Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjune0126 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
    How to clean parvo virus on porous surfaces?
    How do you clean the parvo virus on carpet and other porous surfaces as well as grass?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
    You might best be served calling your veterinarian and asking for his/her advice.

I would hazard a guess that for the carpet, a heavy treatment of an antibacterial based spray (Lysol makes one) would possibly work. Leave it on for at least a day. Make sure you have removed all animals prior to spraying and keep them out of that area. Then I would wash the carpet thoroughly with hot water. Use a carpet cleaning machine. As for grass,? I would imagine the elements would clean it. Can't think of any cure all treatment for that except possibly mix a little bleach with hot water in a bucket and coat the entire area that you feel has been infected. I would find out from the vet or by "Googling" it, to see how long parvo virus can live in an area that has been affected. I have always thought it was something spread by contact with other animals affected, not by surfaces.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Substitute the last two "affecteds" above with "infected".

Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Bleach or 6 months are the only sure ways to get rid of parvo virus. Antibacterials won't touch it. I am not sure how good bleach would be for the carpet. Might check its care instructions. You might also try bleach on a hidden area. I can't say spraying bleach on the ground will work either. For reliable information on parvo, see Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about

I often find dog care and training website lacking. I stick to ones I trust the organization behind them.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Okay Labman. I think I will wait for you to sign on and I will try my best not to be tempted to answer any more pet questions unless I am 100% positive of the answer :-)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 07:12 AM
    It would be nice if every post was 100 % factually correct or well supported opinions. It will never happen. I was pleased yesterday to come home and find several new questions with good answers. I did feel I needed to add more.

Years ago when I first started on www.XpertSite.com, there were many good people. I could pick the questions I could give good answers to and leave the rest to others that would give good answers to them. Many of the better people quit before the site shut down. Unfortunately, at AMHD, I haven't had any other good people that stuck around long to help. Yes, good people will disagree on some points. The dogs are best served if we work together giving the best answers we can.
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 07:56 AM
    You are a kind and rational human being.
    inthedoghouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 20, 2008, 08:24 AM
    [QUOTE=RubyPitbull]You might best be served calling your veterinarian and asking for his/her advice.

I have contacted many people about Parvo as this is the first time I've encountered it's rath. My vet told me that you CAN also use Lysol! It has to be the one that kills HIV. I looked and saw nothing.. so I called Lysol. They said that either Brand 2 or Brand 3 (this is small print under the Lysol logo on the front of the can) does kills HIV but Lysol kills SO many virus's that they can't label them all. Lysol 4 in 1 is good for mopping and such but the disenfectant aresol can does kill the HIV. Parvo isn't a hard virus to kill and it is airborn and Lysol does do the job. I was thrilled to hear this as I have been Cloroxing myself to death! Lysol can spray on the walls, floor, carpet, couch , etc. MUCH easier than Clorox and bleaching the color right out. I purchased Lysol Disenfectant, Lysol 4 in 1 both spray nozzle and one that mixes w/ water to mop the floors.

Clean the kennel area w/ either Lysol 4 in 1 mixed w/ water or Clorox w/ water to clean kennel concrete or gravel. Don't forget the house. Remove the bowls and give them a soak and rinse also. Puppies under 5-6 months of age that have been vaccinated are at risk. If they get it once and are cured they'll never get the virus again so that helps my feelings.

Also vaccinate any puppies again that could have come into contact w/ the sick pup. My dogs have been vaccinated 4 times and one still got the virus. Finding out that ANY puppy under the age of 5-6 months is always at risk. Now that is scary! Hope this helps. It sure did me!

Lysol! Who'd of thought it?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 20, 2008, 09:06 PM
    I don't think you can ever TOTALLY sterilize porous surfaces, just because the virus is so tiny (I know that sounds funny, but parvo is small even by virus standards), and it can hide in all the nooks and crannies of carpet & so on. I have read different opinions on how long the virus persists in soil, but the general consensus is at least five years.
    Disinfect everything you can, try not to bring any new pups into the home until they are at least a week past their second puppy vaccination, and you have done everything you can. Realistically, we probably come into contact with contaminated surfaces every day.

