Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GRACEKIM1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Toilet Connector Hose Leak
    Hello,

I just bought a Toto Washlet and am now having problems with the toilet connector hose leaking (forgive me if I'm using the wrong terms here, I'm a newbie to this) after I installed it. I've attached a photo. The leak is coming from the just above the metal part that's connected to the valve. Do I need to get a longer hose or something else more complicated?

Please help. Thanks so much.

-Grace
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 05:13 PM
    You did not put any teflon tape around the threads to the connection. Your photo did not show up on the question but I can figure out the problem in a heartbeat. Go to the store and get some white teflon tape (about $2 tops). Only wrap it around twice around the exposed threads. Then carefully put the connection together again and don't overtighten so you don't strip out the threads but have it tight enough to hold the connection properly.

TURN OFF THE WATER FIRST though before you do anything!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Twinkie:

Take a look at a compression fitting. Where is the sealing surface? It's between the ferrule and the fitting and the fitting and the ferrule. The threads are not part of the sealing surface, hence the Teflon tape may prevent a seal when used in this application.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Your picture does not show. There are two types of supply tubes, the thing you are calling toilet connector. One is a hard metal tubing with a chrome finish. You have to bend these to the shape you want. They make a water tight connection by compressing a brass ring around the tubing when tightening the nut. They must come straight out of the valve in order to seal. If you used the one from the old toilet you may have this type.

The other type is flexible and has a braided metal sheathing or a plastic coating around it. This type uses "o" rings to seal. This type almost never leaks.
    Suggest you use this type. Be sure to get one that fits a toilet, they are different from the ones that fit a faucet.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
    There are more than 2 types of supply tubes if you want to include PVC, CPVC, etc. Most do not require teflon tape to connect since compression fittings are the very most common.
    GRACEKIM1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Thanks for your help, twinkiedooter and hkstroud. I tried taking the plumber's tape off and handtightening with only one turn and the valve itself started to leak. So, I ended up having to replace the valve with a quarter turn valve and did not use plumber's tape. This seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your advice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

1992 Honda Accord LX 5MT Coupe Clutch Hose Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys! First time poster, I've been lurking for awhile. I love the advice txgreasemonkey gives to us! Here's my question for help! Please refer to this parts list: https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/images/hp_parts/13SM20.006.10.gif I have a 1992 Honda Accord LX 5MT Coupe with 231,000...

Toilet leak [ 4 Answers ]

My plumber has set our new toilet 3 times, but it still leaks around the floor. I marked the water level in the bowl, and overnight the level lowered and water was on the floor even though it had not been flushed. Is it a problem with the wax seal or the toilet? Thanks.

Faucet sprayer leak in hose [ 3 Answers ]

I'm new... I'm usually handy but I out of my league on this one. Does anyone know how to fix/replace the inner hose in the metal coil housing(? correct name)

Toilet supply/hose bib connection [ 1 Answers ]

I have two hopefully simple questions. First, where is a good location to connect the supply line for the toilets? I have a mid 60’s split-level and I replaced all the copper supply lines but have not yet connected the upstairs toilets. I heard/read somewhere that the line should be connected at...

View more questions Search