Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Orange stained grout in shower
    Can anyone tell me what is causing the grout in our shower to stain an orange colour?
    It doesn't stain all of the grout and it comes off easily with a brush. Would it be from the soap or shampoo being used (none of it orange!) or does the grout need to be resealed?:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 09:33 AM
    It is actually bacteria from body soil (sorry but that's logical, we all have body soil) that's why we shower. And, yes, probably has to be resealed so that bacteria won't stick as easily, it always adheres to a rough surface more readily. When cleaning it off to reseal I would use a good dose of something completely antibacterial like Pinesol and would go even further to ssy I would use 3% peroxide with a small brush on the grout only to give it a double whammy.
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Thanks tickle. Do you suggest BOTH the PineSol and peroxide or can I just use the peroxide (I'm not a fan of the fumes that PineSol gives off)?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 02:39 AM
    Hi, flossie, anything antibacterial before the peroxide. I know the peroxide should be enough but when I am doing cleaning like this I like to make sure that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING will survive after. And if you have the patience seal 'only' the grout between the tile with a small paint brush. I once new a woman who when told by her husband to seal the grout, she did the whole thing, ceramic tile and all.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:25 AM
    A cleaner with tea tree oil in it should be OK shouldn't it?
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:41 PM
    OK... thanks tickle!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Another possibility is that it's an iron stain. This sometimes happens with well water.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:48 PM
    We are on city water and use a water softener.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:56 PM
    See water softener iron removal:

Rust Remover

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Shower floor grout [ 2 Answers ]

I want to regrout my shower floor with another color grout. Can I go over the existing grout? Or do I need to grind out some of the existing grout lines. Also will new grout adhere to old?

Caulk and grout in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced some tiles on my shower floor and walls. I scraped out as much grout (it didn't look like caulk) as I could at the wall joints and the floor/wall joints, but didn't get most of it out. Then I put sanded grout in the joints and over the old grout, but after doing further reading...

Caulk vs. Grout in the shower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a shower with tile on both the walls and floor. It is a natural stone type tile. The grout (at least I think it is grout) at the joint where the wall tile meets the floor tile has turned black with mold and/or mildew and I need to replace it. I think the cause is inadequate...

Cracked grout on shower seat [ 1 Answers ]

I am seeking some information regarding a shower seat problem that I have. I'm in a new house (about 8 months old), and the grout at the top of my shower seat (where the top meets the front face) keeps cracking and I believe the tile itself is moving/buckling. I had the same problem in my...

View more questions Search