Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zenus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Low water pressure/flow in kitchen faucet only
    I installed a new faucet Dec 7, 2007 in the kitchen which is on the second floor of a three level single family house.--it is a single handle lever type (Pegasus). The faucet worked fine for about 70 days and then the water flow decreased to a trickle... immediately, no gradual slowing. I replaced the catridge in the faucet with a new one and the trickle became worse. If I remove the nozzle head, the flow of water is very slight. There are no kinks in the flexible stainless steel supply lines. All five (5) other faucets in the house work fine. The kitchen faucet is directly above the water heater (gas) and the dishwasher hot water which comes from a closeby copper pipe works well with great pressure. What could be causing this? Advise greatly appreciated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 05:06 AM
    If you removed the cartridge and that did not improve things I want you to climb under sink and shut the water off and disconnect the water lines to hot and cold connections of faucet. Then, I want you to direct the flexible connectors into a bucket (if not flexible you will need to get creative here) and then turn on water to each connector and see if you have full pressure at each water line. If flow is decreased then issue in hoses or at shutoffs.

If full pressure present then problem is still up in the faucet... Reconnect these lines and then pulse the water to clear the valve of any debris (cartridge out). Do you have pressure now? If so, may be all set... replace cartridge again and see.

If not, you need to remove the parts again... and with pipes still disconnected underneath... work under and on top to find the blockage... may even need to hook a vacuum to faucet from underneath and see if can suck back debris... but only as worst case.. ok?

The debris is either from the water heater sediment or may just be from some old solder or similar getting loose and plugging the valve.

Try these things... get back to us. Depending on what you find, we can go through how to FLUSH your water heater next (IF you even have one.. ;) )

Good luck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 5, 2008, 05:07 AM
    When you had the valve apart did you turn the water on for a minute toflush out the supplies and valve body? You should have a full stream, if not click on back. Sorry Massplumber, we were both posting at the same time. Good luck, Tom
    DaPlUmBeRGuY Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2008, 06:57 PM
    I Agree With Both Other Replys ? Check Each Supply Line Separately And Reconnect Supplies And Leave Water Valves Off , And Pull Cartridge Put A Cup Over Cartridge Opening And Slowly Turn Water On , On Each Hot And Cold ? And Of Corse Make Sure Areator Is Free And Clear Too !
    Good Luck , Rich
    1TinyTeena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    If you removed the cartridge and that did not improve things I want you to climb under sink and shut the water off and disconnect the water lines to hot and cold connections of faucet. Then, I want you to direct the flexible connectors into a bucket (if not flexible you will need to get creative here) and then turn on water to each connector and see if you have full pressure at each water line. If flow is decreased then issue in hoses or at shutoffs.

If full pressure present then problem is still up in the faucet...Reconnect these lines and then pulse the water to clear the valve of any debris (cartridge out). Do you have pressure now? If so, may be all set...replace cartridge again and see.

If not, you need to remove the parts again...and with pipes still disconnected underneath...work under and on top to find the blockage....may even need to hook a vacuum to faucet from underneath and see if can suck back debris...but only as worst case..ok?

The debris is either from the water heater sediment or may just be from some old solder or similar getting loose and plugging the valve.

Try these things...get back to us. Depending on what you find, we can go through how to FLUSH your water heater next (IF you even have one..;) )

Good luck
    I have a faucet by Pegasus as well and have the same issues. I followed the instructions above and disconnected the water supply and tested in a bucket and I got great pressure! I reconnected and again barely a flow. When I take out the cartidge water bursts out and turn on the water supply the pressure is awesome. When I place the cartridge back in, water is barely a trickle. After reading the reviews on this faucet, I really think it has nothing to do with my water supply and EVERYTHING to do with the shotty engineering of the faucet! The manufacturer will not answer their phones and you can't leave a voicemail because the box is full.
    eightlugs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Hello,
    I have the same problem with a Pegasus unit, but I had a better experience with their Customer Service. I called, left a message and within 15 minutes my call was returned. After I discussed the problem with the representative, he promised to send out a new cartridge. Home Depot does not stock the unit, so this may be my best hope.
    1TinyTeena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by eightlugs
    Hello,
    I have the same problem with a Pegasus unit, but I had a better experience with their Customer Service. I called, left a message and within 15 minutes my call was returned. After I discussed the problem with the representative, he promised to send out a new cartridge. Home Depot does not stock the unit, so this may be my best hope.
    Update: I finally ended up calling Home Depot and without question they sent me a gift card via courier for $250 and did not want other unit back. I purchased another faucet of the same model & it works like a charm! (so far) Home Depot has stopped carrying this faucet because of all of the complaints but it DOES come with a lifetime warranty! PS: Pegasus was the "house brand" supplied for Home Depot and now their units seem to be showing up as "glacier bay" and a few other names all the same product!!
    hacke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2011, 10:52 PM
    I am not a plumber but do have one of these faucits that was having the same problem. The way I back flushed the valves in the faucit was I first turned off the hot water unhooked the supply line from the supply valve at the wall and then but the supply line un a one gallon pitcher opened the hot water valve on the sink all the way then holding the supply line in the pitcher reached up and torned on the cold water on the faucet and the cold water went through to the hot water side and out the hot water supply line. I filled the pitcher about five separate times before the water started to come out totally clean again. After this I hooked up the hot water supply line then did the same to the cold side while doing the cold side I also left the hot water turned off a couple of times and let all the water drain out of the faucet down through the unhooked supply line the blew air backwards through the faucet after removing the airator this seemed to help a lot also then finished flushing out the cold side tell the water ran clear. After hooking all lines back up it worked much better. Out of curiosity before I started I time it and it took three minits to fill a one gallon pitcher after back flushing it the way I did it took 1 min 10 seconds to fill a one gallon pitcher. For about 25 minits of work it was well worth the effort. Not shure what the gallons per minits where originally but its much better now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure through kitchen faucet but not sprayer [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I am having a problem with low water pressure through my kitchen faucet but water pressure through the sprayer is fine. It is a Moen faucet don't know the model # but series # is 7400. The kitchen was recently renovated so the faucet is quite new maybe 2 years old. Wondering if...

Low water pressure on kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hoping that someone can help me on my issue because I am at my end! I recently replaced my kitchen faqucet with a Peerless, two handle faucet with sprayer. Since then my water pressure has been poor. I then took off the sprayer and capped the middle threaded outlet underneath but I still have...

Kitchen faucet water pressure low then high [ 4 Answers ]

My kitchen faucet hot and cold has low water pressure when turn on but run normal with high pressure after ran water a few minutes, nothing but water came out. It happened same situation every time when turn on the faucet. Other faucets inside the house are OK, only the one...

Low water pressure from kitchen faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I turn on my hot or cold and just getting half of what I should have, I checked the aereator and it it OK, Fixture is 2 yrs old, hot and cold handles. I unscrewed top knob to take apart but could not unscrew the handle or cap. Help

Low cold water flow/pressure in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

We live on the 6th floor in a 12-story condo building and have always had low cold water flow/pressure in the kitchen sink. The hot water is OK, as is the cold water in the bathrooms. I've adjusted the pressure valve under the sink to get as much flow/pressure as possible, but the stream is barely...

View more questions Search