Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9

Feb 9, 2008, 07:14 PM
    I got a subpoena , do I have to go
    Today I got a subpoena to court.
    It involves my neighbors who recently divorced.
    The husband wants his tools or something.

do i really have to go?
    I mean my testimony won't make or break the case.

I think its bull that the people in our neighborhood have to lose a days pay
    For other peoples problems.

Now the person that delivered the subpoena was not the sheriff,
    He worked for the attorney.
    He gave it to my neighbor to give to me
    Since I was not at home at the time.

is this even legal to do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
    A subpeona is command to appear.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Yes, in many states in civil cases there are private process services who serve subpeona, once they serve it, it is as legally served as if the judge hisself handed it to you.

You can of course call and find out if they are paying your expenses.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Yes and yes. If you do not appear you will be held in contempt of court and a warrant can be issued for your arrest. Generally, if you are a witness, you will receive a witness fee - not sure how much it is anymore. Used to be around $50.00. Whatever it is, or is not, you do have to appear, or face the legal consequences.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Yes and yes. If you do not appear you will be held in contempt of court and a warrant can be issued for your arrest. Generally, if you are a witness, you will receive a witness fee - not sure how much it is anymore. Used to be around $50.00. Whatever it is, or is not, you do have to appear, or face the legal consequences.

In my area it's $15 plus mileage - and, no, there's no choice but to appear and, yes, any adult can serve process.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
    hossbonnam writes: "he gave it to my neighbor to give to me since i was not at home at the time." What state? Service of the subpoena may be defective and not enforceable.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    hossbonnam writes: "he gave it to my neighbor to give to me since i was not at home at the time." What state? Service of the subpoena may be defective and not enforceable.

It's substitute service - I have no idea where the neighbor was at the time (you can't go door to door looking for a responsible adult) but this is legal in every State as far as I know. The neighbor had the option of not accepting it.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Hoss: don't know what state you are in and state law may apply. Most states have passed a similar law to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. "Rule 45 ... '(b) Service. (1) By Whom; Tendering Fees; Serving a Copy of Certain Subpoenas. Any person who is at least 18 years old and not a party may serve a subpoena. Serving a subpoena requires delivering a copy to the named person and, if the subpoena requires that person's attendance, tendering the fees for 1 day's attendance and the mileage allowed by law....(4) Proof of Service. Proving service, when necessary, requires filing with the issuing court a statement showing the date and manner of service and the names of the persons served. The statement must be certified by the server....(and)(e) Contempt. The issuing court may hold in contempt a person who, having been served, fails without adequate excuse to obey the subpoena."
    You may want to contact your attorney for advice as to the law in your jurisdiction.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Best now to contact a lawyer and ask them. I know I had been served before and it was improper. But either way you might contact the serving party and ask about a deposition rather then having to go to court and wait it out till your called. It really depends on what testimony the parties are looking for.

Feb 10, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Well the problem is I was served 72 hours before the court date.
    Served on a Saturday and now I have to contend with my employer
    On Monday and when I go in on Tuesday

Im sure they are going to make me put in the extra hours to make it up.

Its bull because I couldn't care less about some other persons domestic problems.

In my experience with lawywers in this area, it is highly
    Unlikely ill get anyone on the phone tomorrow in order
    To try and excuse myself from this crap.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 06:30 PM
    If it is in fact an actual subpoena then yes, you have to go and testify, regardless of how insignificant you believe your testimony to be. Otherwise a warrant could be issued for your arrest. Not necessarily suggesting that that'll be the case, especially if your testimony is as unimportant as you seem to believe but best not to take that chance.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hossbonnam
    well the problem is i was served 72 hours before the court date.
    served on a Saturday and now I have to contend with my employer
    on Monday and when i go in on Tuesday

Im sure they are going to make me put in the extra hours to make it up.

Its bull because i could care less about some other persons domestic problems.

In my experience with lawywers in this area, it is highly
    unlikely ill get anyone on the phone tomorrow in order
    to try and excuse myself from this crap.

It varies from Court to Court and Attorney to Attorney but I have never served a subpoena that didn't have a note on the bottom to call the Attorney before reporting to testify in the event the hearing has been cancelled or adjourned.

In my area if you call the Attorney sort of goes over things with you and decides whether your testimony is necessary. At the moment your knowledge (or lack of knowledge) is unknown.

Feb 11, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    It varies from Court to Court and Attorney to Attorney but I have never served a subpoena that didn't have a note on the bottom to call the Attorney before reporting to testify in the event the hearing has been cancelled or adjourned.

In my area if you call the Attorney sort of goes over things with you and decides whether or not your testimony is necessary. At the moment your knowledge (or lack of knowledge) is unknown.

It over now.
    I missed work, I went and complained when I saw the lawyer so he sent me home.

The court said they could pay me $9 pending all attorney fees and court costs are paid.
    And she concluded that that rarely happens.

Thank you all for your help.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 02:39 PM
    All that fuss for basically nothing? But you see, the attorney would not have known your input was not necessary. Someone put your name down - possibly the defendant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subpoena for someone else [ 2 Answers ]

Someone just handed me a subpoena for someone else who lives with me (my fiance). Can they do that? They told me to call him and tell him he has court on Monday when I told them he would not be back until Tuesday!! Do I have to track him down?? :eek:

Pro per subpoena [ 1 Answers ]

Can a pro per litigant in a family law case subpoena records for child support income purposes?

Subpoena in pro per? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a civil defendant acting In Pro Per issue a subpoena to produce documents? Rich

Rules for Subpoena [ 1 Answers ]

There is a debate in our office about subpoenas for Medical records. Can the medical records be charged for? (i.e. copying cost, labor time, etc... usually not to exceed 25.00) And secondly, does there have to be a release of medical records form signed or does the paperwork that the patient signs...

View more questions Search