Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    comfortracing Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Sewer spill and odor, how do I remove!
    I recently had a sewer pipe under my kitchen in the crawlspace severed and leaking. It spilled quite a bit of "waste" into my crawlspace beneath my house and boy does it smell like sewer! The plumber told me to throw some lime on the spill to clean it up... is this the right way of doing this? Is there a better way? Where can I buy lime if I need to do this?

Thanks in advance - chad
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Mar 31, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Depends on the area of sewage spill. If it's a small area and isolated I would use kitty liter on it. This happened to me and the kitty liter did the trick.

On a larger area it might be impractical, however I don't know about the lime application.

Mar 31, 2008, 11:06 AM
    well it is probably an area of 6'x3'. Was the litter to dry it up?

Mar 31, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Both... to dry it up and to deodorize. 6x3 seems to be a small area... give the 50lb bag of kitty liter a try, just spread it liberally on the spill.

Mar 31, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Great! Thanks for the advice, and I will try it tonight.

Mar 31, 2008, 11:16 AM
    No problem... hope it helps... and BTW, my "t" is getting stuck... it should have read kitty litter... :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2008, 11:23 AM
    While kitty litter may mask the odor, purchase quick lime to eat the sewage up and kill any harmful bacteria that may still be lurking there. kittylitter won't do that! Check your local garden supply for quick lime. Good luck, Tom

Mar 31, 2008, 12:09 PM
    OK thanks, will do. After I apply it do I clean it up after a certain time or just leave it down?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Just leave it. It will perc back into the soil in time. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Odor [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a small house. I immediately noticed a sewer gas odor. The landlord called a plumber. He noted that the only vent pipe coming out of the roof was a one and a quarter inch located behind the toilet. He installed a four inch vent pipe into the sewer line just as it was coming out...

Sewer odor [ 6 Answers ]

We have a home we bought a year ago and had a washer and dryer installed on the third floor for convenience (no lugging wash up three floors)... anyway, we have noticed a sewage smell coming from the washer in the last few months... what could cause it??

Sewer odor in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sewer odor that suddenly started in our bathroom. At least I think it's a sewer smell (and not a dead animal). The odor seems to be coming from the toilet. The toilet bowl appears firm and secure, but the wax ring has not been replaced in many years. I know how to replace the ring but...

Sewer odor [ 1 Answers ]

We live in the country and suddenly we get a sewer oder when we walk in our back door. The septic tank seems to be draining properly. The odor is starting to be slightly noticeable in the rest of the house but is strongest at the back door.

Sewer Odor [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a sewer odor from all three toliets in my 2 year old house for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are on public sewer and the builder is stumped (he hasn't however, been in the house to smell for himself) It seems to get worse when it rains... any suggestions? I'm concerned that my 5 year old son is...

View more questions Search