Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shrishti0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Will coloring the hair increase dandruff in the hair ?
    Hi,

I recently colored my hair and I feel that the dandruff has increased. I used to use sunsilk before coloring my hair and it was nice and smooth , after coloring I changed to Loreal color shampoo and I feel the dandruff has increased. Can you tell me if I can use sunsilk itself or is the dandruff because of hair coloring.:confused:
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Did you do a test patch before actually going all out?

Did you have this done professionally or at home?

Dandruff is a common "allergic reaction" to hair coloring.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Well, I've never had a problem with dandruff from coloring my hair. But everyone's scalp is different. If you think it might be the shampoo then switch back to your regular one. I've tried the loreal color protecting shampoo too and it really didn't even make any difference, my hair faded in the normal amount of time it does with any other shampoo I've ever used.
    shrishti0 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Wow..! I never knew we were supposed to do patch testing... nevertheless it was done by a professional... but she suggested Matrix shampoo for better maintenance... I thot they are pretty expensive..! :(... anyway... do u have any suggestion for reducing the dandruff "just curious" or" i sneeze"??

Thanks for the reply..! Lplease et me know what the solution is..!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 05:07 PM
    I've fallen in love with aveda's scalp benefits. You could try that
    krazycee07 Posts: 86, Reputation: 4
    -

Mar 16, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Coloring your hair doesn't cause dandruff, it may not be dandruff it might be a buid up from hair products that you used, but anyway used head and shoulders, or t/gel shampoo!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Dandruff particles are visible flakes of skin that have been continuously shed from the scalp. It is normal to shed some dead skin flakes as the skin is constantly renewing itself. The new cells form in the lower layers. They are gradually pushed to the surface as more new cells form beneath them. By the time they reach the surface, the cells have become flat and overlap each other roof tiles. By then, these cells are dead and are shed from the surface all the time. They are so small that we do not notice this is happening. With dandruff, this whole process of skin renewal (or skin turnover) speeds up, so a greater number of dead cells are being shed. Also, the cells are shed in clumps, which are big enough to be seen with the naked eye as embarrassing flakes, especially when they land on dark clothing. The scalp may also feel slightly itchy.

Here are some factors that promote dandruff:

1. Cold, dry weather. Dandruff is much more common in the winter where the weather outside is frightful, but the dry indoor heating is even more frightful.

2. Bad hygienic habits. Infrequent shampooing, harsh shampoos, use of the wrong conditioners, and improper rinsing can all contribute to dandruff.

3. "Too frequent coloring of the hair. Coloring and all the heat-related torture that women undergo in beauty parlors certainly do not promote a healthy scalp."

4. Long-term stress and anxiety. This is a low-probability cause of dandruff but it can't be ruled out.

5. Bad diet. A diet rich in saturated fats and trans-fatty oils causes the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum - the delicacy that P. ovale, as well as other flora, thrive on.

6. Hormonal changes. These changes, especially in a woman's body, can accelerate skin cell cycling.

You can try using Head & Shoulders , Neutrogena T/Gel Anti-Dandruff Shampoo or other shampoos that formulated to get rid of the dandruff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best anti dandruff shampoo for color treated hair [ 5 Answers ]

I have a lot of dandruff I also color my hair, is there any good anti dandruff shampoo which is safe for color treated hair:)

Dry and frizzy hair from leaving hair coloring on too long. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I usually color my hair every four weeks to cover up the gray. I use the same color " medium copper brown" which is a little lighter than my natural color. The last time I colored my hair, I left it on for too long, almost an hour, I was talking on the telephone and didn't notice the...

Hair Coloring - Dying auburn hair with grey roots [ 2 Answers ]

Any advice for dying already dyed auburn hair with massive grey roots. I heard that using an ash color will diminish the brassiness.

Hair coloring [ 5 Answers ]

I have blue, purple and pink in my hair but it washes out really quickly so I'm constantly re-dying it. It fade after I've washed my hair about 3 times. Could it be washing out because of the shampoo I use? I also straighten my hair every day, could that also cause it to fade out more quick? What...

Hair loss and dandruff. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm age 17 and this started to happen a few months back. My hair would never fall down when I did anything, but now it's starting to easily. And I really thought that I took great care of my hair.. Anytime when I take a shower, I would see about twelve or more long hairs fall off (Esp. right...

View more questions Search