Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 25, 2008, 06:24 AM
    What are the real 10 commandments?
    ZachZ asked that I post this question here. The question was originally posed to the Christian site and, so far, has received no resolution.

Any help would be appreciated.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Exodus 20:2-17 lists the commandments that are accepted today, but Moses is repeating to the people what god told him. They are not written down.

Some time later, Moses goes back to God and gets the stone tablets. Exodus 31:18. But, when he came down, the people were busy building a golden calf (I know the feeling, turn your back for one minute) and he smashed the tablets... Exodus 31:19. The word commandment hasn't been mentioned to this point. In the first instance, these were words that god "spake". In the second, the words are called "testimony".

Moses goes back a third time and when he returns with the new tablets, the term "10 commandments" is finally mentioned. Exodus 34:28. This time, though, we have a different set of commandments.

They are (Exodus 34: 13-28):

Thou shall worship no other god.
    Thou shall make thee no molten gods.
    The feast of unleavened bread shall be kept.
    Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh, thou shalt rest.
    Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
    Thrice in a year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.
    Thy shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
    Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of passover be left unto the morning.
    The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt being unto the house of the Lord thy God.
    Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

Appears we Christians are missing out on a number of feast opportunities.

What did I miss?
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Feb 25, 2008, 06:19 PM
    The narrative in the text can appear quite confusing, and at some points, even out of order. The bottom line is that the ten statements (better than "commandments") were to be spoken by god to the people. The people, though, were freaked out by the pure holiness an power of god's voice so after number 2, they asked for Mo to say them after having them told to him by god. Those 2+8 are the 10 carved into both sets of tablets.

There is debate over exactly which of the statements is to be taken as a discrete statement and which is simply tied to others, or serves as a general introduction. The way we understand them is

1. I am the Lord your God...
    2. You shall have no other God's before me
    3. Don't take God's name in vain
    4. Remember/Guard the Sabbath
    5. Honor your mom and Dad
    6. Don't murder
    7. Don't commit adultery
    8. Don't kidnap (look in Lev 19:11 if you want a regular "don't steal")
    9. Don't bear false witness
    10. Don't covet

These ten which were engraved are only a small bit of all the rules and commandments Moses gave us from god (we have 613 actually). The ones listed in Ex. 34 11 and forward were ones were tied closely to the ability of the poeople to remain loyal to god -- breaking one of them would most likely lead to a loss of spiritual position.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
    In Judaism there are 613 mitzvot. The decalogue (or statements) are given greater significance to Christians, but in Judaism are a part of the mitzvot as a whole. Jewish scholars, rabbis, sages, have dissected the ten even further. For example, in Judaism we recognize that in the first part of commandment one, it can be seen as a statement by itself: "I am the L-rd your G-d." That's a very emphatic statement! We also notice the pattern in the decalogue as to what pertains to our relationship with G-d and which statements refer to our treatment of fellow humans. For advanced study: Judaism 101: Aseret ha-Dibrot: The "Ten Commandments".

As for feasts, you have to see the context of what laws are given to what people. As Jews, pesach (passover) is a Jewish observation. I don't know that Christians are bound to any Jewish stipulated laws, unless you seek conversion. I'm glad to see Christians show an interest in passover and there's good in learning. The Noachide laws though, encompass all people.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2008, 07:43 PM
    I have no idea of why you said there was no conclusion, there were good answers of what the ones you listed were not the 10 commandemtns, if you merely refuse to accept good correct answers, it does not mean that it isnot resolved it merely means you are not accepting correct answers
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 16, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Which Ten Commandments ???

First Tables of Stone (Exodus 20) "which Moses didn't break"

1. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.
    2. You shall not make for yourself a graven image. You shall not bow down to them or serve them.
    3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    5. Honor your father and your mother.
    6. You shall not kill.
    7. You shall not commit adultery.
    8. You shall not steal.
    9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
    10. You shall not covet.

