Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kebbin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 12:26 AM
    Old shower arm
    I'm having a difficult time taking off an old ball type end shower arm. I tried twisting it off with a wrench and I'm afraid that I'm going to break the pipe off the wall. Is there a way to check that the this old ball type end shower arm is screwed in or if the shower arm attached or is there a converter I can buy to make the end a conventional half inch shower arm? Please help. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Hi... shower arm will still be a 1/2" IPS thread behind the wall... so I am afraid you just grab on with a good pair of pliers and go for it.

Hold the arm in your left hand and turn counterclockwise with pliers (reverse if lefty)... many are hard to get out... many aren't. The point here is that most likely it will come out just fine. In 26 years I have only had three break off behind the wall... so pretty rare.

If it doesn't come out nicely then you may need to open the area around the shower arm (or on back side of wall) and repair, etc. NOT much else to do... *sorry*

OH! And if it does break off get back to us here because there are a couple options before opening wall.

I hope this helped.. if it did then please rate the answer below! Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kebbin
    im having a difficult time taking off an old ball type end shower arm. I tried twisting it off with a wrench and im afraid that im going to break the pipe off the wall. Is there a way to check that the this old ball type end shower arm is screwed in or if the shower arm attached or is there a converter i can buy to make the end a conventional half inch shower arm? please help. thanks
    Follow Massplumbers advice, he's bang on! Let me show you what's behind the tiles and what the shower arm is screwed into. Your shower head is screwed into a drop-eared ell, (see image) which is secured by two screws. Since the drop eared ell is made of brass and the shower arm is chrome over brass there can be no rust on the threads. Put a pipe wrench on that sucker and back it out. Good luck, Tom

Jan 31, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Instead of ripping it out of the wall is there a converter for the 1/2 inch shower arm?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 31, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kebbin
    instead of ripping it out of the wall is there a converter for the 1/2 inch shower arm?
    For a shower arm that ends in a ball? Not that I've ever run into. Follow Mass plumbers and simply uinscrew the damm thing. You aren't going to "rip" it out. You'r making a big operation out of a 5 minute job. Don't forget to wrap the threads in Teflon Tape when you replace the shower arm and head. Good luck, Tom

Feb 1, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Thanks guys! I ended up putting some strength in it and got it out. It was just really tight and needed an extra push. Thanks for all your help guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower arm flange [ 10 Answers ]

My carpenter made a mistake and cut the hole for the shower arm too large. I've been trying to find an oversize (3") shower arm flange to cover it but can't find one. Are there any suggestions as to how I can cover up this mistake.

Very stubborn shower arm [ 6 Answers ]

I am not very good at this happy homeower stuff and I am trying. This question may seem trivial and I am not sure what to do next. I am trying to replace a shower head that is probably the original one in my 55 year old home. I figured out that I will have to replace the shower arm (the...

How do I replace a shower arm? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 19 year old home with antique brass finish fixtures that I'd like to update to chrome. I have tried to change out the ancient, yellowed plastic handheld shower (broken handle and hose not long enough) however the shower arm has a ball at the end which will not release to allow me to...

Installing Shower Arm [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower downstairs where a 6" shower arm comes out of a wall that was connected to a 90 degree threaded joint inside the wall. My roommate without my permission took out the 6" arm and installed an 'S' arm. She did a poor job (did not take out the old thread/puddy, didn't put in new pipe...

How do I line up a shower arm [ 2 Answers ]

I have a kohler shower head and arm. The arm will not line up so that the shower head is facing down. It is almost a full half turn off. I have tried everything I know. Any ideas. Thanks a lot in advance Mike

View more questions Search