Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jan 30, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Cordless Drill power options
    What is the difference between a 1/2" and 3/8" cordless power drill? Does one have more power than the other, or do they hold different size bits? Which tool would be better to have for average, around the house improvement projects? Not talking about major construction work here.

Also, what does difference in voltage make between a 12V and 18V tool?

Thanks!
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Jan 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
    3/8 is usually fine for around the house type projects, your right about the bit sizing-1/2" is for 1\2 in bits and 3\8 is for 3\8" bits. For the power part !2V is usually enough but if it was me I might be tempted to step up to the 18V for having more power for tougher jobs, the 12V seems to run out of power quicker and then with my luck my second battery usually isn't charged enough so I end up getting my electric drill with extension cord to finish the job.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kbuchholtz
    What is the difference between a 1/2" and 3/8" cordless power drill? Does one have more power than the other, or do they hold different size bits? Which tool would be better to have for average, around the house improvement projects? Not talking about major construction work here.

Also, what does difference in voltage make between a 12V and 18V tool?

Thanks!
    The 3/8" will hold a bit UP to the size of 3/8", the 1/2" will hold up to 1/2" diameter bits, or shafts. The difference in 12 v and 18v is you have half again as much voltage, which in turn equals more power. I would go with the 18v 1/2" model.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Mowerman is correct and If you want it to last a long time get one with lithium ion batteries. If you are just a weekend warroir who may use the drill once a month go with the cheaper ones you see at ACE for $20, consider this drill as a Bic disposable lighter.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
    The cordless drill is heavier than its corded cousin as it has to carry its power source in its body. Cordless drills are generally less powerful, too, though recent advancements in technology have closed that gap quite a bit. Cordless drill batteries have to be recharged, and after 3 or 4 years must be replaced, even if they've rarely been used. So why buy a cordless drill in the 1st place?
    For convenience, that's why. The best cordless drills are ready to use in a few quick snaps and can go anywhere. No getting tangle in cords! They are particularly handy for those little jobs inside and outside the house, and are great for driving screws.

For most households use a light, relatively low-powered drill is best, say 14/15 v. Why low-powered? More power means more voltage, which means a bigger, and therefore heavier, battery. It doesn't sound like much, but anything over 5 lbs. will get cumbersome fast for most people. As for heavy-duty jobs, well, that's part of the trade-off.

DeWALT cordless drills, Black and Decker cordless drills, Makita cordless drills, Panasonic cordless drills, Craftsman cordless drills, Coleman cordless drills and Bosch cordless drills are just some of the more popular models and makes.

*** ( I HAVE TWO 18 VOLT COLEMAN CORDLESS DRILLS -- THEY DO A GOOD JOB ) ***
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Turned down shank bits are more expensive. 1/2" will use bits up to 1/2" without a turned down shank. Larger bits need larger power. Higher voltage means higher power.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 09:08 PM
    I agree with Balengerb1 but system won't let me give him any reputation at the moment. Would like to just add that Harbor Freight periodically has 3/8, 18V cordless on sale for $16. They are D$#% good. Actually I prefer over the $110 Dewalt. Only come with one battery and charger so I bought 6. At that price even I can afford the convenience.

Feb 3, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Yep, the system doesn't let you give a person a rating again until you rate 5 other folks. Much of the Harbour Freight stuff is junk but if you only pay $16 and use it twice a year junk is all you need. I use my tools a great eal and have to spend some bucks so they won't fail when I'm 40 miles from home on a job.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 09:08 PM
    I agree with all that you say ballenger1, but this drill is as compact and light weight as you could expect of a 18V, plenty of power, the keyless chuck works better than I expected, the batteries seem to have a better than average life while sitting on shelf. The one on my work bench was charged about a month ago and used occasionally and still has charge. The only negative I can say is that it takes 3 hours to recharge. Granted when it quits its disposable.

Feb 3, 2008, 09:29 PM
    I have bought from harbor many times because I had a limited need for a tool and did not care if it fell apart after the one use, such as my mortar mixer. I was only doing the one big job and spnet $150 buckes on their mixer. It made it through the job but died shortly there after, I did not care, I saved $150 already. The 2 ton log splitter started leaking oil after one year, the miter saw bears went out afte 18 months, reciprocating saw lasted 5minutes. The last one did bum me out. Their stuff just does not hold up but I am glad you like your drill so far. I predict your charger will fail before the 2nd anniversary date but what they heck, for $16 bucks I can accept that they are Bic disposable lighters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cordless phone rings once then goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

Why does cordless phone ring once then go dead

Problems with Panasonic KX TG2730 Cordless Phone? [ 1 Answers ]

I have this phone over two years. I never faced any problem. Recently it is giving me trouble in ringing only once, after that it gets discarded after 10 secs. So by the time I reach the phone it gets disconnected. All the callers are complaining that I should dump this phone! That's why I'm...

Panasonic digital gigarange cordless phone [ 1 Answers ]

I have the above mentioned telephone receiver which had its "Dial" Locked and the user even forgot the password they used to lock so we cannot unlock the Dial.The question is :How do I unlock this phone so that we can sue it once again to make calls? I have tried to look for a CMOS battery inside...

View more questions Search