Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jj2go Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Being a nurse after felony
    I can not believe that I was denied a job as a nurse in a nursing home because of a felony. They can hire a nurse who by the way had been accused of stealing drugs, she just can not pass out the narcotics now, but can not hire me. I mean, where am I going to work? I have 2 children to take care of.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Once you are convicted of a felony it's hard to be a nurse. You might want to contact your state nursing licensing agency and discuss with them the particular felony you have and check with them what kinds of jobs you are able to have at this point with your record. If they tell you there are no nurses positions available that would be willing to hire you such as a nurses aide, RN, or whatever you will have no choice but to find another profession. Ask them about being a nurse in a doctor's office doing paperwork or taking vitals and assisting the doctor. You could also look into medical transcription work or medical coding work as well.
    jj2go Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Right, how did someone with background of narcotic abuse and she was stealing the controlled substances from the patients from the long term care facility,still be able to work but can not pass out the narcotics. I did nothing to this regard and I can not even get hired. My charges were not because of drugs or alcohol, or abuse or neglect, and it did not disregard any nursing conduct. Just because it says felony. I got charged because of the Patriot Act. Under the category for example, No one can use someone else's address if you are not physical living there, or if someone gives you their information and promission to use it to obtain a credit card, it is illegal. Even with the persons permission!! If your parent is ill, you can not even pay a bill with their account, their bill, without a power of attorney, or it is a felony!! One of things happened to me. It is ridiculous what is happening to good people, We have to do something our government is getting too much control.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Hello jj:

Don't worry about somebody else who DOES get hired when they shouldn't. Worry about YOU.

Ok, you didn't get ONE job. As a felon, you're going to have to work a little harder finding work. Ok, then that's what you'll have to do. Where a citizen might have to go on 5 interview to get hired, you might have to go on 20.

Ok. Let's go. Time's a wasting.

excon
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Jj, excon's advice is right, I might add that you might want to look in one of the poor rural areas of the U.S. (if that's where you live) Appalachia come to mind, lot's of poor sick people in these areas and nurses are in demand. Good luck
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:38 AM
    You ask about why the nurse who was caught stealing patient's drugs was allowed to remain in her position, just not pass meds. I do not know that particular nurse or her work history but her employer does. I once worked with an ICU nurse who stole morphine and opium from the medicine room. She was given two choices - go to rehab and clean up or lose her license. She went to rehab. Came back to her job and continued as an R.N. just lost her privilege to pass meds - she could not even hand out a tylenol. Some people were really upset to see her back at work. She had been with the hospital for almost 15 years. She had value to the hospital. She made a huge mistake, paid for it, was clean after, and deserved a second chance. The hospital never did press charges, which made a big difference.

I feel bad that this all happened to you. Not sure if there is more to what you said or not. But one interview and you did not get the job. Try again and again. Broaden your job perspectives. Explain to a potential employer what happened to you, should they ask.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jj2go
    Right, how did someone with background of narcotic abuse and she was stealing the controlled substances from the patients from the long term care facility,still be able to work but can not pass out the narcotics. I did nothing to this regard and I can not even get hired. My charges were not because of drugs or alcohol, or abuse or neglect, and it did not disregard any nursing conduct. Just because it says felony. I got charged because of the Patriot Act. Under the category for example, No one can use someone elses address if you are not physical living there, or if someone gives you their information and promission to use it to obtain a credit card, it is illegal. Even with the persons permission!!! If your parent is ill, you can not even pay a bill with their account, their bill, without a power of attorney, or it is a felony!!!! One of things happened to me. It is ridiculous what is happening to good people, We have to do something our government is getting to much control.

Why don't you ask her how she got hired - I certainly have no explanation.

And, yes, using someone else's address and or information and permission to obtain a credit card is fraud on the credit card company, pure and simple. And, no, you can't pay a bill with other people's money, no matter what the circumstances. Usually this isn't discovered until someone complains that money is missing but I don't know your circumstance. In general "good people" don't do this - they get their own credit card in their own name but, again, I don't know the circumstance.

