Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenny hwang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Want to get rid of unwanted roommate not on lease
    I have roommate who is not on the lease and I want to get her out. I am 50% of the lease.
    My other roommate on the lease is away in India. Do I need to have her permission too or can I just give the unwanted roommate 30 days notice.
    She is not willing to have a civilized conversation of all the problems I have with her.
    What can I do?
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 05:39 PM
    If she is not on the lease, the she is just a "guest" unless you have some type of written agreement with her in place of her being on the lease.

Without anything in writing, I would just tell her to leave. Depending on how long she has "been a guest", I might even threaten to call the police and have her removed or charged with trespassing.

If you want to be nice, sure, give her a written 30 day notice, and mail it to her by certified mail so that she has to sign for it, and you can prove she got it if she takes you to court.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Has this roommate ever paid any rent? If so then she is a tenant and you must follow the law in your location for termination of her tenancy and filing a lawsuit for eviction if she does not leave.

At the top of the Real Estate Law forum is a sticky post with links to the laws for all of the states.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get rid of my alcoholic roommate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived with my roommate for three years, none of them happy. She is on the lease and pays her rent on time. She is an alcoholic who for the time being is trying to stop drinking. The first two years she was drunk, the last year she has been on the couch in front of the TV in our living room....

Want roommate out - yes he's on lease [ 2 Answers ]

We want to evict the lazy, male roommate that lives here. He 1) does not pay bills on time 2) forces other roomates to cover him on bills, 3) does not clean up after himself (now we have ants!) 4) has a revolving door of women (whom we hear them having sex!) 5) basically has no respect for us...

Want roommate out - no lease [ 5 Answers ]

I have a roommate I want out. She doesn't pay half the time, loud, brings in all sorts of rif-raf, eats everything (replaces nothing or pays for her own). I am the only one on the lease, she is not. Do I have to give her notice? If so how much? She has been damaging my property as of late...

Is there a time process for getting rid of a roommate [ 8 Answers ]

There is a girl who stays in me and my husband's home in our spare bedroom. She has given us monies in the past, but there is no lease, and she is residing in our home as we are. I want her to move, as we all do not get along as we thought we would. Is there a process I have to follow, or time...

Need to get rid of a roommate [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NH and I have a roommate I want to get rid of. They did not sign a lease or any type of agreement. I would like to know how to get rid of them.

View more questions Search