Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bryony Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Court Summons Delievered To Wrong Person
    I had a summons for debt collection delivered for me to the wrong house and the wrong person. I am just wondering the validity of the summons and what my next step of action is.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 24, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryony
    I had a summons for debt collection delivered for me to the wrong house and the wrong person. I am just wondering the validity of the summons and what my next step of action is.
    Whatever the legalities are : why not contact them and make a proper payment arrangement, or go to court if you disagree with the demand?
    ;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 10:14 AM

It's in your hands. I've seen the good service/bad service argument go both ways in similar circumstances.

If you do not respond you will have a Judgment against you. If you don't want a Judgment against you, then you will have to set it aside for bad service - after some time and trouble - and then they will serve you again.

If you do respond and argue bad service you will be served again - properly.

The only way to end the problem is to pay the debt - that failing, go to Court, argue bad service, win the argument and wait for good service.

And why did the wrong person in the wrong house (I would assume your name is correct - ?) accept service? Maybe I don't have enough info to know for sure what's going on.

Mar 24, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    It's in your hands. I've seen the good service/bad service argument go both ways in similar circumstances.

If you do not respond you will have a Judgment against you. If you don't want a Judgment against you, then you will have to set it aside for bad service - after some time and trouble - and then they will serve you again.

If you do respond and argue bad service you will be served again - properly.

The only way to end the problem is to pay the debt - that failing, go to Court, argue bad service, win the argument and wait for good service.

And why did the wrong person in the wrong house (I would assume your name is correct - ?) accept service? Maybe I don't have enough info to know for sure what's going on.
    Because my name and my dad's name are very similar and hard to pronouce so when the server stumbled over the name, he assumed he was trying to say his name.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Because my name and my dad's name are very similar and hard to pronouce so when the server stumbled over the name, he assumed he was trying to say his name.

Hmm - well, the papers got to you and so I wouldn't just let it slide. You either have to appear and argue bad service or appear with some other defense or pay.

I don't see much of a choice.

Mar 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
    I agree, the debt needs to be paid. I had attempted to pay it awhile ago but they wouldn't only except payment in full. Hopefully they will be willing to set up a payment agreement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2008, 10:58 AM
    As Judy points out the service issue is moot because you have received the summons. If you don't respond, they get a default judgement. If you do respond, then you acknowledge service.

There are lots of threads in this and the Bankruptcy and Debt forums that offer advice on how to proceed in answering such a summons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Summons handed to wrong person [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all, I amlooking for an answer for a family member. She had a fight with her boyfriend a couple of years ago and called the police on him (he hit her). Well Iguess they have been fine for the past couple years and they even live together. THe boyfriend found out he had a warrant from when she...

Possible Court Summons. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All! I would like to first start by saying that I am aware of my debt and to whom I owe. I have a copy of all three credit reports as of January and my intention is to clear these up.. one at a time. I just received a phone call at my office and on my cell from someone saying he was...

Debt Court Summons -- If I pay in full, can I avoid court? [ 5 Answers ]

I realize a lot of people post questions regarding debt summons and I've scrolled through the boards but I haven't found a clear answer to a few of my queries. Here's what happened: I was today presented (they slid it under my door) with a summons to appear in court. I'm being sued by Capital One...

Court Summons [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, my boyfriend received a court summons for an upaid credit card debt of 2500 plus interest. We tried to make a payment years ago but they refused because we could not pay in full-like $50 a month. On the summons paper it says for us to get a lawyer and we need to respond within 30 days....

View more questions Search