Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisa stansbury Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Is it better to count calories or fat grams in order to lose weight?
    I am interested in knowing your advice regarding calories vs. fat grams... is it better to watch calories or far grams?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 01:29 PM
    A combination of both. I would cut out maybe a couple hundred calories a day and look for choices with fewer grams of fat to substitute fattier food items as well.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Mar 4, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I agree, it's a combo of both. Some fat free foods actually have more calories than the regular kind! Try to cut out sugary drinks, fast foods, processed foods, and high fat/calorie foods. Checking with the doctor before you start a weight loss program is always a good thing to do. It can really help to get the doctor's input on what your ideal weight would be, how to diet, and to make sure you are healthy enough to exercise. When you diet, make sure you are still eating balanced meals and getting all the vitamins and nutrients that you need.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Check these out before you make a decision:

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - New York Times

ABC News: Excerpt: 'Good Calories, Bad Calories'
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Watching your fat intake is # 1 on my list of things to watch and lower, use spreads, olive oil and stay away from high percentages of fats in general. If you learn to read the nutritional labels on food products, they give you a wealth of information on all the nutrients in any product your eating. Including the correct portion size for the calories indicated by the label. I know that everyone wants a magic # for how many calories they take in every day, but people are different and unless you have a through physical and we know how your metabolism works slow, fast, etc, how fast your body actually digest foods, there's no correct amount of calories, again I can you you an average, the new average for females is 1600-1800 calories, and males 2700-2900. But what I advise is not worry so much about how many calories, what is most important is are you eating correct portions of healthy foods, (unprocessed, no fast foods, fried or fatty foods) if you keep your sodium and sugar intakes to a real low level and eat lean cuts of meats and fish, with 3 oz. being a serving size along with veggies and fruits and whole grain products, you'll be OK.
    northrebel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Thank you so much, best answer I've had that really make since...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should my calorie intake be-in order to lose weight for my height? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 5'2" and I recal a certain formula for calculating calorie intake FOR weight loss. I know it starts with : what is your goal weight (x) energy output = calories needed (to achieve goal. Does anyone know this formula? I really would love to know because I don't know how much I should...

Calories vs fats for proper weight gain [ 10 Answers ]

In creating a diet for weight gain is it more important to look at caloric value on food lables or fat content. I appreciate that there are good fats and bad fats but that is not the question. I have been divorced for a year and am just stabilizing my life and looking to put the 20 lbs that I...

Calories VS fat intake? [ 3 Answers ]

Need to know which is most important my daily calorie intake, or fat intake, in order to lose weight, I eat a lot of fast food, and don't really cook, live on a lot of mcdonalds?

Weight loss calories [ 2 Answers ]

If the total calories is 200 And serving container is about 4? How do I find the total calories for 1 serving?

View more questions Search