Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    osbormd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 08:22 AM
    How to tell if a seal is bad on dual-pane, vinyl windows?
    I know from washing windows last spring that I have at least 3 Vinyl Windows that have a bad seal, since they looked hazy or dirty, even after cleaning both sides very well.

I was dumb... I didn't tag the windows. I want to get them replaced, but I can't recall which windows are bad.

Is there a way to tell in the winter time (without cleaning test) which windows are bad? It's currently 20-40 degrees outside in my part of the country.

I figured a window with leaky seal might be slightly colder (when measured inside against glass) than others with good seal, or some other scientific approach?

Thank you !
    jmooooo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Having sold vinyl windows, simple, if you cannot wipe the water away, you have a busted seal. You should see dirt inside, or water deposits inside the glass that you cannot clean. Do you know the original mfg of the window? They are not universal. Also, in some if not most cases, they glass has a 10 if not 20 year seal failure warranty. If they are not that old, and you remember where you bought them from, you may be in luck.
    osbormd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
    The problem is that I don't see the haze or water in the Winter right now. I will check and see if there is dirt or deposit inside. I do know the original mfg, it's Simonton, they have a 10 year replacement on the entire window (not just glass), I'm told... So I'm in good shape since they are only 4-5 years old.

If I have a busted seal or leak, is there any sure fire test, if there is nothing visible in the Winter time? Ex. Something like temperature on the glass (inside house) is 50-deg on busted seal, and 60-deg on good seal?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmooooo
    Having sold vinyl windows, simple, if you cannot wipe the water away, you have a busted seal. You should see dirt inside, or water deposits inside the glass that you cannot clean. Do you know the original mfg of the window? They are not univeral. Also, in some if not most cases, they glass has a 10 if not 20 year seal failure warranty. If they are not that old, and you remember where you bought them from, you may be in luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 10:14 AM
    At 20 degress your bad seals should be showing. There should be condensation on the inside of the pane. If there is none then possibly the seals are not bad after all.
    hitsum65 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by osbormd
    I know from washing windows last spring that I have at least 3 Vinyl Windows that have a bad seal, since they looked hazy or dirty, even after cleaning both sides very well.

I was dumb...I didn't tag the windows. I want to get them replaced, but I can't recall which windows are bad.

Is there a way to tell in the winter time (without cleaning test) which windows are bad? It's currently 20-40 degrees outside in my part of the country.

I figured a window with leaky seal might be slightly colder (when measured inside against glass) than others with good seal, or some other scientific approach?

Thank you !
    Yes, where I live Simonton will replace the window. It would just be smarter to change just the sash. I have work with Simonton for 8 years.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 08:12 AM
    The sash seal can also be bad. This can cause condensation in the inside of the window.
    The frame of the window may not have been sealed properly.

Water spots between the windows would be an indication of a double pane seal break.

Compared to a similar sized window and either (non E-glass or same side of the house), there would probably be about a 30% difference in the temperature difference. This assumes air in the broken window and argon in the good window. You can only compare glass of the same size because the difference depends on cross-sectional area and length. Low E glass could skew the results between sunny and a warm side of the house.
    tweedg Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 05:02 AM
    If you look down at the aluminum spacer between the panes you should be able to see some white residue along the seal. This is the minerals that are left behind when the water evaporates. You will only see this on failed windows.
    WindowMedic Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Here's the easiest way to find moisture in your dual (triple) pane windows. Get a can of "dust remover" - pressurized canned air - used on computer keyboards, etc. Turned upside down it becomes a freeze spray. Shake the can, turn it upside down and spray one spot in the corner of the window for several seconds. Wait about 15 seconds then wipe the glass - keep wiping until you have removed all of the condensation from your side of the glass. If you have a condensation spot on the inside of the window, you have moisture that shouldn't be there. You can also use an ice cube - hold it in one spot for one minute.

If you have moisture in the window go to defogit.com to find a Window Medics dealer near you who can remove the moisture without removing the glass from the frame. No need to replace the glass or window and cheaper, too.

Chattanoogawindowmedics.com
    windowsrmylife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by osbormd View Post

I was dumb...I didn't tag the windows. I want to get them replaced, but I can't recall which windows are bad.

Thank you !

You may not have seal failure at all. It is more likely that you are just experiencing light reflection & refraction which will actually cast a reflection off the number 3 surface of glass back onto the number 2 surface giving the illusion that there is a haze. You have 4 reflective surfaces on dual pane glass, as both panes have two reflective surfaces each.

If you had seal failure it would most certainly show up either during the summer or the winter as moisture between the panes of glass.
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 21, 2009, 02:51 PM

If you are only in your 5th year and have a 10 year warranty, wait until the moisture shows itself again to be sure you have seal failure or try the ice cube (it's safe - read the warnings on the back of the canned air, it could be dangerous). And definitely call the manufacturer or dealer to get replacements at no cost to you. If you have double hung windows, request that they send new sashes so you can replace them yourself, again at no cost to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Mouse in Windows or OSX [ 6 Answers ]

Hi again, I use Maya on a PC and Photoshop on a PC and OSX as well as Propellerhead's Reason. In both of these programs you are often clicking one part of the screen, and then the other repeatedly... or you may want to scale something and move it simultaneously.. This would be easy if the...

Vinyl Double Hung Windows don't LOCK [ 1 Answers ]

All, So I just bought a condo, it has vinyl double hung windows. Bad part is that they don't lock. I push the top window as far as possible, and the lower one down as much as it can go, but I am still 1/2 inch off from the latch being able to lock. How can I correct this ? Is it expensive...

Double pane window single pane broken [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is about 20 years old. It was built with Gapco double pane windows. A couple of days ago something hit the outside of the double living room window and broke one the outside panes of glass. How do I go about getting the glass replaced? Thanks

Seal or don't seal new grout [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathrooms. Should I seal the grout? My contractor says no. What are the pros and cons of each decision?

Toilet Drain Leak - Bad Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

My home is 5 years old - first plumbing problem. Our first floor half-bath. I noticed a mold ring forming around the base of the toilet. It's coming from underneath the flooring. No smells/odor - yet. After reading other posts - I'm going to try to remove the toilet, inspect the seal /...

View more questions Search