Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcj3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Protection of primary residence in foreclosure of second home
    If I move out of state and my second home becomes primary and I must short sale or foreclose on the home I am leaving due to structural damage and unable to keep rented am I protected in my new primary home?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 11:38 AM
    As long as there was no lien on your second home securing some or all of the debt on the home about to be foreclosed or short-sold, then you should be. You'd be better off trying to get the lender on your current primary home to agree to a short sale as opposed to letting it go into foreclosure since a short sale essentially "writes off" the debt. However, if it goes into foreclosure instead, then they could theoretically come after your other assets to recoup the remaining losses after the foreclosure proceedings have been completed.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

Feb 24, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Protected from what?? If your asking whether the foreclosure of one home can have any effect on the interest of another... no. The collateral of the foreclosed home is the foreclosed home itself; nothing more or less. The bank will not have the ability to place a lien on your new home for the default of the old home. The only time I have ever witnessed liens placed on title, other than by the mortgage company services said property, have been on a state or government level, i.e. state tax liens. I do not advice or advocate foreclosing, but you'll be safe.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

Feb 24, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    As long as there was no lien on your second home securing some or all of the debt on the home about to be foreclosed or short-sold, then you should be. You'd be better off trying to get the lender on your current primary home to agree to a short sale as opposed to letting it go into foreclosure since a short sale essentially "writes off" the debt. However, if it goes into foreclosure instead, then they could theoretically come after your other assets to recoup the remaining losses after the foreclosure proceedings have been completed.
    Well, the short sale doesn't completely write of the debt per say. The difference between the short sale amount and the loan balance is considered a capital gain and he will be taxed accordingly. So, he looses a large debt and picks up a small debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal for primary residence [ 9 Answers ]

I borrowed money from my 401k to purchase my primary residence (88,000.00 to be exact) Now I got a letter stating that I owe the IRS 28,000.00 in taxes. I asked the 401k advisor at my job, before borrowing, if I would be taxed. He said no. He said because I was using money to purchase primary...

Primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago, I purchased a home in Missouri after the bank foreclosed on my mother's home. She lives with me now at the new house. I have recently decided to move and possibly get married. I would like my mother to be able to continue living at the house if possible. I don't believe that...

401k primary residence loan [ 15 Answers ]

I took out a loan from my 401k for primary residence purchase and deal fell through. What can I do with the money now other than paying it all back to pay off the loan.(and lock that money up for 12 months) Can I use it for other purposes? Can I use part of it to pay back another 401k non-prin....

Fl law on protection from a court judgment agaist your primary residence [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Someone is trying to garnish a small court judgment against my husband and myself. We aren't working right now. So we have no income at the moment.our house is on a living trust fund(we are the trusties, not the beneficiaries of the trust) and we live in fl. Is our house exempt under the...

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

View more questions Search