Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoodleBug Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Puppy doesn't like new crate
    My puppy is 11 weeks old, and I've had him since he was 5 weeks old. I bought a carrier for him to sleep in when I first got him, it's made of fabric with padding and a soft bottom and mesh on the sides and ends. He was peeing in and tearing up the thing and it really stinks, so I finally got a plastic crate last weekend. He does NOT like it and cries if I put him in it, even though I put all his favorite toys in with him. So I've had to let him back into his old one for the past two nights. He will sniff the new one and run away like it is going to bite him. (he is a chihuahua by the way) I know it's new and surely he will get used to it? I know he's not really old enough to be left in the crate for hours at a time, but I am very busy and it cannot be avoided sometimes, so he was peeing in the thing and at least with this new one I can clean it out fairly easily. Will he get used to it pretty soon, and should I make him sleep in it at night even though he cries (and keeps me awake)? I could try a pad in the bottom to make it softer but then that is just defeating the purpose of getting a plastic crate.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Hi,
    Here is a link with some good information about crates:
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html
    Tips on Crate Training.
    Scroll down to "How do I get my puppy used to a crate?"
    "In the beginning, he should only be expected to stay in the crate for 2 hours at a time and overnight. During his periods out of the crate, your puppy needs plenty of playtime and attention. I like to give puppies at least an hour between crating periods where they're played with, loved, allowed to explore and romp. This burns off their boundless puppy energy and helps them understand that crating is only a temporary thing."

The above quote is from the link.
    It will take him some time to get use to the new crate. When he learns that you aren't going to come get him, and let him have his way, he will accept the new one. Take him for a walk, let him use up some of his energy before putting him in the new crate.
    I do wish you and him the very best, and good luck. The sleepless nights should stop soon.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2006, 11:34 AM
    As I said in an earlier answer, '' Skip the bedding. At first it gets wet, and later it can be chewed into choking hazards. A wire rack in the bottom will help keep the puppy up out of accidents at first. They are available with the crates, but a piece of closely spaced wire closet shelving from a home supply place is cheaper.'' At bed time, with a new puppy, I have found lying down in front of the crate like you were going to sleep and speaking softly to it, or singing, until it settles down and goes to sleep works very well. Follow the pattern, a period of active play, outside to eliminate, and then into the crate.

Putting his toys in the crate is a good idea, treats too, and feed him in it. I sometimes wonder about the conventional advice of not leaving the puppy in its crate over 2 hours. So what do you do with it the rest of the day? I have always brought home 7 week old puppies and left them all day with only a short break at lunch. I wonder how much experience some of the people writing books and websites have? It has to be done, and usually the puppies adjust to it fairly quickly. You won't that technique of laying down in front of the crate in a book or on a website. It is something I tried after all the conventional ideas failed. You are very lucky to be able to take the dog to work. I hope he is adjusting to where he isn't disrupting your work.

A friend has an emergency. I have to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pug puppy pooping in crate [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have a pug puppy that is now 10 weeks old. We got her at 9 weeks old from a good breeder. THis is our second pug from the breeder, and I am happy to say that our first pug is absolutely perfect and was easy to crate train. However, the new pug is proving to be a bit of a...

Puppy eliminating in crate [ 3 Answers ]

Our beloved 14 week old golden retriever puppy has been mostly urinating in her crate when left alone. She is completely dry during a 7-8 hour night. The urination (and occasional defacation) occurs despite water being withheld and despite being left in her crate no more than 3-4 hours. She...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 9-week old Golden Retriever. She sleeps in a crate next to our bed and is a gem: quiet, doesn't soil or pee. When we leave her alone (for only 2 hours maximum at this point), she has been consistently pooping/soiling her crate. It seems like separation anxiety or perhaps some form of...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 22 Answers ]

My 10 week old puppy is doing really well with training during the day, but he poops (sometimes twice a night) in his crate. His last meal of the day is at 6:45 and he usually poops twice before he goes to bed at 11:00. We get up at 3 am to take him out and he has usually gone by then. He has...

View more questions Search