Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snoosue Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
    I have a spot on my tongue with no tastebuds. Why?
    I know for a fact that I grind my teeth at night, and I'm not sure if this may have something to do with it, but on the left front tip of my tongue, about an inch wide, I have a spot with no tastebuds. I've has this spot for a few years, but it has gotten bigger, about double its size. It's happened gradually, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were from me grinding my teeth. It doesn't hurt at all. Does any one know why this could be happening? :confused:
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Is the "spot" on your tongue a different colour, raised, concave, have any margins around it?

Mar 6, 2008, 07:35 PM
    No, it is just missing the taste buds. It's not bumped out, or sunk in, its not sore or discolored.

Here's a picture:
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:43 PM
    I would suggest you have your dentist take a look at it since you've said it has changed in size. I don't think it is caused by grinding your teeth.

Mar 6, 2008, 07:51 PM
    I always forget to ask, I think its just because I get freaked out sitting in the chair with the light shinning at me.

I know that if it was something super bad, they probably would have noticed it, but I will defiantly ask next time, thanks.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:00 PM
    I would hope they have recorded it's appearance and size during their regular oral cancer screening.

Mar 6, 2008, 08:18 PM
    I don't think I have ever had an oral cancer screening.
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 08:28 PM
    It should be done at every check up appointment by either the hygienist or dentist. If you haven't had one done, ask for one.

Mar 6, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Okay, thank you. I will.
    summerywinter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Hi, I know this was posted awhile ago, but the picture looks like something called "Geographic tongue." There may be a more scientific name for it, but if you Google geographic tongue lots of things, including pictures should pop up. I myself have it, although I have many more spots than one on my tongue, and sometimes they turn white by the edges and hurt when I eat certain foods.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Dec 5, 2008, 06:55 PM

Oh yeah geographic tongue for sure.. benign migratory glossitis if I remember my dental school days!
    music_101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 08:26 PM
    It might be geographic tongue if the patches move area and if they come and go
    But if its not then there's nothing to worry about
    And most likely it would be the whole biting my tongue thing
    But dentists recommend that you eat some unsweeted yogurt regurly and that will
    Fight the bacteria & the chances of them to take away more taste buds from your tongue
    & you should get those medicated mouthguards while you sleep and soon the tastebuds will grow
    Back and you'd lose the habit.
    And in no time you'll have your normal tongue back.
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2010, 07:14 AM

Music - please note the date of the original post. This is an old post and the OP is probably not following this thread any longer.
    aaron123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 05:52 PM
    I have little spots on my tongue, and I don't know what it is, they only hurt when I bend my tongue in or eat something sweet or hot. And its starting to become a problem and I don't know what to do to help it, should I swish salt water?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've got a yellow spot like a normal acne spot on my penis. [ 21 Answers ]

I've got like a 1/2cm spot with a yellow/white head on it on my penis about halfway up. Its like a normal acne spot on a face but I have no idea what it is?. I've squeezed it, thinking it was a normal spot and whitish pus has come out (exactly like a normal spot on your face when you squeeze it)......

Fordyce's spot (White Spot on penis) [ 15 Answers ]

I have quite a lot of small white lumps on my penis and scrotum, after doing research and looking at pictures I think these might be Fordyce's spots, but I have found one spot which looks similar to the rest but maybe the littlest bit bigger and has a yellowish head, is it possible for the penis to...

Black spot on tongue [ 2 Answers ]

My friends husband has noticed a black spot on his tongue in the last couple of weeks. It doesn't hurt . She says it looks like a stain.He is worried about it.

Black spot on tongue of 8 month old [ 5 Answers ]

My 8 month old daughter has a black spot on the end of her tongue.. does anyone know what this could be caused by? She is currently fighting a cold... could this be associated with the spot?

Spot on tongue [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 6 months old and has had a spot on the top part of his tongue for about a week now. It was pretty small but is now about half the size of a dime. He has new teeth coming in on the top but the spot seems too far back and too far to the right for him to have made it from him biting himself....

View more questions Search