Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rj43wesley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Why 220 volt
    I find that much of Europe uses 220V 50 cycle AC, while USA uses 110-120v 60 cycle AC. Why is this so, and does the 50 to 60 cycle variance cause significant problems?

Thanks,
    Bob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Seems there is no clear answer why Europe chose 50 hertz, while 60 hertz was chosen by NikloaTelsa here in the US. Running 60 c units on 50 c will cause heat to be created and premature burnout. Many appliances are now rated for both.

Here is a bit of information:
    Alternating current Summary
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 10, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Very interesting link. A few years ago there was a question here about why voltages are often multiples of 11 such as 110, 220, and 440. I think in the US it may be closer to 12 now. There weren't any real answers. I speculated that perhaps that was just what George Westinghouse got when he wired up an early transformer. Anybody here now that knows?
    Andreas_111 Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jun 12, 2007, 01:52 AM
    For the same reasone that sockets are different in many countries. The history of the development was not common and now it is too late and too costly to change all into a universal one
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jun 13, 2007, 01:31 PM
    One of the reasons was that since US got electricity first we got the beta version and we just haven't upgraded yet.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 27, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rj43wesley
    ... Europe uses 220V 50 cycle AC, while USA uses 110-120v 60 cycle AC. Why is this so, and does the 50 to 60 cycle variance cause significant problems ?
    Different sockets in many countries is more of historic heritage and is partly based on protecting own economy and interests. Has little to do with 110 - 220 Volt or 50 - 60 c/s.

Also the 110 Volt system is something historical. Europe soon went to 220 Volt, as that reduced the total current going through the supply lines (reducing losses).
    In the US Westinghouse and other suppliers had interests in power supply and in the supply of copper cable. The higher the current, the higher the sales of thick expensive copper wire...

Europe went for 50 c/s from the start, as at 60 c/s current loss in massive wiring is 20% higher due to `current-crowding´ : more current is than passed via electrons at the surface of wires, than those inside the wires.
    At very high frequencies cables are therefore often hollow, as their inside is not used at all for transfer of power. The surface of such wires is often covered with gold or silver for maximum conduction.

As to problems for 60 c/s equipment on 50 c/s systems : induction is directly related to frequency. The higher the frequency, the higher the inductance.
    At 50 c/s equipment made for 60 c/s provides insufficient induction, and therefore heats up.
    The other way around (50 c/s equipment on 60 c/s systems) is less harmful, but has the effect of lowering the actual power (for instance of motors and in transformers).
    ;)
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Apr 18, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I am not sure of the difference in Hertz (50hz vs 69 hz) but the difference in line voltage(220V) is because usung 220v has a lower current demand. A motor that will use let's say 6 amps on 110-120 vac , will use less than 4 amps if designed to use 220vac. This is the reason for higher voltages AND different types of phasing. The US is kind of backwards in it's technology for electric services. If we were to use 220v and also use more DC, the total load of electric use would drop dramatically.
    danmon29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rj43wesley
    I find that much of Europe uses 220V 50 cycle AC, while USA uses 110-120v 60 cycle AC. Why is this so, and does the 50 to 60 cycle variance cause significant problems?

Thanks,
    Bob
    How much more efficient is a 220v electric water heater vs a 110v electric water
    Old Schmuck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Beside the technical aspect of the question, circumstances had a big role to play. Most of the conversion to 220V in western Europe was done after WWII when everything had to be rebuilt. Wars have fringe benefits!. Implementation of the 220 was done geographically . Local state (& Marshall Plan ;) would subsidies the replacement of appliances that were mostly utilitarian at the time . It was before the boom of entertaining equipment ( TV, sound systems.. etc) that would have made the switch prohibitive . Beside the obvious benefit of switching at the right time, it was also a boost for the electric industry.
    Great Britain must have paid a heavy price for waiting too long.

Interestingly enough, those were also the days of AC electrical railways experimentation in Japan and France.
    oldduffo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Been reading stuff for about an hour and haven't found a answer to this VERY SIMPLE question: Will running a 220vac/50 hertz transformer on 220vac/60 hertz circuit cause overheating of the transformer... like a fire?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldduffo View Post
    Been reading stuff for about an hour and haven't found a answer to this VERY SIMPLE question: Will running a 220vac/50 hertz transformer on 220vac/60 hertz circuit cause overheating of the transformer....like a fire?
    I'm not sure why you'd post on a thread that's one to two years old.

The answer to your question is "probably not". It depends on the actual construction of the transformer, but this frequency difference is not usually important in transformers.
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd post on a thread that's one to two years old.
    The answer to your question is "probably not". It depends on the actual construction of the transformer, but this frequency difference is not usually important in transformers.
    Interesting subject.
    Is 110 less deadly than 220?

Would only 10 Hz difference be "noticeable" to a coil?
    My 10 hp three-phase air raid siren lists the frequencies (pitches) that it produces on 60 Hz and 50 Hz power. Does cps matter less in three-phase motors?
    Thank you.
    faisal_ilyas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 05:14 AM
    Higher voltages allows transmission power over distances at greater efficiency-transmission losses can be high 30%to40%of the power generated.220v is SENSIBLE BALANCE OF SAFETY AND EFFICIENCY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Question on 220 volt [ 4 Answers ]

How can one identify 220 volt appliance besides looking on the appliance? Does 220 volt devices have the same 3 prong (with ground) or two prong configuration on the plug or does something look different indicating that it is 220 volts? Lastly, I know on 20 amp appliances the plug has one...

220 Volt Pool Timer [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install an Intermatic Swimming Pool Mechanical Timer 220V - T104P3 to my exciting pump. I have two live wires coming from the breaker box which I labeled Line 1 & Line 2, there is also a ground wire. Then I have to wires coming from the pump which I labeled Load 1 & Load 2. I have...

Older 220 volt wire [ 13 Answers ]

I have an older 220v wire with only 3 wires... 2 hot and 1 ground/neutral (bare). I need to connect (splice) it to a newer 220v wire with 4 wires... 2 hot, 1 neutral (white), and a ground (bare). And older I mean less than 15 years old.

220 volt heater [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a 220 volt wall heater. The feed line has a red, black, white and copper ground. The heater only has a red, black and ground. What do I do with the white (common) line?

View more questions Search