Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdw546 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
    98 Camry Radiator Fans not working
    Hi there I have a 98 toyota Camry and I noticed last week that my antifreeze was going through very quickly then today I actually poped the hood while the car was running and noticed that the fans on the radiator are not working. What can I do? And What could it be?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Hold on a minute... you do know that these fans do not come on all the time. Temps need to be near 190-200* coolant temp... and you're not mentioning any overheating.
    What does the temp gauge say? 1/2 way? That's normal. How about when you turn you a/c on. They should come on automatically with each cycle of the compressor.
    I'm curious as to know what you meant by, "antifreeze going through very quickly"
    Is the reservoir bottle full of coolant or empty?
    kdw546 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    Hold on a minute.....you do know that these fans do not come on all the time. Temps need to be near 190-200* coolant temp......and you're not mentioning any overheating.
    What does the temp gauge say?? 1/2 way? That's normal. How about when you turn you a/c on. They should come on automatically with each cycle of the compressor.
    I'm curious as to know what you meant by, "antifreeze going through very quickly"
    Is the reservoir bottle full of coolant or empty?
    First let me say your tone in your first line was un-called for.

Yes it was starting to overheat and yes the reservoir bottle is what is running empty after about 30 minutes of in town driving & stoping.

And yes I know when they come on and off. I also now know what is wrong. The radiator split in half sometime within the last 6 days as I just had the car in the shop for some other stuff.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Ok, now we're on the same page. That is not a tone. That is a professional trying to touch base with his client. It is a need to know basis. Very important questions to help us to help you. For what it's worth, sorry.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    Ok, now we're on the same page. That is not a tone. That is a professional trying to touch base with his client. It is a need to know basis. Very important questions to help us to help you. For what it's worth, sorry.
    Yup!
    Help us help you.
    stratman3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 09:47 AM
    I see this is an old post but just in case someone else comes across with the same problem.Some toyotas have a coolant sensor NOT to be confused with the Temperature sensor. The coolant sensor is located on the radiator it selt, most likely on the bottom and close to the middle. Replace it and the fans should work as needed. Now a temporary fix, unplug the sensor, this will make the fans run only when the engine is running or the key is on the on position. Good luck
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2010, 03:04 PM

A very helpful post. Only unplug the sensor to get you to the parts store to buy a new coolant sensor (which I almost never see go bad)
    Enginewarrior Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
    "That is not a tone. That is a professional trying to touch base with his client. It is a need to know basis. Very important questions to help us to help you."

A true professional knows how to politely get to the point, without the need to be abrupt, curt or conceding. But I guess it's a skill that doesn't come naturally to some people. Just like any other skill, is one that needs to be learned and one doesn't learn anything by making excuses for the way they act.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 08:08 AM
    While every industry has it's own "need to know stuff," in here very few of us are "true professionals," compensated for the time we are in here to answer questions. Little time should be necessary to give us, "the answerers," the info we use to come up with sage advise.
    While I ask certain questions to glean what I feel I need... others ask different questions to get what info they feel they need.
    Kitch was very right to ask more accurate info of what the poster was actually asking. I've done the same. Take a look at my sticky - it's there to help us.
    So, I ask you, Enginewarrior, go easy on the staff here. Spend some time with us.. answer a few questions and we'll all get along nicely. :cool:
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2011, 05:11 PM
    Not everyday do I come home from working on cars that I'm in a great mood.
    This has got to be one of the toughest businesses in the industry. It's very hard work and the pressure is on everyday.
    But still, everyday I check in here to help someone out and maybe save them tons of time and money diagnosing.
    I could just say never mind and walk away from the computer, but I not going to.
    I'm a little thicker skinned than some It appears, so I'll do my best to work on that skill.
    Good post, Rich.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiator Fan Not Working [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Accord Wagon EX. The upper radiator hose busted this weekend and I noticed that with the temp pegged the radiator fans never turned on. Not sure if the lack of radiator fluid would contribute to this problem or not. How would I test if the fans are okay? Do they work off a...

89 Honda CRX 1.5L Testing Thermal Switch for Radiator Fans) [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1989 Honda CRX 1.5L that has two fans on the Radiator. The car seems to want to overheat and bubble out into the overflow bottle. I have replaced the cap and tested the fan motors. I noticed that the radiator seems to boil over before the fans ever kick on. I have been told that...

Radiator not working [ 6 Answers ]

One of my radiators is not working. The pipe up to the individual radiator thermostat is hot but the radiator only gets luke warm. I have had a plummer around he put a new thermostat on the radiator, charged me a frtune but its still not working. I can't afford to get him back. Any ideas?

Refrigerator Fans not working [ 2 Answers ]

Neither the condenser fan or the freezer evaporator fan is working. The fridge still cools, but not cold or freezing. Is there a switch or relay that controls both? This is a GE Model GTS18HCMDRWW.

Computer fans not working... [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older HP 9695C Pavilion. For a while now it has been rebooting itself on its own. I took the cover of the side and that seemed to help a bit. I'm not sure if it's related but if you move the computer around and then try to restart it nothing comes up on the screen. To fix that I would...

View more questions Search