Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dakota110 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Sewer smell inside on windy days
    All,

My wife and I built our house 3 years ago in a high wind area (30-60 mph) and have had the wind suck our p-traps dry with every wind storm (Usually over 40 mph wind). I have done some research and found out that the vent pipes on the roof could be the culprit. I was wondering if there are check valves or similar on the market for purchase? And if in fact the ventpipes are supposed to only let air in, not out? What can I do to keep from having to refill the fixtures almost weekly?

Any help would be great
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota110
    All,

my wife and I built our house 3 years ago in a high wind area (30-60 mph) and have had the wind suck our p-traps dry with every wind storm (Usually over 40 mph wind). I have done some research and found out that the vent pipes on the roof could be the culprit. I was wondering if there are check valves or similar on the market for purchase? And if in fact the ventpipes are supposed to only let air in, not out? What can I do to keep from having to refill the fixtures almost weekly?

Any help would be great
    I'm going to put up two images. One is a vent cap,(That's the mushroom looking thingy) and the other is a vent filter. The vent cap should break the airflow over the vent and decrease the suction. I have never used the vent filter but it would work in your situation. Your thoughts? Regards, Tom

Mar 2, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Speedball1,

I think a vent cap would be the way to go. Do you know where I could find one, maybe at LOWE's or such stores? Are they proven to work? Last year I installed those slotted type (designed to keep leaves out) but no help on high wind days. I need to keep the wind from vacuuming the lines, I think the vent cap looks like it may work.

Thanks for your answer
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Just click on; Plumbing Vents to see a assortment of vent caps. I believe Ace Hardware stocks them but try the big box stroes also. Good luck, Tom

Mar 2, 2008, 04:10 PM
    This helps a lot, thanks Tom.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Cut the top of you vent at a 45 degree angle. Put the high side opposite the prevailing wind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell When Windy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm new to this board and hope this makes sense. I live in a newer house (7 years old). There is a toilet in the basement. When it is windy outside, there is a septic smell coming from that toilet area. This toilet drains into an ejector pump that goes out to the septic tank. It...

All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad. We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main. The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get...

Bad smell when windy [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a new home (less than two years old) and when it is windy I notice a horrible smell coming from the master bath. I can not locate where the smell is coming from (like the toilet, sink, shower or tub) the whole bathroom just smells. We are not on a septic tank, just the city sewer. I...

Sewer smell when washing clothes and metal smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved in a Lease to own house and after one month there is now a smell of sewer when washing clothes. The smell in the water has been here since day one and we are in the process of testing the well water. Can anyone help? I think we have a septic tank since we are on well water but the...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search