Second Tables of Stone (Exodus 34) "the words that were on the first")

1. Thou shalt worship no other god (For the Lord is a jealous god).
    2. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
    3. The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep in the month when the ear is on the corn.
    4. All the first-born are mine.
    5. Six days shalt thou work, but on the seventh thou shalt rest.
    6. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, even of the first fruits of the wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
    7. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leavened bread.
    8. The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until the morning.
    9. The first of the first fruits of thy ground thou shalt bring unto the house of the Lord thy God.
    10. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk.

===

Protestant Ten Commandments

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
    4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    5. Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
    6. Thou shalt not kill.
    7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    8. Thou shalt not steal.
    9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
    10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his , nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

(King James Bible, issued by the American Bible Society.)

Roman Catholic Ten Commandments

1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.
    2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
    3. Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day
    4. Honor thy Father and thy Mother.
    5. Thou shalt not kill.
    6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    7. Thou shalt not steal.
    8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
    9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.
    10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.

(Catholic Catechism by Peter Cardinal Gasparri, "published with Ecclesiastical approval" and bearing the imprimatur of Patrick Cardinal Hayes, Archbishop, New York. P. J. Kenedy & Sons, 1932.)

Hebrew Ten Commandments

1. I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
    2. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any manner of likeness, of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down unto them, nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; And showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.
    3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.
    4. Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work. But the seventh day is the Sabbath in honour of the Lord thy God; on it thou shalt not do any work, neither thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    5. Honour thy father and thy mother; in order that thy days may be prolonged upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
    6. Thou shalt not kill.
    7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
    8. Thou shalt not steal.
    9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
    10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house; thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his , nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

(Bloch Publishing Company, New York, 1922.)

Ref : K. Budde, History of Ancient Hebrew Literature (*Which* Ten Commandments?)

Jun 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
    I still think that there is some basic confusion regarding what you are pointing to. Judaism has 613 basic laws/commandments. Ten sayings were given orally at Sinai during the revelation of God's glory, and were engraved on tablets (2 sets of tablets -- the first was destroyed when Mo dropped it). The text is recounted twice with subtle, yet important differences, in Ex 20 and Deut 5. The clearest way for you to get a sense of "which ones" is to decide what you are looking for -- the other laws you recount (in Ex 34 for example) are no less important but were not on the tablets.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 17, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosends
    I still think that there is some basic confusion regarding what you are pointing to. Judaism has 613 basic laws/commandments. Ten sayings were given orally at Sinai during the revelation of God's glory, and were engraved on tablets (2 sets of tablets -- the first was destroyed when Mo dropped it). The text is recounted twice with subtle, yet important differences, in Ex 20 and Deut 5. The clearest way for you to get a sense of "which ones" is to decide what you are looking for -- the other laws you recount (in Ex 34 for example) are no less important but were not on the tablets.
    I know about the set of 613 basic laws/commandments. But the question clearly referred to what is known as the "Ten Commandments", and asked for the "real" ones (and as it was posted here, that should mean the Judean version).

So for a review I posted in my previous entry all the versions I know of the "Ten Commandments".

Do you mean to say that what was called in my post the "Hebrew Ten Commandments" and which you call "sayings" are no commandments at all for Judaism?

What happened to the commandments (out of the total number of 20) that were not used in the current Hebrew set ? Into the basic laws/commandments ?

Alternatively : are the two sets of different "Ten Commandments" partly or completely passed on into these basic laws/commandments and are the "Ten Commandments" as such not used ?

:)

Jun 21, 2008, 08:19 PM
    The 10 sayings on the tablets are simply ten of the 613 laws -- none was "not used" as they are all binding laws. That 10 were isolated for being written at the revelation does not confer any different status on them. The second set of laws that you posted was not engraved on a set of stones.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 12:22 AM
    1. Thou shall not worry, for worry is the most unproductive of all human activities.

2. Thou shall not be fearful, for most of the things we fear never come to pass.

3. Thou shall not cross bridges before you come to them, for no one yet has succeeded in accomplishing this.

4. Thou shall face each problem as it comes. You can only handle one at a time anyway.

5. Thou shall not take problems to bed with you, for they make very poor bedfellows.

6. Thou shall not borrow other people's problems. They can better care for them than you can.

7. Thou shall not try to relive yesterday for good or ill, it is forever gone. Concentrate on what is happening in your life and be happy now!

