Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Nov 1, 2007, 01:02 PM
    What is the best way to keep my house from smelling like cigarettes?
    I used to smoke and quit a year ago. Since I have quit, I can't stand the smell of tobacco. It makes me want to smoke. I have a roommate who smokes around a pack of Camel filters every day. Does anyone know of any products that will eliminate the smoky smell? I have tried air fresheners and candles, and they don't seem to help. A friend told me she used to use a spray air freshener that worked really well. She doesn't remember the name of it, only that it had a unique strong orange smell. Does anyone know what this product is? Thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Other than not permitting smoking inside the house, there is little you can do. Everything else just masks the smells.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Febreeze
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Any chance of installing an exhaust fan?

As febreeze is controversial whether it works or not.
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Nov 1, 2007, 01:15 PM
    It most probably has citronella in it . Try burning incense or you could also have those small oil containers under which you place a small candle. They are really amazing and you can use natural oils this way you won't be hurting your health with artificial scents which have been proven to also cause cancer lol
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Nov 1, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Do you live in a house or an apartment. If you live in a house you can buy air fresheners that you put right on your filter that goes in the furnace. Every time the heat or a/c kick on it fills the house with the fragrance.

Nov 1, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Well, we're renting, so I don't think the owner would let me put a fan in. Maybe I can get him to smoke in his room only. I just hate it because he smokes in my living room, and has made my new furniture reek. I can't kick him out, so I guess I'll just have to try to compromise. Febreeze helps for about 5 min. and then I can't smell it anymore. If I can get him to agree to only smoke in his room, then I'm going to get the carpets shampooed to try and get the smell out.

Nov 1, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Oil burners are a good idea. I have one somewhere; I'll have to give it a try. Putting an air freshner on the furnace filter is a good idea, too. Thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Ozium has claimed to remove smoke as well as other airborne particals. I've never tried it to remove smoke, but their label states their claim.
    Ozium - Air Sanitizer, Air purifier and Air deodorizer
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Nov 1, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Whatever you do DO NOT use those fresheners you plug all day long into the electric outlets they are the ones that cause the most damage to your health!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 01:51 PM
    A physician I'm friends with said there's some odor eliminator called natures miracle, commonly used for pet odors... he said it has an enzyme that can break down the offending smells by altering the chemical compounds... don't know if it works on smoke at all...

When I searched for enzyme smoke eliminator I found a site that sells a product to car detailers...

Smoke And Odor Eliminator Enzime Spray 16 Oz

Which might be a good start... maybe call a detail shop or even stop by a hotel in the area and see if you can find someone to tell you what products they use. Just a thought.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Nov 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
    The best way it to quit smoking
    go2004 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 01:20 AM
    There are a few things you could do, one is inscents seem to work really good at getting rid of the smell, they also sell these things called smoke eliminators, you can get them almost anywhere, I think I've even seen them at convenient stores, those are good for getting the smoke out of the air but not the greatest for getting rid of the sceant but they now sell air fresheners that's soul purpose is to get rid of the smell of tobacco, I bought one a while back and it acctually worked really good, I don't remember the name but pretty much anywhere they sell spray air fresheners you can find them, it'll say "eliminates the smell of smoke" right on the bottle
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Try peppermint oil and sweet orange oil in an oil burner. It's extremely effective.
    Natz86 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2008, 09:44 AM
    One of the products that I swear by is called "orange chronic". It's used for marijuana odors, but can also be used for other strong odors; such as stale smoke.

Website attached
    Orange Chronic Air Freshener
    KimberlyB Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Citrus Magic. You can buy it at most grocery stores. Its amazing. My husband smokes inside and I spray it and you can't tell anyone ever smoked.
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

May 19, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Tell your roommate if he can either quit smoking or move out, then use febreeze
    GeminiNick Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 07:39 PM
    One thing you might try is an ozone machine. Smoke molecules are smaller than oxygen and they penetrate the paint to where cleaners cannot get to. Ozone molecules can get to the smoke and get ride of it. The machine makes a pleasant smell like a thunder storm and that's because lightning produces ozone. These machines cost a pretty penny but if you find a good chemical supply store they might have one for rent.
    lanabear10 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peggyhill
    I used to smoke and quit a year ago. Since I have quit, I can't stand the smell of tobacco. It makes me want to smoke. I have a roommate who smokes around a pack of Camel filters every day. Does anyone know of any products that will eliminate the smoky smell? I have tried air fresheners and candles, and they don't seem to help. A friend told me she used to use a spray air freshener that worked really well. She doesn't remember the name of it, only that it had a very unique strong orange smell. Does anyone know what this product is? Thank you.
    STOP SMOKING!!
    chakarnis Posts: 55, Reputation: 0

Aug 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Sometimes, white distilled vinegar in open containers will absorb the smell, but it's in the carpet, furniture, clothers... just about any poruous surface and as long as you have nicotine in your house, it will smell. It's also in your roommates hair follicles and skin. So...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roll-up Cigarettes [ 9 Answers ]

I have been smoking roll-ups for about three years now. I find that I don't have any breathing problems or heart problems so I was wondering if manufactured cigarettes have something in them that make you ill, compared to roll-ups which are just tobacco and paper.

Alcohol in cigarettes [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any alcohol in cigarettes?

Musky smelling house when heat/ac is on. [ 6 Answers ]

Last November when we moved into our house, we turned the heat on and noticed a really musky, basement like smell and also dirt. We thought it'd just wear off after a while since it was the first time turning it on but it still smelled. We also had a lot of nasal/sinus problems but we always have...

Bathroom gasses smelling underneath house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a single story ranch style home. There is a small crawl space underneath, but it is VERY tight - We seem to be having trouble with odor coming from the farthest bathroom towards the back of the house. When you go outside, the vent underneath the house which happens to be right below the...

Cigarettes [ 3 Answers ]

What brands cigarettes were made by Phillip Morris, Brown and Williamson Tobacco Corporation and by The American Tobacco Company?

View more questions Search