Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Martin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 07:59 PM
    240 volt wall heater
    I am installing a wall heater in a room. The heater has a ground wire and a black and red wire. How do you hook it up to 240 volts? Do I need to run four wires, three wires? I have a double breaker at 20 amps already in the circuit breaker panel but what do I need to hook up power. Does one of the wires on the heater need two power wires to make the 240?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2006, 10:08 PM
    Hire someone who knows what they are doing.

The 240 VT ( normally referred to as 220 vt) will have three wires, two hot wires of 120 each and one ground wire.

Your black and white wires are for the "hot" wires, the other the ground.

You will have one hot wire coming from each breaker or ( two wires from the double breaker) and then a ground wire that comes from the grounding plate in your box.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2006, 07:54 AM
    HI,
    I strongly suggest following the first answer you received, and hiring someone to do this. You are going to need a 220-240 Volt wall receptable, as well as a 220 Volt male plug-in, wired to your heater wiring, which to plug into the receptable.
    This has to be done according to the Codes in your local area. I do wish you the best.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Part of your confusion may be the black and red wires in your heater, and the black and white of the 2 wire cable you have. Code allows a 2 wire cable with black and white to be used for a 240 volt circuit, therefore the voltage across both the black and white can be 240 volts. The code does require you to re-mark the white wire with colored tape to indicate that this white wire is not a neutral of a 120 volt circuit, but is a hot wire.

The black and white of your 2 wire cable will connect to the black and red at the heater, can be black to black and white(with black tape) to the red on the heater.

Be absolutely sure that the ground wire is connected both at the source and at the heater, this is the most important wire in an electrical system.

And to clarify, 220 volt is no longer used in North America, was popular many decades ago. The nominal residential voltage now is 120/240 volts. There are other voltages used for commercial and industrial applications, such as 208, 277, and 480. I have had electricians use "220" volts while explaining something to me, they were reprimanded and told to go on their own time to test and read the exact voltage of what they were working on, as knowing the exact voltage is important with ratings of equipment, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

GFCI for wall heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a wall heater in a small bathroom. The heater will be next to a pedestal sink and controlled by a wall switch. The heater will be on its own 12 gauge, 20 amp circuit. The question is, should I install a GFCI outlet in the line before the heater to give ground fault protection to...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

240 Volt Wall Heater [ 7 Answers ]

I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers one white and one black and connected them to the black and red leads from the wall unit and the ground poles on the heater box but it does not work. If I disconnect the white wire from the circuit breaker and connect it to the white posts on...

View more questions Search