Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    briannalee1978 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Are registration fees for charity races tax deductable
    I ran in several races that were organized for charity events everything from battered children to scholarships funding to breast cancer. Are the registration fees for these races deductable?

"If you did not receive any kind of benefit in return for the payment of these registration fees, then yes."

Thank you so much for you lightening fast response. - I must now add to my question.

Some of these races give a packet of different advertising things from the sponsors. Things such as coupons, flyers, trial gym memberships, one had a ruler in it. Is this considered a benefit?

Also a few of the races gave you "a free t-shirt" if you sign up in time for them to order you one, would this be considered a benefit?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
    If you did not receive any kind of benefit in return for the payment of these registration fees, then yes.
    briannalee1978 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
    What qualifies as benefits?
    Thank you so much for you lightening fast response. - I must now add to my question.

Some of these races give a packet of different advertising things from the sponsors. Things such as coupons, flyers, trial gym memberships, one had a ruler in it. Is this considered a benefit?

Also a few of the races gave you "a free t-shirt" if you sign up in time for them to order you one, would this be considered a benefit?

This question is based off an answer to "Are race registration deductable if the event is a charity event?"
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 09:27 PM
    No, not really. These are de minimus gifts of marginal value.

The benefit that Cianci was referring to was a FEE or prize that you received for racing.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Jan 28, 2008, 06:27 AM
    No, the registration fees are not deductible. You cannot deduct entrace fees you pay to run in a race even if it is for a charitable cause.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:30 PM
    I will bow to TTE's greater wisdom on this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car registration fee tax deductible? [ 4 Answers ]

Is the car reg. I paid tax deductible?

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

Tax Advantages for small businesses donating to a 501C3 charity? [ 2 Answers ]

What tax advantages are gained by an individual or small business making a donation to a 501C3 non-profit organization? Thanks Ken

Attorneys "Cut" , Is it Tax deductable ? [ 4 Answers ]

My situation is this. An attorney was used in a disability claim against an insurance Co. . The company settled for... lets say 100 dollars. The attorney took 45 dollars right of the top and we received the 54 dollar balance. Now can the 45 dollars be a tax deduction? Or are we responsible for tax...

Are college application fees deductable? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is a high school senior, he applied to several colleges last fall of '06 at a cost of $600. Are those fees deductable from federal or California taxes? Thanks, Hackmaster4

View more questions Search