Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RhymePhile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Hooking up DVR to DVD recorder, to receiver, to HDTV
    I've been looking for the exact answer to my specific problem, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I hope someone can help me.

Here's my equipment:
    Comcast Scientific Atlanta HDDVR cable box (8300HD, 1 HDMI out, component Out 1, composite Out 2, digital audio)
    Samsung LCD HDTV (LNT4065F, brand new, lots of connection options)
    Panasonic DVD recorder (SMR-ES15) (from 2006, no HDMI)
    Sony STR-DG910 receiver (HDMI, composite, component, but no S-video)
    Samsung upconverting DVD player
    Sony Playstation2

I haven't been able to figure out how to hook up the DVD recorder into this. This is what I have currently:

HDMI out from DVR to "Sat" on receiver
    Samsung DVD player HDMI out to "DVD" on receiver
    PS2 component out to "Video 1" on receiver
    Everything then goes HDMI out to TV. The receiver upscales to HDMI.
    When I watch TV, I have to turn on the DVR and the receiver, and the receiver is set to "Sat". To play PS2, I use Video 1. For DVD, I use DVD, of course. There is a Video 2 on the receiver that can be used. All sound is pumped through the receiver; TV speakers are not used.

What I want to do is record shows onto my SciAtl HDDVR, then record onto the DVD recorder. I realize it won't be HD quality, etc. I get that. But it *needs* to go through the HDDVR, because obviously that's the only way I get digital channels (like, for example, The Hallmark Channel, which has movies I can record for my mother, who doesn't get digital cable). I don't want to use a splitter. The recorder would only be used to record.

I have entertained the option of using composite Out 2 from the HDDVR to the DVD recorder (as the manual suggests when using a VCR to record from the DVR), and then recorder to the TV, bypassing the receiver. BUT... since I need to have the receiver on to watch TV (and use the DVR) would this work?

I've been through two different online forums and no one has responded! Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is driving me crazy. :confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Geez, you have a very eclectic set of toys.

First, the focal point of all connections is going to be the Sony AV receiver, which by the way has three HDMI ports at the top of the back left.

Port 1 is where you put the HDMI cable from the Comcast box, HDMI #2 is where you connect your HDV recorder. Port 3 is used for only a Blu-ray.

Regardless of what you would like to do, you will not be able to watch and record a different station. That is because your comcast box only has one input cable, not two.

I wasn't able to find any info on the DVD Up Converting DVD, but you really don't need it any more. The Sony AVR will handle the upward conversion of video signals to the lower end of the HD range, probably 480P.

Start simple, Comcast to HDMI port 1, DVD with HDMI port 2, Output of the Sony goes to the TV, perferrably by HDMI or component. Turn the speakers off on the TV. The Sony can process 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1. Speaker ans subwoofer go to the Sony.

See how that works before we need do any thing else.
    RhymePhile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Port 1 is where you put the HDMI cable from the Comcast box, HDMI #2 is where you connect your HDV recorder. Port 3 is used for only a Blu-ray. (*snip*)

Start simple, Comcast to HDMI port 1, DVD with HDMI port 2, Output of the Sony goes to the TV, perferrably by HDMI or component. Turn the speakers off on the TV. The Sony can process 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1. Speaker ans subwoofer go to the Sony.

See how that works before we need do any thing else.
    Thanks for your reply, but I think you missed something in my original post: my DVD recorder does not have HDMI capabilities, and thus I can't use Port 2 for it. My DVD player does.

I already have everything hooked up the way you suggest; what I don't have is an understandable way to fit the Panasonic DVD recorder into the mix, as it doesn't have HDMI.

The DVD recorder and its need (I think) for the RF hookup is what is confusing me. Specifically, what I need is a way to hook up the DVD recorder to my Comcast HDDVR, in order to record programs from digital cable.

But as I said in my original post, since I need to turn on the receiver in order to use the cable box, I can't get my head around a way to route the DVD recorder through the receiver.

Thanks for your further help.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 10:25 AM
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize I left off part of your question.

Since the Sony STR, is the focal connection point, on the back side there are both Component and Composite video ports. I would suggest, that you use the Video 2 Component (RGB) and Supply the sound via a coax attach to the STR. If you are already using the coax, you can re-map one of the fiber optic ports just above the coax.

I have a similar setup on my Sony. I have the cable, two DVD players and a Game Cube for the grandchildren.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connections for dvd recorder to dvr [ 4 Answers ]

HELP! HELP! I have a dvd recorder that I want to connect to my cable dvr.I have triedvarious hook ups and all I get is a scarmbled picture no sound.my TV is an older model with no s video.I need answers in plain terms. I am electronically challenged.I know this can be done,I had it hooked up before...

Order of connections: HDTV, Direct TV HD-DVR, HD Receiver, HD-DVD Player [ 7 Answers ]

My HDTV (780p or 1080i) has 2 HDMI inputs, My Receiver has 2 HDMI, My HD-DVD player has 1 HDMI, My Direct TV HD-DVR has 1 HDMI. All have component inputs as well. What order should I go starting with the TV

Connect satellite/dvr to dvd recorder to TV [ 2 Answers ]

I am having problems connecting my direct TV satellite with tivo/dvr to my dvd recorder and TV. I have it hooked up but it won't record.

Hooking up TV,DVD video recorder, stereo receiver, and dish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a panasonic Tv, Dish, Sony stereo receiver and now trying to add a DVD video recorder... PLEASE HELP. Directions don't seem to be to confusing and I thought I followed them...

View more questions Search