Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erick66 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Connecting my panasonic dvd recorder, direct TV hd receiver and my hdtv
    I try to connect my hd TV, panasonic dvd recorder and hd receiver , but I couldn't , I want able to record programs in my dvd recorder.Can someone please help me step by step how to set done this.

I have:

Olevia lcd hdtv
    Connections:
    Hdmi
    Component
    s-video
    Rca

Direct TV hd receiver
    Connections:
    Hdmi
    Components
    s-video
    Rca
    Usb

Panasonic dvd recorder
    Connections:
    Component
    s-video
    Rca
    Rf in
    Rf out

Right now I just watching my TV ,connecting my TV to my hdreceiver using hdmi and the cable fron the dish is plugging in my receiver too.

Thank you everyone
    Sincerely erick
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Erick,

You are working the problems backwards. Start at the Directv Receiver. The HD Receiver, does it have 2 coax cables coming from the dish? If you only have one input, then you cannot watch one channel and record another because you only have one tuner.

How many input ports does the TV have? The HDMI port on the Direct TV, receiver is fine for your TV.

Next, I would connect the DVD Recorder to one of the TV's other inputs using the Component Connections (Green, Red and Blue). You will not be able to record any thing until you get a two input receiver from Direct TV. When you do that, The HD, Direct TV DVR may be your only choice.

Mar 31, 2008, 04:05 PM
    My hd receiver has only one coaxial cable , so what I can do?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Eric,

Well you are physically locked to watching one program at a time from the Direct TV receiver, however, the DVD can still be used.

1) Try connecting your Direct TV Receiver, HDMI port to the Input HDMI port on your DVR. The output of the DVR's HDMI port connects to the TV's HDMI port. To record a program while you are out of the house or busy, you would need to set the timer on the Direct TV to turn itself on, with the channel you selected. The DVR would also have to be set to match the DTV's timer.

2) Connect the Direct TV HD receiver to the TV via the component (Green, Red, Blue) ports to the component input of the DVR. Output from the DVR should go to the TV via another set of component cables. Also, you must bring Audio from DTV to the DVR via a fiber optic light cable or a coaxial cable then using either fiber optic to coax connect to the TV.

In theory, the DTV HD box will put out on both ports, but the above limitation will still apply.

Please let me know if you have any problems because there are other ways to connect.

Also consider calling DTV and telling them that what you ordered was not what you needed. You need the DTV HD DVR, with two inputs and the Oval dish. With any luck, they will offer you a decent price on their unit because of their mistake. The two input receiver will allow you to watch an input sours while recording another input source. And you will only need to use your DVR to playback discs.

Have you gone to Blu-Ray yet, it's terrific!

Apr 1, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Thak you very much for your answers, mi dvr doesn't have HDMI port so is there another way to do it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Even though you may not have 2 tuners, you could still use another output from Sat receiver to DVD Recorder, Still use the HDMI between SAT and TV. Then on TV Select HDMI input to watch SAT, and select correct input (Component or Composite) for DVD Recorder player.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting, TV, Satellite Receiver and DVD recorder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help :) I've been trying to connect DVD recorder and it's driving me crazy :( I can play DVD's with sound and picture but when record there is only picture no sound. Also when watching TV through DVD recorder there is no sound. When the Receiver is connected to...

Hooking up DVR to DVD recorder, to receiver, to HDTV [ 3 Answers ]

I've been looking for the exact answer to my specific problem, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I hope someone can help me. Here's my equipment: Comcast Scientific Atlanta HDDVR cable box (8300HD, 1 HDMI out, component Out 1, composite Out 2, digital audio) Samsung LCD HDTV (LNT4065F,...

Order of connections: HDTV, Direct TV HD-DVR, HD Receiver, HD-DVD Player [ 7 Answers ]

My HDTV (780p or 1080i) has 2 HDMI inputs, My Receiver has 2 HDMI, My HD-DVD player has 1 HDMI, My Direct TV HD-DVR has 1 HDMI. All have component inputs as well. What order should I go starting with the TV

Connecting DVD recorder to dish hd box then HDTV [ 1 Answers ]

Want to connect phillips dvdr hard drive recorder to dish hd box and then to a sony bravia hdtv

View more questions Search