Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    k1kem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Shower floor tile over concrete
    I am installing a new shower in my basement. It has a concrete subfloor and the drain is roughed in for a tub. I am installing ceramic tile on the floor and walls. I have three questions. First, at what height do I install the drain if I do not know the finished height of the tile? Second, how much of a slope is required for a shower floor 32" wide by 48" long? Lastly, should I install a liner if the subfloor is concrete? Thanks in advance for your advise.

Kerry
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Hi K1

Let's see... First, look at this site... this will help you to see what is involved in doing this job correctly.

How to Build a Shower Pan

Then, yes, you need to install a liner (as presented at the site provided) EVEN on a concrete floor *sorry* ;)

You will need to pitch the liner (see website) using concrete and tar paper, Then install the liner, then install drain into/with the liner pan.

Then you will TEST the liner by plugging the drain with a test ball or similar (Cherne makes this test ball... sold at plumbing supply house... see pic.#1)... fill pan to threshold level or near, then mark that height with permanent marker and 24 hours later should still be real near that line (some evaporation is expected, but mark should be damn close to water line).

THEN you can pour the concrete... will need to be concerned about weep holes around drain (will explain more as you go along) and adjust the drain height at that point for your tile (see pic.#2... this is type os shower strainer used with vinyl/PVC liners.).

YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE THE TILE YOU WILL USE FOR THE SHOWER to determine finished height of strainer.. I recommend a tile about 2"x2".. does great job accommodating the slope of shower floor.

Now, slope... I like 1/8" to the foot....some go 1/4"... some go 1/2"...I hate 1/2"/ft. pitch in shower... feels like I am going to fall into the drain... stick with the 1/8"/ft. (my opinion).

Also, note that a shower drain is required to be 2" pipe. You have a tub that was probably roughed in 1.5 inch pipe. YOU SHOULD re-pipe to 2" pipe all the way back to the three inch pipe for toilet... but if not, you will need to increase the pipe size in order to install the right shower strainer.

There... *whew*... This should get you started. Let me know what you are thinking and if we can help anymore.

If this helped please click on RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile to carpet transition - concrete floor. [ 3 Answers ]

I will be tiling in my basement, on a concrete floor. Would it be better to install backerboard under the tile to bring it up 1/4" or 1/2" to make the carpet/tile transition easier? Or should I lay tile on concrete floor and then transition it from that height? Any suggestions would be helpful. ...

How to remove ceramic tile removed from concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

There is a 3'x4' area of ceramic tile at the base of my stairwell between living and dining areas. Laminate flooring will be laid. Is it necessary to remove the small area of tile? Or, can laminate flooring be laid over it? If it needs to be removed what is the simplest way? :(

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search