Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MIRMosc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Cant renew IP says media disconnected
    I have a wireless network in my home and use it with my laptop computer. My desktop is connected to the router and the modem and works fine. My laptop is able to pick up the network and shows excellent connectivity but can't connect to the internet. When I try to repair the connection it says unable to renew IP address. When I go to the command prompt and try to do it manually it says
    An error occurred... no operation can be performed on a local area connection while it has its media disconnected.

I know someone changed the network key but I think I changed it back and it still gives me this message. Is there anyway I can find the network key on my desktop computer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    bdubrow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Is your laptop getting an IP address? You can enter IPCONFIG /ALL at a command prompt to check. Is the laptop setup for DHCP? You could get to the GUI of the router to check your setting on the wireless side. From the browser on the desktop enter http://<ip address of router> and you will be presented with a login prompt. Try disabling WEP to see if you can get connected with out it turn on. If you can, you may have a WEP key mismatch.

May 2, 2007, 09:22 PM
    I am getting an IP address on my laptop. And the Laptop is set up for DHCP. I am sorry but I didn't understand about the gui of the router... how would I disable WEP?
    Hurricane09 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 09:15 PM
    What is the IP you are getting? Sometimes windows will default to a garbage IP - I think its 209.x.x.x or something. If you aren't getting a 192.x.x.x or whatever your DHCP server is set to push out then it could be something else.

May 7, 2007, 12:36 PM
    No it is a 192.168.0.2

Any other ideas?
    bdubrow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I think you are not getting an IP address because you are not getting authenticated to your router and that may be due to the WEP keys. Have you tried to use the browser on your desktop to get to the setup screen of your router. Browse to the Default Gateway on the desktop. You can see the Default Gateway by entering IPCONFIG /ALL at the command prompt. Once presented with a logon prompt try using;
    userid = admin
    password = nothing or password or the make of your router.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

May 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
    What kind of router?
    Ipconfig/all - note the default gateway addr. If you enter this addr in a browser, you surf into the wireless router's GUI interface. Although, not recommended, under Wireless Security you can disable the Encryption (WEP) key

P2E.
    Genghis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubrow
    Is your laptop getting an IP address? You can enter IPCONFIG /ALL at a command prompt to check. Is the laptop setup for DHCP? You could get to the GUI of the router to check your setting on the wireless side. From the browser on the desktop enter http://<ip address of router> and you will be presented with a login prompt. Try disabling WEP to see if you can get connected with out it turn on. If you can, you may have a WEP key mismatch.

E-mail me at [email protected] if someone has the solution to my problem, please.

I have already set up my Administrator username and password, but each time I type ipconfig/release or anything else, it says "Media Disconnected". What must/can I do to fix this problem? Please help.
    IsmirT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 04:39 AM
    What if DHCP is on the router, what then?
    Genghis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IsmirT
    What if DHCP is on the router, what then?

GHENGHIS:

What is the DHCP and what does it mean if this on the router? What must I do with this iin order to make it work?
    ebr Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 12:20 PM
    I am having the same problem.. 4 year old laptop hp pavilion ze4400. Was working with an internet connection (wireless and cable) now can't get any internet connectivity. The ip address is junk, I think 169.. and media is disconnected so I can't do much. Now I am trying to do system restore to a date when I think things were working. We shall see.

Mar 9, 2008, 02:09 PM
    I am having the same problem with a HP pavilion ze4400 laptop that can't get any access to cable or wireless even though the connection to the wireless is strong. The ip address may be an issue since it starts with 169 and it says media disconnected. Also, none of the fixes that have been recommended work.

All other computers are working with both wireless and cable connections. The message I am getting is that there is a problem with ip address. I tried hard coding an ip address and dns (which is now blank) but that didn't work either.

The computer is four years old but worked recently... not sure what was done to limit its access.

How does one connect the media that is now disconnected?
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Mar 17, 2008, 12:54 PM
    This error happens when your WEP or WPA key DOES NOT MATCH the one on the router. You MUST make sure they are the same. If you are unsure then I recommend removing the key from the router and putting a new one on that you DO know then setting up that one on your workstation.

Mar 17, 2008, 01:39 PM
    I can't get access to the internet even when I plug directly into the cable modem (without going through the router).

How do you find out the correct ip address.. I can try to put it in manually (but then I may still have "media disconnected" problem.
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Mar 17, 2008, 01:45 PM
    If you plug directly into the cable modem then power the cable modem off (unplug the power) for 10 seconds, then power it back on can you get an IP address and connect to the internet?

Mar 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
    I can try... but we do have two other computers which are connected and not having any problems. Plus another one that is connected as a wireless.

Mar 17, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Someone recommended winsock fix... I am copying to a flashdrive and will try it this evening.

Mar 18, 2008, 12:42 PM
    HELP! I installed winsock fx and then hard coded the ip address and GOT internet access connection but still can't access the internet! Both wireless and wired show a connection with packets rec'd etc. All other computers are fine so it isn't the modem or router...

Any ideas??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Media State. :media disconnected [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My computer won't connect to the internet it says that a newtwork cable is unplugged although the internet works perfectly well. I tried cmd config /renew and it says the same thing. Does anyone know why my computer won't connect to the internet?

Media state disconnected [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problems connecting to the internet. And when I went to the command prompt --ipconfig The wireless network connections states "media state... media disconnected What does that mean? And how do I reconnect?:confused:

Media state disconnected [ 5 Answers ]

In ip config, cmd, it says that the media state is disconnected. I've tried typing in ipconfig /renew, and that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm new at this, and would like some help. What do I do to enable the media so that is connected. Thank you.

Media State... Media Disconnected [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have two different internet connections. One, my roommates and I pay for to run torrents, online games, etc. The other is my complex's internet connection which sucks at anything but is used when roommates are sleeping and they are using torrents. My roommate tends to download...

Media disconnected [ 2 Answers ]

I tried ipconfig ipconfig/renew but nothing shows

View more questions Search