Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helen001 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 11:21 AM
    How to get out the metal thing dropped into bathtub drain ?
    Hello,

My 11 months old son accidentally dropped a round metal thing into the bathtub drain hole. How can I get the thing out of drain pipe ?

Any kind answer will be highly appreciated,

Helen
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Most of the drain assembly is non-magnetic so try a small magnet on a string, if the object is magnetic. You could also clean out your shop vac and try sucking the object into the vac tank.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helen001
    Hello,

My 11 months old son accidently dropped a round metal thing into the bathtub drain hole. How can I get the thing out of drain pipe ?

Any kind answer will be highly appreciated,

Helen
    How small a "round thing"? If it was s mall enough it might just have gone passed into the main drain. Regards, Tom

Feb 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    How small a "round thing"? If it was s mall enough it might just have gone passed into the main drain. Regards, Tom
    Hi, Tom,

Thanks a lot for you answer. The round thing is 1 inch diameter "sink stopper" we took out from the sink in bathroom. Will it be staying somewhere in the bathtub pipe ?

Thanks again,

Helen

Feb 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Most of the drain assembly is non-magnetic so try a small magnet on a string, if the object is magnetic. You could also clean out your shop vac and try sucking the object into the vac tank.

Thanks a lot for you kind answer. We might find a place to buy a megnet and try.

Helen

Feb 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Try the vacuum cleaner first since this object is so large. I am surprised it made it past the crossed spines down in the drain about an inch or so. Maybe your drain is different from what I picture. If you have not run water down the tub it should be right near where it fell in.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2008, 12:39 PM
    I don't think a magnet will do much to attract a plastic lavatory stopper unless it's a older type metal one. DO NOT run any water down the drain. Try Bals vacume cleaner or shop vac first but if that don'twork then look for a access panel located behind the tub drain, open it up and remove the "J" bend from the trap. The stopper probably won't be in there but it will let you get to the brass tee that the tub shoe and drain connect to. This is where I believe you'll find your stopper. At the horizontal branch of the tee. The stopper's too large to getpast the bend into the vertical line to the trap. If there4 is no access panel behind the tub drain you will have to make one. Good luck, Tom

Feb 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
    When I read the first post the item was metal but it has turned into a sink stopper? Could still be metal but more likely rubber or neopreme. I'd still try to suck it out with a shop vac before I'd stasrt taking apart the drain, it couldn't have gone too far.

Feb 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    When I read the first post the item was metal but it has turned into a sink stopper?? Could still be metal but more likely rubber or neopreme. I'd still try to suck it out with a shop vac before I'd stasrt taking apart the drain, it couldn't have gone too far.
    Thanks for you guys. Yes, it is a metal stopper. Actually, we don't need the stopper to use anymore, but just don't want it block the bathtub drain. Maybe I won't open the pipe, and rather try megnet.

Feb 22, 2008, 02:00 PM
    The stopper may be metal but it might not be magnetic, probably aluminium or pot metal. If you own a shop vac I'd try that first but Toms description of the piping was right on the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropped wrench down toilet drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am remodeling by entire bathroom. After I took the toilet out, I was trying to break off a bolf that had been stripped. The wax from the toilet made the wrench slip and it fell down the drain. I can't see it. Tried using heavy duty magnets but no luck. Help!!

Dropped Diamond earring down the drain! [ 13 Answers ]

PLease help! I just dropped my earring down the drain. The water wasn't running, it just dropped. Can I assume it's possibly still sitting in the pipe? My husband isn't answering his office phone and I am frantic. Please help me!

Replacing old metal shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can replace an old galvanized metal shower drain or where to get metal shower drains (everything is PVC these days). I am replacing the tile in my stand up shower, but I need to raise the drain about .5” to accommodate the new tile. The drain pipe is a 1.5” metal pipe...

Dropped screwdriver down toilet drain [ 1 Answers ]

After removing the toilet to install ceramic tile, I dropped a screwdriver down the open drain. I used the magnet from an old hard drive tied to string but it won't go beyond an elbow in the pipe. My husband is convinced that we should just re-install the toilet and deal with it if we have an...

Dropped diamond earring down the drain! [ 7 Answers ]

Help! My diamond earring fell down the drain while I was in the shower. The water was obviously running. Wasn't in the shower long, so I'm hoping it hasn't been washed past the trap. Is there any way to get it back?

View more questions Search