Knowing you are a Licensed Nurse didn't your Attorney try to plead this down to something else?
    JUSTICE23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
    At the end of a long day of driving to a music festival from Florida to North Carolina, Anna and her friends stop over for a night at a friends’ house in Georgia. Already in bed asleep the police suddenly burst in demanding to search everyone’s things and their person. Thanks to the Patriot Act the police didn’t need probable cause, as the constitution states, but only a “reasonable belief” that they would find drugs. What Anna comes to find out is that the police pulled over one of the cars containing 3 girls, 2 of which were carrying drugs. After arresting 2 of the girls the 3rd one drives to the house where the others were already sleeping. The police followed her the whole way and once there proceeded to search for drugs. One of Anna’s friends throws his drug into her purse where it is found by the police. She gets arrested and charged with a felony. Thousands of dollars and days later she is released on bail. Little did she know just how severe of an impact the Patriot Act would pose on her life. She is now a nurse and nurses have a really hard time finding work with a felony on their record.
    The Patriot Act unconstitutionally amends the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure to allow the government to conduct searches without notifying the subjects. Notice is a crucial check on the government's power because it forces the authorities to operate in the open, and allows the subject of searches to protect their Fourth Amendment rights. When the searching officers have complete and unsupervised discretion over a search, a property owner cannot defend his or her rights. The Patriot Act is officially meant to safeguard America from future terrorist attacks but, in actuality, it is a cover for ulterior motives and an unnecessary violation of civil liberties. The Patriot Act is in violation of the constitution and our civil liberties. Educate yourselves on it and on the Project for a New American Century (PNAC).
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTICE23
    At the end of a long day of driving to a music festival from Florida to North Carolina, Anna and her friends stop over for a night at a friends’ house in Georgia. Already in bed asleep the police suddenly burst in demanding to search everyone’s things and their person. Thanks to the Patriot Act the police didn’t need probable cause, as the constitution states, but only a “reasonable belief” that they would find drugs. What Anna comes to find out is that the police pulled over one of the cars containing 3 girls, 2 of which were carrying drugs. After arresting 2 of the girls the 3rd one drives to the house where the others were already sleeping. The police followed her the whole way and once there proceeded to search for drugs. One of Anna’s friends throws his drug into her purse where it is found by the police. She gets arrested and charged with a felony. Thousands of dollars and days later she is released on bail. Little did she know just how severe of an impact the Patriot Act would pose on her life. She is now a nurse and nurses have a really hard time finding work with a felony on their record.
    The Patriot Act unconstitutionally amends the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure to allow the government to conduct searches without notifying the subjects. Notice is a crucial check on the government's power because it forces the authorities to operate in the open, and allows the subject of searches to protect their Fourth Amendment rights. when the searching officers have complete and unsupervised discretion over a search, a property owner cannot defend his or her rights. The Patriot Act is officially meant to safeguard America from future terrorist attacks but, in actuality, it is a cover for ulterior motives and an unnecessary violation of civil liberties. The Patriot Act is in violation of the constitution and our civil liberties. Educate yourselves on it and on the Project for a New American Century (PNAC).

Speaking of motives - what is yours? You've opened up a 7 month old thread to post this - ?

I have no problems with the project for a New American Century Group. Freedom of Speech and all of that.

I DO have a problem when you come on multiple message boards with the same post, supposedly quoting a case.

So - what is your agenda?
    JUSTICE23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Speaking of motives - what is yours? You've opened up a 7 month old thread to post this - ?

I have no problems with the project for a New American Century Group. Freedom of Speech and all of that.

I DO have a problem when you come on multiple message boards with the same post, supposedly quoting a case.

