Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hopingtofixmycomputer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 10:46 PM
    Computer Keeps Rebooting
    Hello everyone, this is my 1st post.

I have an eMachines T3265. The computer is rebooting itself shortly after windows starts. I haven't installed any new software or hardware in a month and I have had no problems with the computer before today.

I tried starting in last known good configuration: no change

I swapped out the memory sticks with a known good one: no change

All of the fans are working.

I was able to reboot in safe mode. From there, I ran a virus scan but it didn't find anything. I ran the msconfig to see what programs were starting. They were all good, no malware.

What could it be? Thank you in advance for your time.

- Joe
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 2, 2006, 12:13 AM
    Hi,
    This could be due to overheating.
    Have you ever checked the event viewer? Start > Run > eventvwr.msc. Check the System Section for any critical errors. You might get some clues regarding this issue. Sometimes you will not be able to go this way so try the following.
    Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Ssytem . Double click the error and you will get a new window with complete details of the error.

Post the error.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2006, 02:12 AM
    I'll also go with overheating. Check all your fans for a build up of dust. Not just the system fans but also your heatsink, graphic card fans etc. I was having this problem once and it was done to a build up of dust in the small fan on my graphics card.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Hi,
    Since you have already swapped out the memory sticks with known good ones, you may have already looked for excessive amounts of dust on the fans, heatsinks, etc.
    Have you tried a System Restore? I assume you have XP, since you mentioned "last known good configuration".
    Here is a link with step by step on how to use the xp CD to do a system restore;
    http://computing.net/windowsxp/wwwbo...um/140403.html
    I'm not sure this will help, but it might be worth a try.
    Best of luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Viruses aren't the only type of malware. Have you also done spyware scans?

Feb 3, 2006, 11:15 AM
    I ran spybot, ad-aware, and another spyware program. Still reboots.

I ran in it safe mode for 13 hours, so is overheating still a possibility?

The event viewer didn't seem to identify any errors associated with the reboot. The errors seem to be related to booting in safe mode.

I tried to repair by doing a system restore, but I'll lose all my data on the c drive.

Thanks again everyone. If I don't solve this problem, then at least I have already learned more.

- Joe

Feb 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
    For some reason, the computer is working now. I have absolutely no idea why. The screen that popped up had an error signature code of:

BC Code 27
    BCP1: BAADC009C
    BCP2: A7F5C7E8
    BCP3: A7F5C4E4
    BCP4: A8EEA067
    OSVer: 5_1_2600
    SP:2_0
    Product: 768_1

Greek to me, can anyone interpret this? Also, another dialog box popped up saying there was an error with my configuration of Norton Antivirus.

Thanks again!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hopingtofixmycomputer
    I tried to repair by doing a system restore, but I'll lose all my data on the c drive.

Don't worry, system restore doesn't delete your data when you go back to a previous date.
    The other sort of repair that is availabke is by booting to your XP cd and working through the options.
    This reinstalls the system files over the top of what's already there, keeping your personel sattings and data.

Feb 3, 2006, 11:42 AM
    That's good news for me.

The eMachine book I got with the computer says I'll lose all data on my c drive. True? It's an eMachine restore CD, not XP. Does that make a difference? Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2006, 11:57 AM
    The eMachines retore CD WILL completely wipe your system and can't be used to do a repair on XP.
    Sorry about that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Many companies include a Recovery CD that contains an image of the hard drive as it came from the factory. Using a CD like that will restore the hard drive to the way it was when you opened the box. If you didn't get a Windows CD that you can use to do a reinstall or Repair, then you may be out of luck with that. You might be able to get one from Microsoft for a nominal fee.

System Restore is a Windows feature that just restores your configuration files to one that was previously saved. It wouldn't wipre out any data.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 3, 2006, 10:02 PM
    I go with the suggestion of ScottGem. If you use the System Restore feature of the Windows you will not loose all the data. It will restore to the previously saved status. Windows CD will be available in all computer shops or you can try with your friends who might have got it already. EMachine Restore CD, as told by Curlyben will wipe the data.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Feb 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
    I had the same problem for a while. I think it was because of a wrong driver for a sound card. The PC would reboot right after startup but work fine in safe mode. Tried reinstaling with different drivers versions. In the end I disconected my TV tuner card and then reinstaled windows and then the sound worked and windows did not restart. I think it was a faulty driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My PC is always freezing & rebooting [ 8 Answers ]

I have Windows XP. Every time I try to play free bingo the computer just freezes or reboots after a short time. I get an error message that says Error Signature BC Code 100000dl BCP1:0000F4F9 BCP200000002 BCP300000000 BCP4:F7FBB838 OSVER:5-1-2600 sp:2-0 pRODUCT:256-1 Please can you help. The PC...

Computer rebooting during scans [ 4 Answers ]

I have gone though a lot of problems and had to reformat my drive again. I have already installed all of microsofts patches and I am running zone alarm with AVG and ewido. Every time I try to run through a complete scan with ewido it restarts the computer. I ran AVG and everything checked out OK....

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search