Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GE1223 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Compressor will not start
    Troubleshooting a carrier air handler heat pump system . Outdoor unit is a goodman. No voltage between common and red outside as well as inside air handler Standing refrigerant pressure reading 75psi R-22. Control board keep blowing . Indoor blower runs as well as electric strip heat. Why do the fuses keep blowing and the outdoor unit not starting. Is this a sighn of a bad control board. No wires are grounded that could blow the fuse I checked thourghly. Ihave also unhooked all the wires from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit as well as the t-stat wires. Replaced the 5amp fuse and check my voltage on the low side of transformer but get no reading between between red and common off the board itself
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Check to make sure a low voltage wire has not grounded on a refrigerant line inside the heat pump. Low pressure switch wires or defrost thermostat wires.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:23 PM
    All was not checked or you would have found the ground. Sorry if I said something wrong. Just trying to help and it was free advice.

Feb 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
    I still have not heard what others may think the problem is It is not a grounded wire Ihave checked that.ge1223
    eagark Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Have you tried to force run the condenser by manually depressing the contactor? I wondered if it ran at all when you described the problems. Also, you should have 24v between red and common on the board with no wires connected and powered up. If not, then the transformer, fuse, or board are suspect.

Feb 10, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Yes I did try the compressor by pushing in the contactor it was fine it would have started should there have been low voltage to pull in the contactor. And I know the transformer is good due to the blower operating, I did replce the fuse and check the voltage strait off the board with the t-stat wires unhooked but still had no power. Itried this a couple of times the first time I unhooked the transformer from the board replaced the fuse and check power I had 28 volts. When Ihooked the transformer back on the board and turned power back on I check voltage between r and c off the board and had no power This makes me think my board is bad I just wanted a second opinion or see if others have experienced this.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GE1223
    Yes I did try the compressor by pushing in the contactor it was fine it would have started should there have been low voltage to pull in the contactor. and I know the transformer is good due to the blower operating, I did replce the fuse and check the voltage strait off the board with the t-stat wires unhooked but still had no power. Itried this a couple of times the first time I unhooked the transformer from the board replaced the fuse and check power I had 28 volts. when Ihooked the transformer back on the board and turned power back on I check voltage between r and c off the board and had no power This makes me think my board is bad I just wanted a second opinion or see if others have experienced this.
    Are you for real when you say you're a service tech?

Feb 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
    I am, what's your freaking problem! You're the one that seems to have developed an attitude just because you did not have the right sollution to the problem. And no i am not a seasoned veterian in this field like maybe others are, that's why ijoined this site to begin with. If i knew it all like you then i would not be on here i would be teaching a class somewhere

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac compressor [ 6 Answers ]

Fan on ac compressor will not stop running until turning off the braeker

A/C compressor trying to start but not working [ 3 Answers ]

I turned n my ac the fan works but compressor will not start

Cooling: blower runs but compressor does not start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump outside and a blower in the attic. Both made by YORK. My system stopped cooling a week ago. The blower keeps running but the heat pump does not start. I checked the circuit breaker in the basement and the power disconnect next to the outdoor unit. Both are good. I studied...

Central a/c compressor tries to start [ 1 Answers ]

The central a/c compressor tries to start . It will hum and click off do you think it is the capacitor? Someone said the starter on the side of the compreessor how do you change it?

Compressor [ 2 Answers ]

Hey we were out of town then came back and the ac breaker was tripped after turning on the fans run but the compressoe never kicks in we never had any problems with this unit before can some one give us some ideas were to start thanks:D

View more questions Search