(... Am I the only idiot out there who cleans the shopping cart handle because I am afraid that the person before me may have a parvo pup at home? I never think about doing it because I am worried about catching the flu myself, lol!)
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 2, 2008, 01:56 PM
    I have parvo and I am freaking out because I don't what to do... should I kill myself?
    rebeltequila Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Parvocide is the best and bleach nothing else really works don't get another un vaccinated dog for at least 6 months any bedding your other dog had burn it make sure all poos in the back yard have been picked up and burnt antibacterial stuff WILL NOT WORK parvo is a virus not a bacteria
    tech_bear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 06:24 PM
    I work in an emergency animal hospital and am fequently asked this question. Parvo can be cleaned with a bleach / water solution. Carpets, furniture, clothing etc. you can use bleach to clean any surface that has been infected with parvo. As for the grass, the only sure way of knowing that you can kill the parvo virus is to use the bleach / water solution. It's going to kill the grass but it will grow back. Clean up any fecal matter left remaining from the infected pet, toys, bedding, bowls/dishes, (best to just throw away the toys and bedding). Using a garden sprayer, take approx 1/2 gal of bleach to 1 full garden sprayer, spray the area and anywhere the infected puppy/puppies has been or suspected of being. Do this over a several day period. I would recommend waiting for aprox 6 month before getting another puppy. As for the virus if can last as long as 7 years if left un-bleached.
    AngelMarie57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Inthedoghouse , I had a Puppy that Died From Parvo and We Clean The House Really Good , He has Been gone maybe 3 weeks now , We Just Went and Got another Puppy After all The Cleaning , Do you think he will be O.K? He had His First Shot .
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 01:27 PM

The puppy should be fully vaccinated before you bring it home.
    How did you clean the house? With what? It can live in the environment for a long time - most people recommend waiting 6 months before getting a new puppy, even with vigorous, proper cleaning.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 11:59 PM

AngelMatrie please start your own question and not piggyback on 2 year old threads.

3 weeks is far too soon to get a new puppy.
    Like Sariss said the recommended time is 6 months and even then you should buy an older dog who is fully vaccinated.

The thing about Parvo is that it can live for a long time in things like tiny amounts of poop in your garden or even in carpets that have not been thoroughly cleaned (and I mean thoroughly!)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 10:04 AM

I know this question has since been resolved, but I just wanted to say, when I worked in a boarding kennel we used to disinfect everything with Spray 9. It kills pretty much everything includung the HIV. I would recommend to follow the proper cleaning instructions. (which I am sure everyone would... ) But it won't bleach, and oru vet's reccomened we use this to clean areas that may have beeninfected with kennel cough or Parvo...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fingerprint development on oily surfaces [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know... 1. What do you do when you encounter a fingerprint on an oily surfaces, such as fingerprint on a gas tank or in the kitchen, how do you collect it? 2. Is it only by photography? (because sometimes photography alone is not good enough) 3. Is there any other...

Parvo [ 5 Answers ]

My puppy recently died from parvo, I buried her in the back yard. I was told the parvo will never go away, how can I get rid of the Parvo? How long should I wait to get another puppy?

After parvo 2 [ 2 Answers ]

Last night was the first night of barney in the house (after being in the hospital for 4 days), during the night he kept having diahrrea and vomiting(after drinking water and pediliate), his poop was brown like chocolate, we don't know if it was from the pediliate that is a grape flavor and...

After parvo [ 1 Answers ]

My dog was diagnosted with parvo last Friday (6 days ago), he stayed in the clinic for 4 days, the vet was giving him IV, and some kind of antibiotic, I went to pick him up today(wednesday) he hadn't thrown up since Monday morning, when we were coming from the vet he threw up a little bit, and then...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search