Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larrylove Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Hiding Family Inheritance
    My Dad is 80 now and my sister and brother are keeping everything from me even his health good or bad. I am the oldest and need to know what to do now to preserve the family assets. He is in Florida and I am in California. No one even told me when my mother died. Looks fishy to me. What are they hiding?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Boxes of cash? Who knows what they are hiding, do they have POA or guardianship over him. Have you talked to your father, when was the last trip you took to see him>

They could be doing anything they wanted if he allows it to happen.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 09:38 AM
    You need to talk to your father or try to have your lawyer call his lawyer because they could have a POA over him and they wouldn't have to tell you anything. Not that it is in their best interest or anything I really have no reason they aren't letting you in but that could be one reason that they don't feel they need to.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by larrylove
    My Dad is 80 now and my sister and brother are keeping everything from me even his health good or bad. I am the oldest and need to know what to do now to preserve the family assets. He is in Florida and I am in California. No one even told me when my mother died. Looks fishy to me. What are they hiding?

I have no idea what they're hiding or why. Sounds like a history of not getting along. You have a couple of options - fly to Florida and see what's going on with your own eyes; get an Attorney involved long distance. Your father was (obviously) alive when your mother died and he didn't notify you so perhaps he doesn't want you in the picture.

As long as your father is able to make decisions he could very well be disposing of assets, he could be giving away things as gifts, he could be writing you out of the Will. They could also be doing nothing but taking care of your father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hiding a Tattoo [ 8 Answers ]

This one is for all you tattooed people out there! I was wondering if anyone knew of a makeup that would cover up a tattoo? My fiancés parents are sort of conservative... LOL and needless to say they don't know about my body art. So... anything out there on the market that can hide my secret?...

Blended family equal inheritance [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married 19 years in California. She had one son and I had three children prior to our marriage. We subsequently have one 18 year old son together. We want to make a trust to provide for inheritance. She wants a 50 50 split. I would leave half of our estate to my four...

California Family Inheritance Law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My father passed away three years ago with no will or living trust. He didn't have any stocks or monies left except for a house that he and my mom owned. A year after he died, she transferred the ownership of the house only to her name without telling my sister and me. She is now living...

View more questions Search