Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlhampshire Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 03:45 PM
    Dishwasher rinse agent
    I have a kenmore ultra wash 111 dishwasher. I use jet dry in the rinse agent but I still get a film and spots on my dishes. Any idea what could be the problem and how do I fix it?
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 25, 2006, 07:38 PM
    How much time have you got? This is a very common problem. Many times I find this is happening when someone has soft water. Rinse aid in soft water situations can actually cause the very problem you put it in to stop. If you have soft water, try allowing the rinse aid dispenser to run dry and see if it returns to normal.

Feb 25, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Thanks, I do have a water softener.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 28, 2006, 08:55 PM
    This is an explanation of my experiences over the last several years, and I just had another one today. Keep in mind that water condition and quality is one of the largest variables from town to town. The machines, dishes, and even food soil won't change as much as water condition/quality. There are a couple of reasons I recommend not to use rinse aids in soft water conditions. First of all, you shouldn't need to use it. Rinse aid was created to stop spots from being left when the dishes dry. The spots are created when the water evaporates, leaving the hard water minerals behind. If you have a water softener, and you're sure it's working, you shouldn't have any minerals in your water in the first place. That's why you shouldn't need it. The reason you should not use it is because rinse aids create foam in soft water. Dishwashers can't pump foam, so you end up creating the very problem you're using the rinse aid to stop. Even if you have always used it, there may be a malfunction of the rinse aid dispenser, causing too much rinse aid to be dispensed at once. Procter & Gamble (manufacturer of most detergents) recommends that water softeners be set to deliver water no softer than 3 grains per gallon. Soft water is classified at 1 to 3 gpg, so 3 is still soft water. Many benefits will still be realized with this setting, but the detergents will work much better. Nowhere in your home is this situation this critical, except in the dishwasher. Hopefully the water conditions in your area won't exclude you from these suggestions that seem to work very well around here. Another thing to look at is the spray arms. These arms are full of holes that, when water is forced through them, the arms start to rotate. Check all the holes to ensure that the water can get through. If the holes are plugged, water pressure can't make the arms rotate, and the dishes won't come clean. Another check is to start the dishwasher and when the dishwasher stops filling with water, open the door and check the water level. It should be somewhere around the height of the heater in the bottom. The last thing I can think of right now is to make sure the drain hose has what's called a high loop between the dishwasher and the final drain point. This means that the drain hose should be tied up against the bottom of the countertop at some point, as high as it can go. On this particular unit, there should also be a loop on the left side of the dishwasher, about 15 to 18 inches high. This loop is set at the factory, but some installers who don't know any better will take it loose to get more length in drain hose, even though it says to not remove it. Usually you can shine a flashlight back along the left side to see it. Good luck.

Mar 1, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Thank you I'll pass this along.
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy View Post
    This is an explanation of my experiences over the last several years, and I just had another one today. Keep in mind that water condition and quality is one of the largest variables from town to town. The machines, dishes, and even food soil won't change as much as water condition/quality. There are a couple of reasons why I recommend not to use rinse aids in soft water conditions. First of all, you shouldn't need to use it. Rinse aid was created to stop spots from being left when the dishes dry. The spots are created when the water evaporates, leaving the hard water minerals behind. If you have a water softener, and you're sure it's working, you shouldn't have any minerals in your water in the first place. That's why you shouldn't need it. The reason you should not use it is because rinse aids create foam in soft water. Dishwashers can't pump foam, so you end up creating the very problem you're using the rinse aid to stop. Even if you have always used it, there may be a malfunction of the rinse aid dispenser, causing too much rinse aid to be dispensed at once. Procter & Gamble (manufacturer of most detergents) recommends that water softeners be set to deliver water no softer than 3 grains per gallon. Soft water is classified at 1 to 3 gpg, so 3 is still soft water. Many benefits will still be realized with this setting, but the detergents will work much better. Nowhere in your home is this situation this critical, except in the dishwasher. Hopefully the water conditions in your area won't exclude you from these suggestions that seem to work very well around here. Another thing to look at is the spray arms. These arms are full of holes that, when water is forced through them, the arms start to rotate. Check all the holes to ensure that the water can get through. If the holes are plugged, water pressure can't make the arms rotate, and the dishes won't come clean. Another check is to start the dishwasher and when the dishwasher stops filling with water, open the door and check the water level. It should be somewhere around the height of the heater in the bottom. The last thing I can think of right now is to make sure the drain hose has what's called a high loop between the dishwasher and the final drain point. This means that the drain hose should be tied up against the bottom of the countertop at some point, as high as it can go. On this particular unit, there should also be a loop on the left side of the dishwasher, about 15 to 18 inches high. This loop is set at the factory, but some installers who don't know any better will take it loose to get more length in drain hose, even though it says to not remove it. Usually you can shine a flashlight back along the left side to see it. Good luck.
    =
    hey, your absolutely correct. I guess it depends on how hard your water is too. How about just vinegar as the rinse agent and Glisten to clean the machine about every 250 loads? I clean my coffee pot with vinegar and it works great, no spots on the pot at all!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hijacker.Agent.a [ 8 Answers ]

I did a scan with Ewido and it found Hijacker.Agent.a which it quarantined. On doing another scan it again appeared so this time I deleted it but next time I scanned it was back. What is this and how can I get rid of it. Thanks.

Insurance Agent [ 1 Answers ]

How much would a insurance agent make a year working through a firm like state farm or allstate in a small town of about 20000 people.

Finding out Agent [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out who a homeowners insurance agent is ? My daughter was injured on the property when their car backed into her. Reports were done and it has grown ugly. But no where is their Agent mentioned. They of course refuse to tell us.

Trojan/agent-bn [ 1 Answers ]

hi have run x-soft on my PC and keep coming up with trojan /agent-bn its in the registry software/microsoft/windows/current version/internet settings /zonemap/domains/search softnet.com could someone please tell me what it is and how to get rid of it goldie

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

View more questions Search