So - what is your agenda?
    I'm a senior in college studying international relations and I'm doing a research paper on the Patriot Act. Upon my research I found this blog in which I saw another life affected by the new legislation as my friend was. What agenda do I have? Education, Justice and Peace are my agenda's. Also, sustainability, equality and balance. What's your agenda? Why do you sound angry? I haven't been on multiple message boards. Why are you falsely accusing me? Whether we like it or not politics affect our everyday lives. These new surveillance powers warranted through the Patriot Act violate our constitutional rights by not guaranteeing our right to legal representation and to appear before a judge, probable cause is replaced by reasonably believe where authorities do not need to get a warrant, our associational rights are violated where we are at risk for being put on a terrorist list if we're active in anti-war demonstrations. The list goes on and on. The Project for a New American Century (PNAC) is a neo-conservative, right wing organization with ultimately the goal of American dominance by any means necessary. It is a radical ideology that is widely denounced by people in the know but unfortunately there are many PNAC members in the Bush Administration. {http://www.newamericancentury.org/}PNAC promotes securing American military global domination “to protect American business interests and principles.” In September 2000, it produced a 90-page blueprint for constructing the ultimate, unchallengeable U.S. war machine. Entitled "Rebuilding America's Force." It's a pretty radical and dangerous approach to international relations. Although the Bush reign is almost over McCain played a major role as president of the {HYPERLINK "http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=New_Citizenship_Project} New Citizen Project, founded in 1994, which served as a chief fund-raising and parent organization to PNAC. I would say this is very important information that will hopefully spread throughout this great American society. I am all about freedom of speech, all about freedom in general. Freedom cannot be found in a police state! Don't let yourselves be brain washed by this "War on Terror", watch 1984 and Animal Farm. George Orwell was on to something. ;-) Free your mind! Love thy neighbor. BLESS
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTICE23 View Post
    I'm a senior in college studying international relations and I'm doing a research paper on the Patriot Act. Upon my research I found this blog in which I saw another life affected by the new legislation as my friend was. What agenda do I have? Education, Justice and Peace are my agenda's. Also, sustainability, equality and balance. What's your agenda? Why do you sound angry? I haven't been on multiple message boards. Why are you falsely accusing me? Whether we like it or not politics affect our everyday lives. These new surveillance powers warranted through the Patriot Act violate our constitutional rights by not guaranteeing our right to legal representation and to appear before a judge, probable cause is replaced by reasonably believe where authorities do not need to get a warrant, our associational rights are violated where we are at risk for being put on a terrorist list if we're active in anti-war demonstrations. The list goes on and on. The Project for a New American Century (PNAC) is a neo-conservative, right wing organization with ultimately the goal of American dominance by any means necessary. It is a radical ideology that is widely denounced by people in the know but unfortunately there are many PNAC members in the Bush Administration. {http://www.newamericancentury.org/}PNAC promotes securing American military global domination “to protect American business interests and principles.” In September 2000, it produced a 90-page blueprint for constructing the ultimate, unchallengeable U.S. war machine. Entitled "Rebuilding America's Force." It's a pretty radical and dangerous approach to international relations. Although the Bush reign is almost over McCain played a major role as president of the {HYPERLINK "http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=New_Citizenship_Project} New Citizen Project, founded in 1994, which served as a chief fund-raising and parent organization to PNAC. I would say this is very important information that will hopefully spread throughout this great American society. I am all about freedom of speech, all about freedom in general. Freedom cannot be found in a police state! Don't let yourselves be brain washed by this "War on Terror", watch 1984 and Animal Farm. George Orwell was on to something. ;-) Free your mind! Love thy neighbor. BLESS

Here's the problem - this isn't a blog - it's a board for people looking for answers to questions about criminal law.

My interest is not reopening old posts when there are so many new posts and keeping this site free from bloggers and on target.

I don't see that either of your postings helped the OP with her legal problem.

Perhaps a moderator will be able to move your two posts to a discussion site here instead of leaving them in the advice section - then you can be all about freedom of speech and freedom in general and other people will want to respond with their thoughts.
    Nursegirl66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 04:18 AM
    Comment on jj2go's post
    Well, that nurse is probably under contract with a Peer Assistance organization, that monitors her rigorously & makes her adhere to an insane contract; the bottom line is, that nurse is clean & sober, and can probably show you her most recent lab res

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

3 mo old still trying to nurse [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from the pound. I don’t know if he was orphaned, or how long he spent with his mom (but he did have brothers at the pound). He tries to nurse on me (my arm, neck, back), and he tries to nurse from a really...

The nurse keeps lying to me [ 16 Answers ]

I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum for this question, so I'm sorry if it isn't. One month ago I went to a free clinic for the uninsured (in the USA). The nurse felt my breast lump and told me that she didn't think it was cancer, but then said "if it is, it's advanced because your...

An ob nurse [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have a questuin I want to be an ob nurse watching csections and stuff doesn't really bother me but I was wonfering do you have to actually preform any part of the csection or do you just hand the doc whatever they need? And this might sound weird but I seen a lot of c section videos...

Negligent Nurse [ 2 Answers ]

I recently called my physician's office and asked that my prescriptions be renewed. My phsycian's nurse called my pharmacy and renewed my medications for three months. My pharmacy emailed me and I picked up a month's supply of my medications. Two days after I had picked up my meds I was in the...

View more questions Search