Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    POLICE23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 08:20 AM
    What if I didn't file my taxes last year?
    If I didn't file my taxes last year and I get a return this year will the IRS just deduct what I owed from last year?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 01:31 PM
    No. You need to properly file for both years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Agreed. File 2006 first, then 2007.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 08:40 AM
    If what you had withheld from your wages last year wasn't sufficient to satisfy your tax obligation, then yes, they will.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 11:41 AM
    If you do NOT file, eventually the IRS will file FOR you, at the WORST possible filing status.

If you file the 2007 return before the 2006, the IRS will HOLD your refudn until the 2006 return IS filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1, OPT and H1 three status in one year. How should I file my taxes? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I know this has been asked several times but I still am not sure how to judge my situation. Background: Indian citizen filing single. Studied and worked on F1: Aug 23, 2003 to Jan 31, 2007. - Worked in MA

Did not file taxes last year [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do if I forgot to file my taxes last year? Can I file them with this years taxes?

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Can I file last years taxes this year [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Rhode Island but work in Massachusetts. I filed my Rhode Island income taxes last year but forgot to file my Massachusetts non resident. Can I send in my Massachusetts non-resident form from last year (2005) this year (2006)?

Relocating back to Europe ~ how to file taxes next year [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving back home to Austria in a few weeks and was wondering what the procedure is for me to file taxes next year (I was working until May 06). Can I do this from Europe? Is there any paperwork I need to fill out before I leave the country?

View more questions Search