Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzgeden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Leaking washing machine water supply shut off valve
    How do you repair a water supply valve that is leaking. It is the valve that connects the water supply to my washing machine. The leak occurs when I shift the lever from off to on and vice versa.
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2008, 02:14 PM
    You need to tighten the nut.

See this picture

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Knucklez has given you a picture of one type of valve but there are many types, usually washing machine valves are plastic knobs either 1/4 turn or several turns to close. Is there a nut under your knob or can you post a pic like Knucklez did.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Knucklez:
    I don't agree 100% with your answer.

My answer:
    1) Remove the handle by removing the first nut.
    2) Tighten the packing nut underneath
    3) Put the handle back on.
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Hmmm... could be.

My plumber that came and installed a valve just like this on my mains and he was the one who gave me this advice. Says he does this on ALL of this type of valve even brand new out of the box because they have high probably to leak. I then watched him do exactly that.

Oh well.. can't believe everything you hear/see eh?
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
    I agree, I talked to a mfr's rep about the leaking and he said the problem was unknown to him. They all seem to need tightening.

It's probably a good thing to sweat the valve with the packing nut backed out.

I would like any comments about sweating. Are the following statements true.

1) Loosen packing nut before sweating
    2) Remove handle before sweating.
    3) Remove drain cap, if equipped.
    4) Sweat ball valves when closed and sweat seat type valves when open
    5) Let valve cool before re-tightening packing nut.
    suzgeden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 02:35 PM
    The valve looks like a screw vs. a nut. I also think there is a rubber washer underneath the screw. The other problem is all of this is incased in a plastic housing so I can't fit a normal screwdriver above it to try and tighten the screw... do I have to detach the entire thing?

Below is a picture of the type of valve I have.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:22 PM
    You can probably get away with using an offset screwdriver.

Craftsman Offset Ratchet Screwdriver Set - Model 4116 at Sears.com

Under the screw you will likely find a nut that could be tightened with a box wrench or deep socket.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 03:48 PM
    I have never seen a valve like this but it appears to have a brass nut on each end facing out. I suspect that you can access the seals by removing those two nuts but again never worked on this valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Pvc inline water supply shut-off valve replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2" (one and one half inch) pvc water supply line that leaks at an inline shut-off valve (1/4 turn type, I assume). I realize I need to shut off the supply upstream to change it out. The valve is in between 2 elbows, about 3' (three feet) apart, so there is 'room to work' to remove the...

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I shut off water supply to leaking hot water tank?

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search