Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plumbing novice49 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Sewer pipe leaking into house
    There is a slow water leak into our house from around the sewer pipe where it connects the interior pipes through the concrete outer wall to the main sewer line. The water appears to be clear, not raw sewage. We have a plumber coming tomorrow (we hope they show!) to diagnose, but we fear there is a crack in the pipe. Is there a way to fix a leaky sewer pipe from inside the pipe, so we don't have to dig up our yard?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Plumbing novice49 - Yes -FOR GET TRYING TO REPAIRING it from the inside, I never found a way to ndo it and it to hold sorry, I wish you good luck Oh one questio You said it was clear and not sure its sewage, Could it be rain water seeping in AROUND THE PIPE?? :: F.B.E.

Mar 24, 2008, 07:48 AM
    It may be rain water - that was our first guess. But it happens only when we run water in the house. When no water is running, it isn't leaking. But maybe the pressure of the water is pushing on the drain, and "sqeezing" out the rain water in the ground.

About two weeks ago, the sewer line was clogged. We used a handyman's snake and some drain cleaner to clear it out, and all was fine. It was soon after that, we noticed the leak under the pipe.

Thanks so much for your answer. Please keep your fingers crossed that it isn't a cracked pipe that will require a total dig-out of our cement stoop and front yard!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Well by now the pluimber has probably showed up and told you the bad news. Although that water appeared clear I'd guess it was drain water from your sewer line without soilds in it. 9 out of 10 problems like this are a broken drain line just outside of the home, that accounts for you clog last week. Tell us what happened when the plumber got into this.

Mar 24, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Well, you guys are good - unfortunately! The plumbers said it was a broken line - however, their camera couldn't find the break. They said the fix would be to dig it up to find it - unfortunately, they will need to bust up our concrete stoop and landscaped yard to find it. To the tune of $4300 - which includes only the plumbing repair. We would need to restore the yard and entrance on our own.

Does this sound right to your more experienced ears? Can the pipe be repaired by digging under the stoop (which is attached to the house by rebar)?

We are getting a second opinion since this is a major repair.

Again, thanks for your help and counsel.

Mar 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
    No this does not sound right so I get another opinion. It is very , very rare that a sewer pipe will exit a building under the front door but everything is possible I guess. If they can't find the break then how does he know there is one? Using a SeeSnake camera it pretty hard to miss a break unless you are right up againist a total clog and at that point they need to use a cutter to get through the clog.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 07:09 PM
    I agree fully with Ballengerb1 ,get another bid and what it will consitof on what they will do. IM WITH HIM ALSO ON COMEING OUT THE FRONT OF THE HOUSE UNDER THRE PORCH AND THE STOOP . I HAVE WENT TO EXTRA TRUOUBLE AT TIMES TO BRING THE SEWER OUT WITHOUT DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS ,good luck & let us know how you come out & god bless F.B.E.

Mar 25, 2008, 10:41 AM
    The sewer line does come out the front of the house, almost directly below the front door. It is definitely running under the stoop. (I will know to look for that on my next house purchase, though!)

I later found out from my husband that the first plumber with the camera who couldn't find the crack also got his camera stuck in the pipe after several feet. My husband asked him to snake the line to get rid of the block, but he said it was a waste of time to snake it since the pipe was obviously cracked and broken. That is when he gave us an estimate of almost $5,000 to dig up the line to find the crack and repair. The second plumber came out and snaked the line for 75 feet. The water trickle is gone. He is coming back today to camera the line to find the crack but believes the leak was due to the clogged line, and water settled in a place that it shouldn't have been settling which caused the leak. I am wiating for the call to camera the job and then we will know more.

I don't think we are out of the woods yet, but I am more hopeful. We still need to replace the drywall and carpeting, but as long as we don't have to dig up the yard and front entrance, I am happier!

Thank you for all of your comments. You have been very helpful.

Mar 25, 2008, 10:46 AM
    I hope you called your home owners insurance company because much of this is generally covered including carpet and cleaning. The first guy was taking you for a ride by guesstimating your problems and then inflating a bill. $5k is about double what it should be. There are companies who can reline the drain from the basement without digging up the stoop or yard. I have never done one but watched it being done. What the heck we still don't even know if the pipe is broken yet do we. Good luck and call your agent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly in Sewer Pipe [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, Here's the situation. I recently purchased a home and had not even been there for 2 weeks before I had a flood (via the utility sink) in the finished basement. Apparently the previous owners cemented over the basement drain. I have coverage through our local water company, they sent a roto...

Sewer pipe clean out [ 1 Answers ]

What do you need to do to install a sewer pipe clean out?

Sewer cleanout in garage is leaking [ 1 Answers ]

In the floor of my garage there is depression with a hole to the sewer. It has a rubber stopper which is leaking black smelly water. There was also evidence of blackish water backed up in the shower some time in the last month on the same level as the garage. That shower is rarley used. Is this...

Tapping in new drain pipe to old sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a new tub and shower in my basement. The old shower in the basement drained through a pvc pipe that ran on top of the basement floor directly to our floor drain. I have excavated a channel from the proposed tub site to the sewer pipe running from the first floor toilet to the...

Crack in sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Noticed a crack in the pipe that carries waste out to the sewer. It's about 13 or 14 " long and very thin possible an eighth of an inch. There doesn't seem to be any leakage. It's a large black pipe, I guess wrought iron. Part of it has been replaced with white PVC pipe but the last six or...

View more questions Search