Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pampers37 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Shower/Tub Hot water barely comes out
    Hello all!

I have a single knob that runs my tub and shower (off/on to cold/hot water)

The cold water comes out rapidly, but when I turn all the way to hot, the water gets very hot but it comes out 1/10th of the pressure. Hot water works all throughout the house.

I also realized my clothes washer has this problem - when I set the wash to HOT/COLD cycle, the hot water barely comes out.

The bathroom is about 10-15 years old.

I live in a townhouse - my laundry room has the water heater.. this room is next to my bathroom with the water problem.

I undid the faucet and saw 4 more screws and I limited sight of the pipes. And from there I was puzzled :confused: on what to even attempt.

Any and all help is apperciated! :)

Thank you!
    Pamps
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 08:51 PM
    In the water valve of he hot water, and also clod water, here is a screen that is there to catch trash so that it will not clog your water valve and keep it from shutting off as it should. As these screens get dirty they tend to reduce the water flow into the washing machine.
    Also on the tub and shower valve they have the same sort of filter and they also can clog and slow the water flow.

One thing that we find in these screens is a plastic that is coming from the dip tube in the water heater that carries the cold water to the bottom of the water heater. Some brands of these dip tubes deteriorate and crumble and wash out into the hot water lines and stop in these screens I mentioned.

Feb 12, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Thank you for the advice letmetellu. I am ignorant to this, so please be very specific on where I can and should be looking.. for the screens and such.
    tak777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
    The hot water at my sink suddenly began running slow. I cleaned the outlet screen.

Feb 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Tak and community. It ended up being my cartidge which had build up (lime deposits I think they are called). Bad thing nothing on the hardware is branded - so I have no idea where to get this cartridge. Only a part number on it... menards had nothing similar. Plumbing part store couldn't seem to find anything similar either.

Another thing I noticed was after I removed the cartidge, (the hot water side was blocked) I noticed a small stone in the pipe on the cold water side - I couldn't seem to pull it out with a needle nose. I don't think its cause that much "blockage" since the cold water runs fine... but just bothers me that it's there. Is there any tool to crush or sand down this stone so I can pull it out?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Hi Pampers... yes, a curved needlenose plier may help to reach in and wiggle free. Also wonder if you can post a pic. Of cartridge (using go advanced button at posting box).. plenty of experienced guys here might recognize it. Get back to us.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
    I noticed a small stone in the pipe on the cold water side - I couldn't seem to pull it out with a needle nose.
    While you had the valve body open did you turn on the cold water and attempt to flush the stone out? Get that stone out of the cold water supply. That's a problem waiting to happen.
    it ended up being my cartidge which had build up (lime deposits I think they are called).
    You should be able to clean out the hot water inlet ports on the cartridge so it can be reused. However, if you don't start paying attention to your water heater this will just happen again. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Feb 23, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Here are a few pictures from my tub. Thanks again for everyone's help!
    Attached Images

Feb 23, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Here are a few more of the cartridge itself. As you can see in the 3rd picture there is blockage of minerals and such. I am unable to get to the deposits and clean it out. I tried shaking, knocking it... etc. and no luck. Any other alternatives to cleaning this?

Any help to what type of cartridge or manufacturer this could be so I could buy a replacement?
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Hey Pampers... I think that is a Kohler shower valve. Need to call around to plumbing supply houses in your area and see who the authorized kohler distributer in your area is... Then take that cartridge over to them and see what they can find. Let some of the other guys chime in as well on this one, but looks like a 10-15 year old kohler valve, too me. Let us know. Thank you.

If this helps, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

And still can't get that.. what looks to be a piece of plastic... out of that cartridge... huh? Something in the cartridge itself has failed. Great pics.! Keep us posted.
    Katie48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
    I hard a plumber come out to repair the stem on the hot water ide of my tub. It all the sudden started running really slow so I took the stem off and replaced it myself just to find out he had left to old sterm screw in the pipe. However, since them my hot water side is still running really really slow. What can I do it worked fine until then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure at the shower/tub [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I have a serious problem in one of my bathrooms. The cold water pressure of the shower/tub is fine. But when I turned the knob towards the hot, the pressure drops all of a sudden, too low to take a hot shower. The sink 3 feet away has both excellent hot and cold water pressure. I suspect...

Slow shower/tub hot water [ 5 Answers ]

Let me say first off, this BBS is great! The questions are very typical, and the answers are polite and helpful. On to my problem. The hot water pressure/flow at our tub/shower is lower than I think it ought to be. It started as almost a trickle, and is now better (thanks to this BBS), but is...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

No Hot Water in shower/tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. The townhome unit we purchased is 6 years old; it has two full bathrooms. We just moved in yesterday. We have an electrical water heater to heat the water for the kitchen and the two full baths. The problem is in one of the bathrooms: we are able to get hot water from the sink faucet,...

Limited hot water to tub/shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am ble to take an "OK" shower but when I want to take a bath I can hardly get enough hot wter to take a bath. Is there a way that I can flush out the pipes from hot wter heater to the shower? I have old iron pipes.

View more questions Search