8. Thou shall be a good listener, for only when you listen do you hear ideas different from your own. It is hard to learn something new when you are talking, and some people do know more than you do.

9. Thou shall not become “bogged down” by frustration, for 90% of it is rooted in self-pity and will only interfere with positive action.

10. Thou shall count thy blessings, never overlooking the small ones, for a lot of small blessings add up to a big one
    ONEOneness Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Wow... it's simple... the only place the word 'Commandments' (Hebrew: for 'Words') is used in the Bible is in Exodus 31:28 referring to Exodus 31:13-28. So... Exodus 31:13-28 ARE the ONLY '10 Commandments'. The ones we 'accept' as being the '10 Commandments' are just as 'false' as the 'golden calf'... and isn't that something ! Add to that the fact that Jesus is a Greek bastardization of Yeshua... which was Jesus' ACTUAL name... and you begin to see flaws in the Christian faith... and all faiths that see GOD as being a single gender (male only) being. In the Bible GOD is a 'He'. This is true of the Torah, and the Koran. All religions agree that no-thing is greater than GOD though. So does that mean that the Universe/Multiverse is 'greater than' GOD because it's both male & female ? Science says that EVERYTHING is Energy (m = E÷ c2). If this is so, and GOD is EVERYTHING (otherwise something else that is Everything is 'greater than' God)... then GOD must be Energy, or all that is. Does that mean that All that is, including us, is a part of the total GOD-expression?? See: < http://1-Oneness.com > < http://transform8tion.com > & < http://1World-1Peace.org > for more. I'm wishing all who read this much Joy...
    lynx091 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
    OK I can see some things wrong with the origonal posting to begin with...

"Exodus 20:2-17 lists the commandments that are accepted today, but Moses is repeating to the people what god told him. They are not written down."

Wrong first off here... Moses didn't repeat it. God said it. What Moses repeated to them was what God said in 19:21 "and the Lord told him 'Go down and warn the people'....." Israel heard God speak the 10 commandments. If Moses had said it then there would be quotations around And God spoke all these words... There isn't any because the "And God spoke all these words....." is a narrative. Ex 20:22 even states that they heard God "You have seen for yourselves that I have spoken to you from heaven"

One thing I can see that the writter of the article is missing, a big point. God said HE would rewrite the tablets. The ones with mentioned by the writter were written by Moses
    The list in Exodus 34: 13-28 is 11 or more, not 10 so it couldn't have been the 10 commandments. The guy missed the one talking about making treaties, intermarrying etc.
    Just a little bit more to chew on...
    freeman4 Posts: 102, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 04:27 AM
    The 10 commandments mentioned are the real 10 commandments. The problem was in the old testament times there was no help mate like Gods Holy Spirit in helping keep the commandments. Only a very select few had that at that time.

The teachings of to day is that those have been nailed to the cross and are invalid. But Jesus said that not one dotting of an I or crossing of a t would be taken away from those commandments.

The only thing that was nailed to the cross was the sacrificing of animals because Jesus Christ was our sacrifice once and for all.

But religions are blind to the test commandment, the 4th. Commandment. That is "to observe the Sabbath day and to keep it holy".
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2013, 07:03 AM
    Freeman,

Really? Then why does Paul call the law written on stones the MINISTRY of DEATH? There was NO ONE back before the Lord rose again who had the Holy Spirit indwelling them. No few.. not a select few. NO ONE. However there were some who had the Holy Spirit fall on them.

Mr. Freeman4,

I swear I am not trying to hound you. But I find your answers fascinating and mostly incorrect and Christianity is my passion. I can't help myself. Don't be angry with me.. I mean no harm.

There is NOTHING wrong with the law... it is perfection. That is just the point... it is what it is what it is. It has no power to change anyone, it doesn't bend for anyone, it can't been kept by anyone. (except for our Lord). Paul is clear as to why they were given in the first place... so that sin might abound. Seriously!! The law caused man to sin MORE. It was given to cause man to come to his knees and realize they needed saved. The apostle Paul is a clear as day on this topic.

