Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skip97 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Removing stuck bathtub spout
    I am trying to remove a bathtub fill spout that has a pipe thread near the water outlet. With a mirror I can see the end of what looks like a copper male threaded fitting. It looks like it has plenty of calcium/mineral buildup. I am hesitant to apply too much force with a lever since the fittings are sandwiched in a wall with a shower on the other side thus I don't want to induce any leaks. I have tried spraying some WD-40 up the spout with no success in loosening it. Any other chemicals or tricks I can try?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
    NOPE.. sorry. You just have to go for it. If you are a righty.. then grasp tub spout in left hand and hold against yourself as you use a large pair of pliers or a wrench and just go for it (twist spout counterclockwise). If a lefty, then reverse hands ;)

I know it is a bit scary.. especially as you note shower on other side... but that is the trick.. go for it.. Can make a snap sound... but see copper to brass does not rust.. so it is just in there tight.

Be careful here though... if you feel that fitting is twisting.. not coming undone then stop, for sure. Then you have a choice to make.

If does break off.. it shouldn't... but if it does I am sure we can walk you through worst case and help to fix it. I wish I had better news.

In 26 years... I have only had 2 break off behind wall.. and I have removed hundreds. Each time.. I had to take a deep breath before I did it. Mostly works fine.

Good luck. If my answer helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on rate this answer at above right corner or on button below (if present on you system). Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

I have a front threaded tub spout that I need to replace since the diverter is old and is not working properly. I've tried using a screwdriver in the spout end to twist off spout but I can't break it loose. It is the original tub spout ~ 9 years. Any ideas?

Problems Removing a Tub Spout [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently trying to remove the tub spout from my bath. I have the one with the screw underneath the spout. I think I may have stripped the screw please help with suggestions on how to remove the screw/spout without damaging the pipe. I am able to turn the spout around without any problems....

How do I remove an old bathtub spout? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace the bathtub spout with a new one available at hardware store. I tried unscrewing the old spout barehanded and it won't budge. Can I use a wrench (I don't care if the old spout is marred), or is there a danger of breaking the pipe in the wall. I do NOT have access to the...

Removing bathtub spout - no hole [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have read the Q/A's on the site, but can't find an answer to this one. First, I have a Delta faucet. It looks like Delta Faucet T13422-SOS on the www.deltafaucet.com website. (There are a few more that look like this, but it has the diverter plug on the spout.) The difference is that...

View more questions Search