is a liquid formula, containing Omega Fatty Acids+ other vitamins + supplements.I am using this as I did not want to continually give her cortisone which the vet prescribed- 1/4-1/2 pill of predisone each day,to treat symptoms of the "environmental allergies"from which she had suffered for 2years-frantically biting and scratching,i.e. itchiness between her toes,on her body etc.).It is now 2 1/2 months later & I have completely stopped the cortisone,about 2 1/2 weeks ago-I have my fingers crossed & am really amazed that I have been able to treat her "naturally"+successfully!! :) - but it does take alot of research, & patience, that's for sure! One needs to know what they are doing, when using natural products for their pets. I have been studying this for years and years. One should NOT stop using medication prescribed by a Vet, when their pets are ill - one could find and make an appointment with a "Holistic Vet "- who may treat their pets in a more natural way, but unless one knows how to, they should never just start treating their pets by taking them off of their medications!!
    You are so totally wonderful for what did did for this little sweety. She will give you so much love and never forget what you have done for her. I wish more people were like you in this world. Sounds like you got a wonderful dog and she got a wonderful owner. You should be very proud of yourself, I know I am
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 3, 2008, 11:22 AM
    FYI This post is over 2 years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Potatoes in tires [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone ever grow potatoes in tires stacked 4 or 5 high. I read somewhere some time ago that you can start potatoes in the first tire, and as they grow, pile soil up over the tops and they will just keep going until you have a sky high tube of tires totally teaming with tubers. :rolleyes: I...

Desperate Help With Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My 2 almost five year old bichon frises REALLY need training. We brought them to training when they were little and then my parents ended that and now they have bad habits and do things on their own, and they have no disipline AT ALL. I have tried to do what I can, but it's really...

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

View more questions Search