Aug 10, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Freeman,

Really? Then why does Paul call the law written on stones the MINISTRY of DEATH? There was NO ONE back before the Lord rose again who had the Holy Spirit indwelling them. No few..not a select few. NO ONE. However there were some who had the Holy Spirit fall on them.

Mr. Freeman4,

I swear I am not trying to hound you. But I find your answers fascinating and mostly incorrect and Christianity is my passion. I can't help myself. don't be angry with me..i mean no harm.

There is NOTHING wrong with the law...it is perfection. That is just the point...it is what it is what it is. It has no power to change anyone, it doesn't bend for anyone, it can't been kept by anyone. (except for our Lord). Paul is clear as to why they were given in the first place....so that sin might abound. Seriously!!!! The law caused man to sin MORE. It was given to cause man to come to his knees and realize they needed saved. The apostle Paul is a clear as day on this topic.
    I do not think you know that Jesus Christ was the one who gave the 10 commandments to Moses. That He was the one who wrestled with Jacob. That He was the one in the Garden of Eden speaking to Adam and Eve.

Did you know that, I have proof.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2013, 05:12 AM
    Freeman,

Of course I know it was Jesus who gave the 10 commandments, wrestled with Jacob, I believe it was the Lord who walked with Adam in the cool of the day. I also think it was Jesus who visited Abraham and Sarah to tell them they would have a baby and sarah laughed. The Lord appeared many times in the OT before he was actually born as a man into this world. What does THAT have to do with Paul calling the 10 the ministry of death?

Aug 20, 2013, 05:55 AM
    The truth is when one is converted they will automatically keep the commandments of God. They want Kill, still and will do all the commandments, but one. That is the fourth, the Seventh Days Sabbath.

Jesus did not see He made a mistake and put another day in it's place. He does not change, but man does, and he, man, is the one who change from Saturday to Sunday. If that is not so then there is not any reason to follow God and His ways.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2013, 06:51 AM
    Freeman4,

Why did Paul call the 10 commandments written on stones the ministry of DEATH?

Aug 20, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Back in the time of Old when breaking the commandments it could lead to death, stoning. Many were stoned to death for committing Adultery and much more.

But today when one is converted the commandments are an automatic in put into the Heart / mind of the converted. They do not kill , steal and they keep the rest also.

I am talking about true converted Christians because there are some who claim to be of Christ yet they reject the fourth commandment. Say that is only for the Jews.

I see where God made the Sabbath, the Seventh day for man, not man for the Sabbath. Does God make mistakes? Many thing he did and that He changed the Sabbath to Sunday. No where in scripture is this documented.

Where Peter broke bread on the first day of the week was just a stay over from the Regular Sabbath and he stayed and ate a meal.

http://propheticnewsfortheendtimes.lefora.com/
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2013, 09:40 PM
    What all this indicates is the more you tell something the more it changes over time

I take jesus distilation it is a lot easier

Love God and love your neighbour as yourself

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are the 10 Commandments still valid today? [ 155 Answers ]

I hear some Christians say that God's Law or the 10 Commandments were nailed to the cross. Some say that we need to focus on Christ and stop focusing on the rules or the laws or the Old Testament. I believe that the laws of sacrificial offerings and animal sacrifices were nailed to the cross at...

What are the real 10 Commandments? [ 18 Answers ]

I'm looking for some help here. I've been reading my King James version and I'm confused. Exodus 20:2-17 lists the commandments that are accepted today, but Moses is repeating to the people what god told him. They are not written down. Some time later, Moses goes back to God and gets the...

The Ten Commandments - Need To Know Information [ 2 Answers ]

"Backwoods" Type of Ten Commandments Some people in the "backwoods" of America have trouble with all those "shalls" and "shall nots" in the Ten Commandments. Folks just aren't used to talking in those terms. So, some folks in middle Tennessee got together and translated the "King James" into...

Vatican issues "10 Commandments of Driving" [ 12 Answers ]

Yesterday the Holy See issued "Guidelines for the Pastoral Care of the Road" Story. It seems they don't have the full text on the Vatican site yet, but I bet it's a good read.

View more questions Search