Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonoma1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 03:13 PM
    Hot Water problem in shower
    This one has me stumped...
    Our house is only 3 years old, and so far we've not any plumbing problems.
    Today I noticed that the shower in our spare washroom (very rarely used) was not working properly. When you turn on the cold water its OK, but as you turn the knob to the hot the water pressure starts decreasing. When the knob is turned to 'full hot' there is no water coming from the faucet. So it looks like only the water from the cold pipe is working. I tested the washroom sink, and the hot water seems to be flowing fine. What could be causing this?
    Thank you in advance..
    JaiJaiW Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 03:21 PM
    I'm by far a pro but I would guess it could be the "scald control". We just installed a new faucet with the control. If it is set too low, you will get very little hot water. With ours you just take the handle off and change the setting.

Jaimie
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 11, 2006, 04:09 PM
    The previous poster has a good point in checking the scald setting. The problem may also be from the fact that it is "very rarely used". My friend had the same problem-house about four years old-on a rarely use shower valve. Even though they have city soft water, the valve just seemed to clog up and wouldn't flow hot water. He had tried various cleaners and nothing worked & had to replace the valve unit. Maybe Speedball has some good insight to this problem :)
    sonoma1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll check the scad setting. We've never changed d any settings and it use to work fine before, so I'm somewhat doubtful it's that. But can't hurt to check.
    How big of a project is it to replace the valve unit?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2006, 04:20 PM
    Jamie gave you a excellent answer. However in case you haven't got a anti-skald feature on your valve let me give you another option.
    Water heaters build up minerals in the bottom of the tank. If the heater isn't flushed out on a regular basis,( more about that later) then the mineral can build up and get out into the system. Once out in the system it gets sucked up into the first fixture making a hot water draw blocking the hot water inlet ports in the valves cartridge. To remedy this shut the water off to the valve and check the cartridge for trash in the ports. Before you reassemble the valve turn on the supplies and flush them out. Now back to your heater.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear.
    Good luck, Tom
    ckrechel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2012, 08:57 AM
    Housei35 yrs old. When you turn hot water in shower it starts, then a few minutes later it shuts down to a trickle. Water heater is just 2 year old. Rest o house gets hot water. Husband changed the washer, but it still does the same thing. Starts fine & then down to trickle of water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

Problem with hot water in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have Pegasus Tub & Shower Faucet, series 1000, SKU# 813-921 (bought in Home Depot about 2 years ago). Recently the hot water stops running from the shower. The hot water in sink runs good, but not in shower. Cold water is running fine. I shut the water, and removed valve. Water is dripping from...

View more questions Search